What's new

I need some womenfolk's advice in here. Shave Sticks?

I want to surprise my wife with some Rose shaving soap. I was looking at Mama Bear's website and came across the shave sticks. I haven't used one of these myself yet, but I think I understand how they work. Do you ladies find them to be effective for leg shaving? The shape of the stick and the application method seems like it would be very conducive to leg shaving, but what do I know?

Thanks in advance.

My wife isn't allowed to touch my shave sticks anymore - you can actually see the stick disappearing in her hands as she tries to cover her whole leg with it.

I use shave sticks all the time on my legs. It contours perfectly and is super easy to glide along the skin surface.

When I'm in a hurry and want to cover more area fast, I just rub the stick into a nylon bath pouf and squeeze out huge globs of lather which can pretty much cover an entire leg in seconds. This method also works well to exfoliate post shave. It works equally well for underarms.

Hope that helps!

Sue

I posed the question to SWMBO.

SWMBO says "I dont like the shave stick thingy".
"I really love the feel of the warm brush dipped in that TOBS Rose in the bowl. The stick thing is clumsy.":tongue_sm

I usually warm the scuttle and lather a 24mm super badger brush with TOBS Rose Shaving Cream for her. She has tried the La Toja Shave Stick. The scent of the La Toja may have put her off.

Terry

Thanks for the input so far. Especially yours, Honeybee Sue.

And I just realized that getting the wife into wetshaving is like a sly excuse for continuing ADs with her blessing. I just cleaned up her new Lady Gillette tonight and gave her a pack of Derbys. She'll be hooked soon...

Barber-Eile should chime in, just give her a little time.

Okay, okay, I'm here! Sheesh - I live in a different time zone so cut me some slack
:lol::lol::lol:

Okay so in regards to shave sticks: Now, had you asked me yesterday I would have been all like "Ooo I loooove them, They rock. You just rub them on like a big crayon and then use your brush on your leg to create the lather like magic! Sooo nice!" BUT up until today I had only tried the Arko shave stick (which I adore and think is magic in a stick.)

Today, for a change, I used the erasmic shave stick. Now that is one HARD shave stick! I wasn't so keen on it.
Firstly, it smelt like nothing at all (I find the Arko smells like clean soap which is not unpleasant at all).
Secondly it was really hard to rub against my skin even after soaking the tip. Thirdly, the lather is gave was fine but not a patch on the Arko.
And Fourthly, and this is the biggie,.. the stick could not hold up to being in a shower. The "holder" it comes with is useless and though I only peeled back half an inch of the paper that covers it, by the end of my shower I just has to take it all off as it turned to mush in the damp. I have no idea how I'm going to hold this stick for any future uses. When I got my Arko I peeled back about an inch of the covering and put some sellotape around it at the top and at the bottom and it's holding up just fine. The paper covering the erasmic though is like tissue paper and is rubbish if it even sees water.

I think I'm going to have to buy some of those shave stick containers from Mama Bears to put my Arko and Erasmic in - they're reusable so thats good too...
Which leads me onto the great news!
All of Mama Bear's shave sticks come in this handy-dandy plastic twist-up container that really sells them to me. Now I've yet to try her shave sticks but I've used 5 of her soaps and I love them all. In fact I love them so much I'm going to buy some of her containers just so I can melt the soaps of hers that I own into shave sticks!!!
I know, I should have bought the sticks in the first place but I do like to bowl lathering when I have the time (once in a blue moon it seems).

Still, I'll be converting most of my soaps to stick form I think simply because I love using them that way. They are nice and compact for travelling that way too. I'll probably leave a bit in each soap container too in case I ever want to bowl lather them - the best of both options!

Oh and I see you've already seem everything myself and a_bit_crafty wrote on the leg shaving wiki so I hope that helped a bit too.

Oh and David - I hope your wife gets the package soon - I threw in a couple of extra things too that I hope she likes. Including a mama bear's sampler set I made up, so if she likes the stick you get her she will know what some of the other soaps are like and can get them as sticks too!

Oh and David - I hope your wife gets the package soon - I threw in a couple of extra things too that I hope she likes. Including a mama bear's sampler set I made up, so if she likes the stick you get her she will know what some of the other soaps are like and can get them as sticks too!

Thanks. You rock.

My wife actually likes to bowl lather. She tried one of Gent's Best shave sticks and said it was not bad and heads and tails above a LaToja.... go Figure

Top Bottom