What's new

I need an idea for this reknot

I got this black handled brush to reknot with a TGN boar that I have laying around. The problem is that there is about a 4mm gap around the top of the brush and the edge of the knot.
You can see in picture 3 that the gap easily holds up my injector blade holder.

I want to set the loft as high as possible given the scrubbiness of this knot so I was looking around for ferrules in black but with no luck.

Are they available or what else would you suggest ?

thanks

Perhaps some PVC that you could simply paint black?

Hate to veer from the original question, but I have to ask. Which TGN knot is that? I don't believe I have seen that on their site.

Dye some epoxy black with oil based paint and coat the inside of the hole to the diameter you need, sand and you are good to go. I suggest using epoxy gel as it will stay put and build a thicker coat. I always glue my knots in with a perimeter bead so a little space is not an issue, but doing it in stages on that large a gap with that much color contrast would likely be better.

That is a striking combination and will look great.

Perhaps some PVC that you could simply paint black?

Hate to veer from the original question, but I have to ask. Which TGN knot is that? I don't believe I have seen that on their site.

I think it's a UK creme boar, 22mm. I bought it some time ago and am finally getting around to finishing it. I think Tony doesn't carry them anymore

Dye some epoxy black with oil based paint and coat the inside of the hole to the diameter you need, sand and you are good to go. I suggest using epoxy gel as it will stay put and build a thicker coat. I always glue my knots in with a perimeter bead so a little space is not an issue, but doing it in stages on that large a gap with that much color contrast would likely be better.

That is a striking combination and will look great.

You gave me an idea. I could fill the handle with dyed epoxy, then redrill it.
Maybe.

I've done a restore with that exact knot, go ahead and drop it down another mm or so and fill the handle gap, it will break in and be soft and fine...mine turned out to be a shedder, but it broke in pretty quickly and was fine. I don't remember the exact loft...but it was a mm or 2 above the plug.

Hope that helps.

OtherMoe kinda confirmed what I said...setting it a little lower won't hurt the performance.

I use a synthetic cork to fill most of the handle. Then use epoxy putty to fill the rest level to the top of the hole. Let dry and re-drill to the depth you want.

I have that same knot and also set it a little lower. It filled up the space. Unfortunately, mine liked to lose hairs for a while, but it seems to have slowed down.

Attachments

• $chubbs2.jpg
    $chubbs2.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 114
Same knot (22mm Cream Boar from TGN, same issue in handle, Filled with epoxy and redrilled.

I set mine a little lower, bad angle in my photo, does not look set deep, but my knot hole is probbaly 15-18mm deep. I also have the 20mm Cream Boar and it was fairly floppy when wet.

OtherMoe, I like the way that looks a lot. I'll try to remember that trick - it might come in handy sometime!

Hex, you should do this!

Thanks for the excellent suggestions guys.

I was surprised to hear that it was still fairly soft even with a short loft.

I plan to forge ahead as soon as I finish some other HoneyDo tasks on my never-ending list.

Top Bottom