What's new

I need a new brew

If I grind say half a cup worth of whole bean (for example) and keep it sealed in the fridge, do I really need to scale it?
If I measure the amount added to each brewing by tablespoons.

I'm of the opinion that freshly ground beans that are brewed literally minutes after being ground will provide the best taste in the cup. If you have a grinder at home and can do it, why grind in advance? As for measuring, everything I've read is by weight but if you can dial in the proper ratios by volume then more power to you. I think weight would be more exact because the size of the grind could result in different volumes. Probably not by much but there could be a difference. Not everyone has to be as painstakingly crazy about measurements as I am. That's just me.

Last edited:
I too have used the Aeropress for several years with great success. Since getting my Rancilio Silvia espresso machine that has been sidelined and used mostly for camping trips though.

Mike

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I completely agree that grinding fresh is very much worth the effort. That improves anything. I've also seen and things say that keeping ground coffee in the refrigerator actually can be worse than keeping it in the counter due to condensation on the grounds (freezer is better than the fridge).

I do like Peet's for supermarket coffee. Go with what sounds good to you and try stuff until you find something that works. But, yet, good artisan coffee beats all. See if you have any nearby roasters.

Measuring coffee by weight also helps, at least with consistency. A kitchen scale is worth having, anyhow. If you get a French press, just weigh and grind while your water heats.

Sweet Marias is a green coffee bean supplier. They offer limited amounts of roasted coffee. Have been a Peet's drinker since '79 until I started home roasting Sweet Marias beans 15 years or so ago. I'd start there.

BTW if you invest enough time in getting one good batch from a pound of home roasted beans you'll find the time. Just sayin'.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
BTW if you invest enough time in getting one good batch from a pound of home roasted beans you'll find the time. Just sayin'.

That's very true. It takes a bit of doing to get a handle on roasting, but then it's just a matter of figuring out how to get it just like you want it, rather than making something good. From the moment I think "I need to roast," it takes about 30 minutes until I'm done roasting, and only about half of that is hands on time. That gets me a half pound, and it's just like I like it (most of the time--I also like to play around). There's a little extra cleaning up from time to time, but not much extra time. It's a good hobby.

According to my Miami connection, both brands are own by the same company. Both are high Robusto blends. Consider trying Lavazza Crema.

Top Bottom