What's new

I made my own toner!

I was looking for a good toner product since I'm in my last bottle of Thayers (btw, I found today a half-full -or half-empty if you prefer- bottle of Medicated Superhazel in one of our bathrooms, but I still hate the scent, that clove oil killed it for me).

I decided to make my own. "Why not" I thought, it should be easy to make one. I looked at the ingredients list of Thayers and other toners. I also asked for suggestions. Some told me to make a mix, others told me to use the pure witch hazel as it is. Again, thank you for the ideas. I read a few articles on the web regarding the ingredients that most toners have.

So, today I bought the following:

• Purified water
  • Ethanol
  • Pure witch hazel
  • Pure aloe vera
  • Calendula officinalis extract (which gave the light yellow color to the toner)
  • A few bottles

I also used a funnel that I already had to fill the bottles without any leakage.

Here is the result:

proxy.php

I shaked it a bit:

proxy.php

My personal bottle:

proxy.php

I can't imagine myself using the pure witch hazel as it is. What I didn't know until today is that the scent of pure witch hazel is pretty heavy and strange. But, if you mix it with other ingredients, the scent is not a problem, you don't smell it.

This is a 1000ml bottle. It will last me for years. It cost me about 19 euros, which is an excellent price for the quality (and the quantity). All ingredients I bought are of high quality. It would have cost me a lot (A LOT) less, if I had bought larger quantities. Truth is I didn't need more and I wasn't sure that this could work or I'd just throw away everything.
In case you've been wondering, yes, the profit margin of the artisans is huge, not to say anything about the big companies.

The good thing is this. I used it a bit earlier as a toner and it performs as I hoped. It firms and tones the skin, just like the Thayers (if not better). It is watery, not sticky and there is absolutely no burn feel. It is unscented and I can use my EdT/EdP of preference without mixing different scent profiles.

I wasn't sure I could say this, but "Thayers I don't need you anymore, but thank you for your service all these years".

This was my first attempt and I couldn't be happier.

I do the same. Here are a couple of thoughts.

I use witch hazel that already has aloe and glycerin in it.
If it doesn't burn at all, you might want to kick up the alcohol level. I like a bit of burn.
If you like cooling, then you might enjoy adding some menthol crystals to all or a portion of it.

Can you explain the Calendula officinalis extract. Purpose? Scent?
I might want to add a little something extra to mine for skin conditioning.

I do the same. Here are a couple of thoughts.

I use witch hazel that already has aloe and glycerin in it.
If it doesn't burn at all, you might want to kick up the alcohol level. I like a bit of burn.
If you like cooling, then you might enjoy adding some menthol crystals to all or a portion of it.

Can you explain the Calendula officinalis extract. Purpose? Scent?
I might want to add a little something extra to mine for skin conditioning.
Calendula or Marigold is a great ingredient. I have a light balm with aloe and marigold and it leaves my skin very smooth.

Marigold is used for medical uses. It helps the skin heal faster, prevents infection, shallows scratches etc.

I highly recommend it.

Edit: it has a scent, but if you use it properly (let's say 1-2% max) you can't smell it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for sharing, I have thought about making my own toner but I have never tried. I just might have to now.

Very cool!
If I may ask, what is ratio of each ingredient used in your toner recipe? Is it one of each ingredient?

Top Bottom