What's new

I Love Proraso....What's Next???

There are several replies pointing me to Stirling. Is there a "go-to" scent that I should start with?
If you have a container, even some cheap Tupperware, you should consider getting samples. They are under $4 each and give you an ounce of soap (most vendors are 1/4 oz samples). Should be enough for 15+ shaves, I'd say.

This will give you a good idea of what is out there, and what scent types you prefer (fougere, gourmand, etc)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Big fan of Tabac, nobody can fault it's performance. The smell however leads to endless debate, love it or hate it.

I have used all the Prorasso versions and it's good. Not particularly crazy about the smell and I sometimes find it goes dry and flaky on my skin when I take too long with a shave.

Cella is very good, I would place it second only to Tabac.

Next one on my list to try is MWF, seems experiences differ, maybe because it reacts differently to the type of water in the area.

Others I look forward to trying is Taylor of old Bond Street and Haslinger.

My reasoning is that when a shaving soap company has been in business for a long time, they must be doing something right.

Is Arko worth a try? I hear that it's garbage, but I also hear some serious fanboys...

It's got a following for a good reason. It performs way above it's price point. So if you order through a vendor that sells it. Add it onto your order. A stick is only $2-$3.

Like someone already mentioned seek out the threads here that bring out people’s evaluation methods and emotions and see what people like and why. I think you’ll see birds of a feather flocking together, meaning everyone who prioritizes the same characteristics goes for a certain list of soaps. The secondary consideration for most people then is scent. A prime example is I shave with straights so I look for slick lather and a silky moisturized post-shave face feel- therefore I go for Grooming Dept (when I can find it!), with Haslinger Schafmilch/Viking/Cella as backup soaps. Many people who have my soap priorities also like Wholly Kaw and Barrister & Mann, I haven’t tried WK but B&M just doesn’t seem to work in my hard water. I also have samples of Murphy &McNeil to try out next, because that’s the new darling soap of the post-shave focused straight razor crowd.

If your priority is scent or a different lather attribute, or your skin/hair is drastically different, or you shave with a DE it follows to reason that your soap preferences won’t match up to mine. That’s why it’s important to go read the threads that expose people’s soaps and their thought processes behind their selection and try to find your crowd.

Samples are your friend too. A wise man on here (who turned me on to Grooming Dept!) told me “the most expensive soap is the one you don’t finish using.” He was trying to justify to me(and to himself?) the price of grooming dept, but wiser words have never been spoken on this subject.

For whatever it’s worth, there was a recent thread on choosing one soap forever and why, and Tabac was by far the most popular choice.

Proraso red was my first and I still use it regularly. But honestly,Tabac is the best in my stash followed closely by any B&M soap.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Arko, Cella, Tabac, Palmolive just to name a few. There are SO many great soaps out there. You are going to have fun trying them and you are going to develop SAD.

As mentioned Haslinger

Or maybe try another Italian soap like Sopanifico Veresino.

If you like Arko. Add a stick of Derby to your next order. It's cheap and performs similarly to Arko. With a slightly different scent.

+3! Especially Haslinger (one of my favorites). You also ‘need’ Cella and Tabac to help set a good baseline.

+3! Especially Haslinger (one of my favorites). You also ‘need’ Cella and Tabac to help set a good baseline.

I have Cella as well as the others here and it’s probably underrated. If tomorrow weren’t Tabac Wednesday at my house, I’d use it tomorrow, but there’s Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom