What's new

I Love Proraso....What's Next???

So I'm fairly new to wet shaving, and I've started out with Proraso products (white soap, green soap, blue cream), and I love them all. However, something tells me there's so much more out there, and I'd love to try a second brand. What are your best suggestions? I've considered Mitchell's wool fat, Cella, TOBS, etc. Keep in mind, I'm not a fan of Sandalwood at all.

Give anything from Barrister and Mann in Excelsior and pretty much anything from WSP a look.

WSP comes in smaller tins but I can tell you as someone that’s trying to 3017 one of their soaps it lasts a WHILE.

I’ve not been through too many soaps since i use one puck before starting another, but i’ve been using the Grooming Department preshave and it’s awesome. Given the quality of that product and the amount of love their soaps get, i’d try one of their varieties out. Of the soaps i’ve tried, i hate to say it but Arko thus far has been the best performer. Many hate the scent but it’s so cheap it’s worth trying.

Haslingers are a win win. I like RazoRock XXX.

As far as creams go, I like Geo Trumper
Spanish Leather and Castle Forbes Lime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Grab some samples, you can find them at Maggardrazors. Southern Witchcrafts, Declaration Grooming, Chiseled Face, Noble Otter, Australian Private Reserve, Storybook Soapworks, Barrister & Mann and so many others. Grab an empty tub so it's easier to load the brush.

You should check the threads where people say what soap they used that day and see what people are using. Once you have some names, do a search of that soap and see what threads pop up where posters talk about the performance of the soap. After reading people's reviews, some will resonate and others not so much. Go with your gut. And have fun. The best part is the exploration of all the stuff you can use in this hobby.

As mentioned Haslinger

Or maybe try another Italian soap like Sopanifico Veresino.

If you like Arko. Add a stick of Derby to your next order. It's cheap and performs similarly to Arko. With a slightly different scent.

As mentioned Haslinger

Or maybe try another Italian soap like Sopanifico Veresino.

If you like Arko. Add a stick of Derby to your next order. It's cheap and performs similarly to Arko. With a slightly different scent.
Is Arko worth a try? I hear that it's garbage, but I also hear some serious fanboys...

I would love to know what 3017 means...

It means to use one product either exclusively or mostly exclusively until it’s gone.

Lot of us have enough of a rotation to last years, it’s the only way we’ll finish anything lol

I have what a lot of guys here would consider a very modest collection, and I could use a different soap/AS every day for about 6 weeks.

I’m about a month in on this tin of WSP and it’s not even half gone, and I shave daily. If you go with WSP it’s gonna last for a while.

If you’re really looking for something to use for a long time though, check out Martin de Candre, you can search here and read about it.

Comes in a 200 gram tub and would last about a year of daily shaves.

Is Arko worth a try? I hear that it's garbage, but I also hear some serious fanboys...

100%. It’s a great soap. Even those that say it’s garbage don’t tend to knock the performance. It’s the scent that’s...polarizing. Some absolutely hate it, others don’t mind. It’s far from the best smelling soap but i don’t find it offensive. I use it as my travel soap and i’m consistently impressed by how good it is.

I'd echo tabac and Stirling as well as oleo. Lots of scents with Stirling and oleo.

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk

Williams / VDH -> Proraso / Arko -> Tabac -> British creams -> US artisan soaps.

That's the proper shaving soap pilgrimage.

Check out the scents on the website for descriptions and you can get samples which are pretty generous for the price.

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom