What's new

I love a Serendipitous Moment.

So...back in 2015 some low life broke into my Explorer. Sunday, broad daylight, shopping market parking lot in Atlanta (go figure)....
Made off with my 5.11 backpack containing (among other stuff) my Merkur Futur DE, Thiers Issard 1937 Coiffeur straight razor and a loaded Beretta Nano 9mm in a Ritchie Leather holster. Home and auto insurance....nah. NRA picked up some of the loss. Replaced the Beretta with a Glock 26. I like the Glock but really missed that Nano. Fast forward to last Saturday......
Got a "we have a sale" email from Bud's. Eh, what else is new???
Seems they have a big sale on Nanos, good price too.
Interesting aside is they say you can choose the serial number you like from their in stock inventory. Sounds cool. I see what numbers they have available. No, my stolen one isn't in the mix.
But....I see a Nano up for grabs with serial number NUxxx370.
370!! That was my old police radio call ID/badge number!!!
Yeah...Had to have it. Ritchie Bros. are making me a new holster for it too.
Life can be curious.

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Speaking of Hotlanta...

Back in the very early 1970s I was living in Atlanta and working for a company who's Headquarters were on Little Santa Monica in LA two doors from Fredrich's of Hollywood (but that's another story). This was when there were still operators that placed long distance calls. The process was to dial "0" and tell the operator what number you wanted and the party name, the operator then contacted another operator on the receiving end and gave them the number which they then dialed and patched you through. If the party was not there then the operator on the receiving would leave a call-back number. Since the home office had a WATTS line (800 number) we always called person to person and the receptionist always said that person was not in. Then they would call back on the WATTS line which pinched pennies.

The conversation went something like this:

The California operator was a surfer dude, really unusual for the time and on the Atlanta end was a Southern Bell southern belle.

southern belle: "Please tell them to call fo oh fo... two nein two, fo oh fo oh."
surfer dude: "Say Wah"
southern belle: "Call Fo Oh Fo Two Nein Two Fo Oh Fo Oh!"
sufer dude: "Say WAH??" (sound of him taking a hit)
southern belle: "Call FO OH FO TWO NEIN TWO FO OH FO OH!!!!!"

Long Pause

sufer dude: "Cool"

Back in the latter half of 1968 when I was fresh out of pharmacy school, i worked in a small town that had an operator system. Most of the local numbers were three digits. You picked up the receiver and the operator said "number please" Most often you just told her who you wanted to talk to. I learned somewhere that the phone company wanted to put in a dial system some years earlier, but an overwhelming majority of the local residents and businesses wanted to keep their operator system.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
So...back in 2015 some low life broke into my Explorer. Sunday, broad daylight, shopping market parking lot in Atlanta (go figure)....
Made off with my 5.11 backpack containing (among other stuff) my Merkur Futur DE, Thiers Issard 1937 Coiffeur straight razor and a loaded Beretta Nano 9mm in a Ritchie Leather holster. Home and auto insurance....nah. NRA picked up some of the loss. Replaced the Beretta with a Glock 26. I like the Glock but really missed that Nano. Fast forward to last Saturday......
Got a "we have a sale" email from Bud's. Eh, what else is new???
Seems they have a big sale on Nanos, good price too.
Interesting aside is they say you can choose the serial number you like from their in stock inventory. Sounds cool. I see what numbers they have available. No, my stolen one isn't in the mix.
But....I see a Nano up for grabs with serial number NUxxx370.
370!!
That was my old police radio call ID/badge number!!!
Yeah...Had to have it. Ritchie Bros. are making me a new holster for it too.
Life can be curious.

Neat! My last call number was 170.

Pics. of it and the new holster when it arrives or it didn't happen.

Top Bottom