What's new

I just wanted a cheap blister-packed pipe.

Perhaps ten years ago, I got rid of all my pipes and haven't had one since. I've been thinking I'd like to have one again, so have just started looking a little.

So I was in the local Wal Mart this morning and thought I would see if they sold pipes. You know, like Grabow, Kaywoodie, maybe Yello-Bole.

Anyway, I went to the particular register that sells tobacco products, and asked if they had pipes. The young lady told me she didn't think so, but then she went and asked her boss.

He told me to try the local HEAD SHOP! :scared:

Well -- that kind of store that carries one or two boxes of cigars so they can call themselves a cigar shop, but their REAL sales are in the area of glass pipes...

Riiiight... Way to go WAL MART.

Perhaps ten years ago, I got rid of all my pipes and haven't had one since. I've been thinking I'd like to have one again, so have just started looking a little.

So I was in the local Wal Mart this morning and thought I would see if they sold pipes. You know, like Grabow, Kaywoodie, maybe Yello-Bole.

Anyway, I went to the particular register that sells tobacco products, and asked if they had pipes. The young lady told me she didn't think so, but then she went and asked her boss.

He told me to try the local HEAD SHOP! :scared:

Well -- that kind of store that carries one or two boxes of cigars so they can call themselves a cigar shop, but their REAL sales are in the area of glass pipes...

Riiiight... Way to go WAL MART.

Well most people I know that shop at Walmart regularly are after munchies and to watch movies for free in the electronic section... I can see their confusion. Still makes me sad. Is there a tobacconist in your area or at least a cigar shop that might have a few cheapos kicking around. If worse comes to worse... online sites are cheap.

Some of those other smoking accessories shops may still have what you are looking for as well, never know. I was highly surprised by one in my area that actually turns out to be a full complete smoke shop. Hookahs, glass pipes, low to really high end wood pipes, a large wall of custom blend pipe tobacco, giant cases of cigars, and so on.

If you are looking for a cheap blister packed pipe, your better bet would be either Rite Aid, or Walgreens. Both seem to have a decent selection of the over the counter (aka classic) pipe tobaccos as well.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
gotta love Walmart! the first thing that comes to mind is they might have had a few people in there asking for "head shop pipes" in the past and that's where his head was. I know i've seen a few gentlemanly pipes at my local walmart, I can't tell you what kind though, and they were with the rest of the tobacco products.

reminds me when I worked at a couple OfficeMax and Office Depot stores people would come in asking for scales. Now I don't like to judge a book by its cover, so i'd walk them over to the shipping scales "aw nah man you aint got hand scales?" or "any of these weigh grams?" or they would ask for baggies....yes we sell sandwich baggies...ohhhh I see, you just want to pack a single grape or wedge of an apple...no sorry nothing that small. Just out of spite i'd never suggest the local head shops..."nope sorry no clue where you'd find that"

gotta love Walmart! the first thing that comes to mind is they might have had a few people in there asking for "head shop pipes" in the past and that's where his head was. I know i've seen a few gentlemanly pipes at my local walmart, I can't tell you what kind though, and they were with the rest of the tobacco products.

reminds me when I worked at a couple OfficeMax and Office Depot stores people would come in asking for scales. Now I don't like to judge a book by its cover, so i'd walk them over to the shipping scales "aw nah man you aint got hand scales?" or "any of these weigh grams?" or they would ask for baggies....yes we sell sandwich baggies...ohhhh I see, you just want to pack a single grape or wedge of an apple...no sorry nothing that small. Just out of spite i'd never suggest the local head shops..."nope sorry no clue where you'd find that"

If they couldn't figure out where to find that stuff, and were looking for it in a Staples, they were already too burnt and past any actual help you could give them, anyways. *facepalm*

Well most people I know that shop at Walmart regularly are after munchies and to watch movies for free in the electronic section... I can see their confusion. Still makes me sad. Is there a tobacconist in your area or at least a cigar shop that might have a few cheapos kicking around. If worse comes to worse... online sites are cheap.

Yeah, sure! About a hundred miles southeast of me in Lubbock, or about 225 miles west of me in Albuquerque! :blush:

Some of those other smoking accessories shops may still have what you are looking for as well, never know. I was highly surprised by one in my area that actually turns out to be a full complete smoke shop. Hookahs, glass pipes, low to really high end wood pipes, a large wall of custom blend pipe tobacco, giant cases of cigars, and so on.

I've checked the ones in my area, while looking for cigars. They're not really worth going into.

If you are looking for a cheap blister packed pipe, your better bet would be either Rite Aid, or Walgreens. Both seem to have a decent selection of the over the counter (aka classic) pipe tobaccos as well.

We do have a Walgreens's here, I'll go check it out when I get a chance.

But at some point I'll run over to Lubbock for a nice Peterson. I'm only looking for a cheapo to get by until then.

Last edited:
you can order the MM bag of smokable seconds too. I have heard from some folks that it is the best way to go.

I bought my first MM pipe at Walgreen's pharmacy for like $6. I more recently returned to buy one of the Dr Grabows they sold, just to flesh out my rotation a little bit. I asked where the tobacco products are and was told they don't sell tobacco any more. I asked if they still had pipes, and they did, tucked down beside the nicotine patches and such behind the counter. It was about $30 for the Dr Grabow Grand Duke and $5 for a 30 pack of filters. Of course that's Massachusetts prices, costs may be different where you live. It's all definitely cheaper online if you can order somewhere.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've seen those Grabows in the blister pack hanging on the wall behind the cash register of every CVS and Walgreens I've ever walked into.

Right above the packages of Borkum Riff :scared:

I've seen those Grabows in the blister pack hanging on the wall behind the cash register of every CVS and Walgreens I've ever walked into.

Right above the packages of Borkum Riff :scared:
Well it is good to know that the next time I fly to the US if my luggage is lost I can pick up toiletries and a pipe with tobaccon HAHAHAHA

I have a pretty decent pipe collection, but I have long wanted a drugstore Grabow. I can buy a Dunhill directly from Dunhill here in Hong Kong, but there are no Grabows anywhere. Ah well, I guess I'll have to make do with my fancy Italians. :laugh:

I have a pretty decent pipe collection, but I have long wanted a drugstore Grabow. I can buy a Dunhill directly from Dunhill here in Hong Kong, but there are no Grabows anywhere. Ah well, I guess I'll have to make do with my fancy Italians. :laugh:

Oh gee... how horrible of a situation. I'd have it if I couldn't get Grabows easy, but Dunhill and fancy Italians were available that simply. lol

I actually bought all my pipes online! I couldn't get a Grabow for a price I considered fair for a drugstore pipe: for $45-50 I could pick up a nice vintage pipe, so it didn't make much sense. I haven't smoked from any of my pipes in months, but I think I will pull one out for a smoke tomorrow. :)

I'll find a brand-new Grabow and trade you one-for-one! :lol:

Top Bottom