What's new

I just bought a Schick Krona!

My Krona just shipped today. Seller took longer than normal to ship but that's OK. They were generous enough (because of the delay) to ship Priority mail so it should arrive by Saturday according to USPS. And they did that at their will without even asking me. Oregon-Florida is a long way and more expensive than First class mail! I'll be asking them how much they paid for Priority in order for me to pay the difference. I feel bad because I paid $10 for the razor which means they probably didn't make any profit:(
I'll post some pics and my first shave results after I receive it!

Same Blade, Different Razor
Yesterday's shave was a new Derby Extra in a 40's Super Speed. The shave was smooth, but not very close, especially around my neck under my chin.
for a brand new blade, I expected the Derby to shave better, even though it's never been a favorite.

Today, I put that disappointing Derby blade into one of my Kronas. The shave was BBS close and smooth.

The moral of the story is that a blade often shaves radically different in different razors. The Krona isn't all that glamorous, but it's beauty for me is that will give me an exceptional shave using any of the oddball blades i've accumulated over the years.

My Krona finally arrived today!
Amazing purchase for $10. I had it go through 2 ultrasonic baths and some scrubbing with dawn just because it was kind of dirty and to sanitize it and:
It looks like it's never been used!
This razor was obviously kept in a dry environment. It's perfect!
I'd love to know what year it's from but I guess it's hard to tell with Krona's!
Maybe someone here has a method for that?
Anyways, I'll be having my first Schick shave tonight:

full

full

full

full

full

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'd love to know what year it's from but I guess it's hard to tell with Krona's!
Maybe someone here has a method for that?
Well, since it has the short metal knob it is pre-1967 Eversharp ('65-'66).
Actually not a Krona yet at this point but that's a different matter.

You might find some good info in this thread --> The when is it a Schick Krona and when is it not DE timeline - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-when-is-it-a-schick-krona-and-when-is-it-not-de-timeline.573806/

Well, since it has the short metal knob it is pre-1967 Eversharp ('65-'66).
Actually not a Krona yet at this point but that's a different matter.

You might find some good info in this thread --> The when is it a Schick Krona and when is it not DE timeline - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-when-is-it-a-schick-krona-and-when-is-it-not-de-timeline.573806/
I just did some looking around and found a timeline on another website.
Apparently the short metal knob (Eversharp) with the Schick logo is said to have been produced between 1965-1968.
It's also supposed to be the most aggressive out of the 3 variants that existed throughout their history.

Last edited:
I just did some looking around and found a timeline on another website.
Apparently the short metal knob (Eversharp) with the Schick logo is said to be produced between 1965-1968.
It's also supposed to be the most aggressive out of the 3 variants that existed throughout their history.
Sorry, correction:
Mine would be Variant #2 (less aggressive than #1).
And the information in your link is the same exact info that I found on the other website, LOL!!
I guess it was posted by the same member on 2 different forums!

I think the long knob started before '68.
I'm just going by the info posted in the link. I by no means have any knowledge of any of this, Lol!!
At least knowing what decade it was made is a good thing.
Better than nothing I guess!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I just pulled some of mine out. I've only got one Krona (my original I bought in '69, plastic knob).
SCHICK on one door, KRONA on the other, all caps.

The other three are a Schick long metal knob, a Schick plastic knob, and a grey handle, long metal knob Eversharp Eagle.
No names on any of the doors.

Somewhere I've got one with Schick on both doors, not all caps.

I'll be using some Schicks this weekend, thanks for the cue!

First shave with my Krona (or any Krona for that matter)
After bath nightly 2 pass WTG/XTG shave (2 day growth this time)
-I used a new Gillette Platinum blade
-TOBS Cedarwood shaving cream
-Proraso Red After shave

My basis for comparison would be my other recently acquired vintage razors:
1963 SS flare tip
1958 Red tip
1974 black handle SS
But I'm sure I'll make some mention of one (or more) of my modern razors somewhere in this post!

Note: Every time I review something, I say it how it is!
If it's good it's good and if it's not, I clearly point it out and move on to the next one!

At first I didn't know what to expect. The handle is long and thin (And I don't like long handles).
And I've also read that it's a relatively mild razor (I typically like a more aggressive/efficient razor with some blade feel).
First of all these razors feel incredibly solid and it's evident how well built they are.
When I took the first stroke I realized that the long handle works really well. It feels great!
I think it's the fact that it tapers as it gets closer to the head. It just feels right and has really good grip.
The length of long handles is usually intrusive to me because on the down stroke, they rub my inner shoulders.
Somehow, this one doesn't do that. I guess it must be some Eversharp magic, LOL!!
Well, the shave was ridiculously smooth in every pass. So smooth that I wondered what the end result was going to be. The razor itself has a mild noise as it shaves so it's not very loud.

The blade feel is on the low side but it is present. All in all, a pretty mild feeling razor!
The head is pretty slim so it's good for trimming the sides of my goatee (I like this alot).
I'd be shocked if I ever got nicked with this thing. It's definitely an autopilot, get up and go razor!
The result after running my hand on my face (after my after shave dried) was shocking!
I got a nearly BBS shave (which is what I aim for) from a razor that made me feel that the result wasn't going to be anything like that. I have a problem area on one side of my Goatee that is my gauge on how each pass works on a razor. The Krona took care of it on the first pass!

My face feels smooth as glass, refreshed and no irritation whatsoever. This thing shaves like a dream!
I would dare say that the result (not the way it feels as it shaves) is superior to the results from my vintage Gillette's.
Once again, I've once again had an experience with a vintage razor (this time, one that cost me $10) that has made me question my modern razors and why I own them. My favorite modern is my Above The Tie Windsor SS 0.80. It's a fantastic razor, but I have to face the fact that this Krona gives equal results. Whether I like it or not, the fact is that the ATT is money blown. It's pretty, modern and works great but that doesn't justify $200. It just doesn't!
Anyways, I like it so much, that I'll probably end up looking for a "NOS" one to buy just to have a new one in rotation.

I have a 1962 Slim adjustable and a 1976 Super Adjustable 109 on the way as well!
When those arrive, I'll be comparing them to the Krona (and the others) as well.
Should be interesting!
So that was my wonderful first time Schick experience.
As always though, YMMV!

LRod

Last edited:
@LRod , how’s that ToBS Cedarwood? I almost ordered it but opted for Stirling Unscented instead.
I've been using it every day for like 4 months straight, LOL!
I love TOBS performance and love the Cedarwood scent. It's not overpowering whatsoever and it just smells wonderful.
Pretty much every time I walk by the jar, I open it and take a whiff!
I don't think I will ever get bored of it. My other favorite is Proraso red Sandalwood.
I'm not a soap connoisseur, I like basic scents and stick with them for long periods of time.
For example, my daily cologne is Kouros which is old school. I've been using it since the early 90's!
I've had the urge of trying Stirling because people rave about them but have never done it.
Maybe some day!

Last edited:
Anyone know why so many Krona's being sold are in such decent condition?
I've noticed this and find it strange. If you look at same time period Gillette's, lots of them look like they've lived in the ocean.
Did Schick use superior materials manufacturing their razors or does anyone have any other explanation?
Note: I've also noticed this with their injector line!

Just wanted to reaffirm something:
I shaved last night with my 62' Super speed.
I love how it feels when it shaves and the feedback that it gives. But the Krona does a better end job. I don't get how it can be so smooth and so efficient at the same time.
Something about the Schick head design that makes it the superior shaver. Bottom line is that I can't believe how good this thing works!
My Slim adjustable & Super adjustable arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to see if adjusting the blade gap on those can compete with the Krona.
So far I've just used a Gillette Platinum blade with the Krona. I'm gonna experiment with sharper blades as well to see how it works with those. If the shave is close with the GP, I can't imagine how much closer it would be with Feather or Wilkinson blades!

Top Bottom