What's new

I (heart) Gillette Slim

I love the Gillette Slim Adjustable, and the world should know it.

My first really good BBS shave as a newbie was with the 1965 K1 model and a Feather blade. Sadly, I sold it. (The razor, not the blade.) Why? I don't know. I only know I was kicking myself afterward. And I've regretted the sale ever since. Oh, well. That is life, right?

Fast forward a few months. Sunday I was visiting the local flea market--only the second time ever--and found another 1965 K1 Slim Adjustable in very good condition. I paid $5.00 for it without haggling. The razor is in beautiful condition. The only flaws are (1) a little black paint is missing in the "1" (all other numbers are fully black), and there are three very small spots of brassing on the handle--barely noticeable.

Maybe it's because I'm a Buddhist, but one of my favorite razors--the 1965 K1 Slim Adjustable--came back to me. I love karma.

Enjoy the photos.

Christopher

+1000!

It is truly an awesome razor! Thanks to Chris (MTgrayling) I enjoy the shave tendered by a nice mint one every so often now. For awhile I bought and sold the things thinking they shaved like a Fat Boy--boy was I mistaken!

i have 2 slims and a super adjustable, my day to day razor is still a schick krona, im starting to think gillettes are overrated,

i have 2 slims and a super adjustable, my day to day razor is still a schick krona, im starting to think gillettes are overrated,

Blasphemer! Infidel! Not-nice man! LOL :eek:

(It's a YMMV thing. Enjoy the Krona.)

Christopher =)

I too love my slim. I basically began with one and always seem to come back to it. It may not give me the absolute best shave but always gives a very good one and I don't have to worry about being as careful as I would with some other razors, like my slant.

i know gillettes are very well regarded here, i have 3 as i said before, i used them, i thought that the krona was smoother, theres not much more to it.

She's a beauty Christopher. :blush:

i know gillettes are very well regarded here, i have 3 as i said before, i used them, i thought that the krona was smoother, theres not much more to it.

I have to agree with Aevum about the way the Krona shaves. I love the way mine shaves, like a 40'ss SS smoooth, but there is just something about holding a heavy piece of American metal that the plastic handled Krona lacks.

I shaved with it (her) this morning. What a glorious shave! The smoothiness is fantastic!

I (heart) smoothiness.

Christopher

She's a beauty Christopher. :blush:

I have to agree with Aevum about the way the Krona shaves. I love the way mine shaves, like a 40'ss SS smoooth, but there is just something about holding a heavy piece of American metal that the plastic handled Krona lacks.

Not to hijack this thread into a Krona thing, but I too, just love mine, and it reminds me of my 1940's SS. But, as Chris mentioned, the weight just isn't there on the Krona....but I won't be selling mine anytime soon because it shaves just so well:biggrin:

As for differences between the Fatboy and the Slim....I can't really tell that much of a difference...both are nice razors, and their aggressiveness, or lack of it, appears to be about the same.

Anyway, glad your razor found its way back home.

paydepst, I would like to hear about the differences between a FB and a Slim as far as how they shave.

Happy to oblige! Now please understand this is very much a YMMV thing and it is likely that a few in the forum will burn me in effigy for saying what I'm about to say but I found the Fat Boy unwieldy to handle whilst shaving (too fat and too short) and I found the shave quality, regardless of the setting, too aggressive. My face always felt raw afterwards and I tried it a few times before giving up. For me the much vaunted Red Tip shaves like a Fat Boy. The Slant is in the Fat Boy's league too as far as I am concerned. For a long time I assumed that the Slim shaved like an FB and never gave them a second thought when I acquired one in a lot purchase. I sold them without hesitation and then one day I saw a post where someone was talking about the differences in the shave tendered by a Slim compared to the FB. That's when I decided to look into the situation and began asking around. Of course in spite of the positive reviews I knew that the only way to truly decide was to give one a go myself and Chris came to the rescue there. For me the Slim manoevres easily (right width and length), the balance is better, and the shave (at least from 3-5) is smooth as glass. I haven't tried it on any of the other settings.

And since this has become a Krona post as well. I don't currently own a Krona but I've had both varieties in the past and I find it to be an excellent razor and a very underrated DE. I think I have to give the edge in balance and shave quality to the (mostly) all metal one but they are both great shavers.

Top Bottom