What's new

I have bought "the devil's pen" - the Ahab!

I am currently using those tiny sample bottles from Goulet Pens, so I use an ink syringe to draw up ink and then squirt that directly into the reservoir, bypassing the usual "dip nib/feed" route. I assume that the "dip nib/feed" technique is pretty fast and you then simply wipe the nib/handle off?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It does have the dreaded Noodler's smell. I expect that to go away with a week or two.

I actually kind of dug the smell- but then I am a bit off. They are great looking pens, hopefully the QC is a bit more consistant now. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I was sure I wouldn't have the trouble I had with mine.

you should be able to dip fill the ahab with 3 or so ml in a sample tube. the bottom of the tube is tapered to a cone - tip it to see if you don't know. The nib goes all the way to the bottom.

other way to prime the nib/feed is just set the pen in a cup nib down for a few minutes, maybe tap the cap in your palm a few times but that risks ink blobs inside the cap but you an rinse it out when wet easily. or just a couple shakes, like you're throwing a dart at your feet kind of motion. don't go overboard as you can start shooting ink off the bib tip.

the way the piston fills is via basic vacuum sucking the ink up through the feed. FPs exchange air and ink back and forth filling or using. the pressure has to remain equalized or you get blobs. ahabs don't have a hole drilled in the cap, at least none of mine do that i can see. back to the piston, as you pull the piston up, it creates a vacuum in the pen and sucks ink (and/or air :)) into the ink chamber through the breather tube. push down on the plunger to push ink out through the feed and the air at the top of the chamber and then repeat. 2 or 3 strokes should get your pen pretty full.

one of my ahabs is the same lapis, i like it. the nibs do need some smoothing - the goulet ones too...

oh, and the smell can take longer than a week or two to go away... <lol>

To my surprise, I am really enjoying this pen. It writes fairly smoothly (Goulet EF nib), the feed provides a good quantity of ink, and the pen itself is comfortable to hold. No problems so far with some De Atramentis Alexander Hamilton.

I will admit that the Pilot Metro writes more smoothly and caps/uncaps very easily, so I use those more at work.

To my surprise, I am really enjoying this pen. It writes fairly smoothly (Goulet EF nib), the feed provides a good quantity of ink, and the pen itself is comfortable to hold. No problems so far with some De Atramentis Alexander Hamilton.

I will admit that the Pilot Metro writes more smoothly and caps/uncaps very easily, so I use those more at work.

Glad to see that you have made friends with your Ahab. Of all the Noodler's pens I own and use (1 Creeper, 3 Ahab, 4 Konrad and 2 Acrylic Konrad) only one of the earlier Konrads gave me fits. Finally a heat set of the feed did the trick. A bit a patience and ink-stained fingers have been applied to a few of the others but the rest have been fine out of the box.

If you haven't yet, you might want to score some silicone grease and some extra piston gaskets. The grease will keep the piston seal lubricated and can also be used to seal the threads should you ever decide to ED the pen. The spare gaskets are just a good idea, IMHO.

Thanks for reminding me about the Ahab - I still need to try it with the original Noodler's flex nib (it has a Goulet EF in instead). I still want a Konrad in Baikal, but they are stubbornly out of stock. Argh . . .

OK, I thought I'd post an update about my Ahab.

It's a love/hate relationship. I really enjoy the pen's aesthetics and grip, the nice wet line, and the smoothness of the Goulet EF nib. I really don't like how it dries out on me, or how much ink it gulps (which I attribute to the very wet line - the ink has to go somewhere!). It isn't as reliable as my Nib Creaper, but the Ahab is a much nicer pen to write with once it starts writing.

OK, I thought I'd post an update about my Ahab.

It's a love/hate relationship. I really enjoy the pen's aesthetics and grip, the nice wet line, and the smoothness of the Goulet EF nib. I really don't like how it dries out on me, or how much ink it gulps (which I attribute to the very wet line - the ink has to go somewhere!). It isn't as reliable as my Nib Creaper, but the Ahab is a much nicer pen to write with once it starts writing.

I got an Ahab a couple of weeks ago. It worked fine right out of the box as a simple pen; a good deal for $20. Where folks might have a problem is if they expect that it is a flex pen. It is in fact a very stiff pen, and cannot work as a flex pen without some work on the nib with either a dremel tool or a metal file. But if you don't get your expectations up based on its advertisement as a flex pen, you might well like it. Certainly better than a Platinum Preppy.

I got an Ahab a couple of weeks ago. It worked fine right out of the box as a simple pen; a good deal for $20. Where folks might have a problem is if they expect that it is a flex pen. It is in fact a very stiff pen, and cannot work as a flex pen without some work on the nib with either a dremel tool or a metal file. But if you don't get your expectations up based on its advertisement as a flex pen, you might well like it. Certainly better than a Platinum Preppy.

a Stick dipped in ink is better than a Preppy

My guess is that the Mods will not want to take any affirmative action dissing a particular product, but I could be wrong.

My Ahab flexs enough to be noticeable. Enough so that my handwriting "coach" suggested I not use it in favor of something with a stiffer nib. My own perception was that it did not flex much even with some manipulation, but not going so far as to bring out the Dremel. Not my favorite pen for lots of reasons.

My guess is that the Mods will not want to take any affirmative action dissing a particular product, but I could be wrong.

My Ahab flexs enough to be noticeable. Enough so that my handwriting "coach" suggested I not use it in favor of something with a stiffer nib. My own perception was that it did not flex much even with some manipulation, but not going so far as to bring out the Dremel. Not my favorite pen for lots of reasons.

What would you need to Dremel on the pen?

What would you need to Dremel on the pen?

There are a number of folks who have used a Dremel (or a metal file) to work on the Ahab nib in an attempt to make it more flexible. Including myself. In its native state, the Ahab is flexible to a degree, but it is very stiff and requires a good bit of finger pressure. Enough to make a mockery of any proper grip.

My own metal work on the Ahab nib did seem to introduce a bit more flex (meaning it didn't require quite so much pressure to produce the same degree of flex), but it also impeded the ability of the pen to make fine lines. My advise: don't get an Ahab with the idea of using it for shaded pen work.

There are a number of folks who have used a Dremel (or a metal file) to work on the Ahab nib in an attempt to make it more flexible. Including myself. In its native state, the Ahab is flexible to a degree, but it is very stiff and requires a good bit of finger pressure. Enough to make a mockery of any proper grip.

My own metal work on the Ahab nib did seem to introduce a bit more flex (meaning it didn't require quite so much pressure to produce the same degree of flex), but it also impeded the ability of the pen to make fine lines. My advise: don't get an Ahab with the idea of using it for shaded pen work.

That does not sound like the pen for me then, as I prefer writing vs calligraphy lines.

Top Bottom