What's new

I don't understand Gillete's madness.

Just a thought that crept into my mind. I was browsing the Gillette website just for the hell of it, and I have noticed they have re-introduced their own version of the DE razor (The King C Gillette device), plus they have REDUCED the number of blades in one of their Fusion cartridges (named the SkinGuard) which seems to have a super-big lubrication strip (don't laugh) in lieu of the extra blades.

I never liked lubrication strips on razors as they just seem to slime my face up which I end up washing off anyway. So are Gillette trying to reclaim the DE market?

Kind thoughts. Jason.

They want to sit on all sides of the table. P&G Gillette is still producing DE blades mostly for developing countries were they can’t sell their super expensive multi blade cartridges.

As affluent young people in developed countries want to reduce plastic waste to save the world out comes the environmental friendly shaving solution from your good friends at Gillette.

Also check out their Pure shaving line - Hypocrites all together…

If they are it is a pretty weak effort!
I have to concur with your reply. To me it seems like a case of sour grapes on Gillette's behalf. For many year they kept adding extra blades to their cartridges, adding those weird rubber 'microfins' to the lower edge of the cartridge then adding those massive lubrication strips. Why would they suddenly bring out a DE razor that has NONE of the said gimmicks after all these years of those 'improvements'?

Jason.

They want to sit on all sides of the table. P&G Gillette is still producing DE blades mostly for developing countries were they can’t sell their super expensive multi blade cartridges.

As affluent young people in developed countries want to reduce plastic waste to save the world out comes the environmental friendly shaving solution from your good friends at Gillette.

Also check out their Pure shaving line - Hypocrites all together…
Hear Hear. I agree with your post.

Kind regards. Jason.

It seems like the KGC was an experiment to dip the toe into the DE market. Started at $30, now available for under $20. I picked one up for $12. As it is a Muhle head, it is a great inexpensive way to get a good DE razor at a great price. Wonder how long it will be in the marketplace.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I have the KCG razor, it is a decent razor although very mild but in truth Gillette are trying to have their cake and eat it by hawking their expensive carts to those who'll pay for them and then trying to hawk DE as a cheaper way, or as more eco- friendly or whatever you want it to be. Now all they need to do is produce a de blade that only fits Gillette razors.

If they are it is a pretty weak effort!

At least where I live, this is now basically the only DE razor available at nearly every pharmacy, supermarket, and Target/Walmart. The blades displayed alongside it are stupidly overpriced (~$6-8 for a tuck of 10). In a way, this market strategy sort of makes sense, as long as consumers don't open a webpage to do cost comparisons of blades.

I'm curious if anyone has updated figures outlining the overall market share of DE razors in the US and Canada compared to carts and electric shavers, etc in 2021.

My local Long's Drugs/CVS has their house brand of DE razor and blades. They also have Wilkinson Sword Classic blades and Schick injector blades. They now even have a shaving brush. The local Walgreens has the KCG stuff. You never know what's next.

Probably an unlikely outcome, but I think it's at least conceivable that traditional wetshaving may slowly gain traction in the market, similar to the way craft beer has over the past 25 years.

Last edited:
Just a thought that crept into my mind. I was browsing the Gillette website just for the hell of it, and I have noticed they have re-introduced their own version of the DE razor (The King C Gillette device), plus they have REDUCED the number of blades in one of their Fusion cartridges (named the SkinGuard) which seems to have a super-big lubrication strip (don't laugh) in lieu of the extra blades.

I never liked lubrication strips on razors as they just seem to slime my face up which I end up washing off anyway. So are Gillette trying to reclaim the DE market?

Kind thoughts. Jason.

Check out the Gillette Guard! This is a wicked simple, plastic razor with a great story rooted in trying to slowly convert the biggest DE market in the world (India) over to cartridge life. The Guard has nothing but one blade and plastic, no strips, lube etc and it does a pretty fine job of multi-day growth by design. Most importantly, it costs mere pennies especially if you can arrange getting it from someone visiting that area of the world. I save mine for travel if I'm flying with carry-on only.

The Gillette Heritage looks like a nice razor for $35. The King C Gillette double edge 10 pack at Walgreens for $5.99 is ridiculous. For comparison amazon is selling Astra SS for $7.50 and Gillette Platinum for $11.99 per 100. Some of the King C Gillette software is priced too high when compared to Nivea for Men, which has a good reputation.

The Gillette Heritage looks like a nice razor for $35. The King C Gillette double edge 10 pack at Walgreens for $5.99 is ridiculous. For comparison amazon is selling Astra SS for $7.50 and Gillette Platinum for $11.99 per 100. Some of the King C Gillette software is priced too high when compared to Nivea for Men, which has a good reputation.

Here’s where we talk about the difference between white markets, black markets, and gray markets.

White markets are when a product is legally distributed and sold in a territory where the manufacturer intends it to be sold.

Black markets are when products are sold in a territory where the products are not legal.

Gray markets are products legally sold in a territory where the manufacturer does not intend for them to be sold. This is technically a violation of the distributor’s contract with the manufacturer. Whether the manufacturer decides to enforce that is up to them.

All those 100 packs of blades were made for sale overseas in low income markets and are not intended for sale in the US. Sellers are committing a bit of arbitrage by offering them here, at the risk of being found in violation, though it’s apparent P&G doesn’t care enough to make a stink out of it. That isn’t true for everything though. Awhile back when the Guard came out P&G sent C&D letters to those selling them in the US, presumably to stop competition with their US market cartridge products. DE blades aren’t important enough for the effort, I guess.

The KCG blades are meant for “normal” people (i.e. those who want a clean face without making a hobby out of it.) They compete with things like the Edgewell-made store brand blades at Walgreens and whatnot, sold for nearly the same price but the KCG blades are obviously a brand. Their pricing is in line with inflation adjusted prices of DE blades before there were cartridges. So, not as much a “ripoff” as it is that that is what P&G expects blades to cost in a first world country drug store. (That I can get a pack of Wilkies at the grocery or Dorcos at DG for $1 isn’t the point….) :)

I'm curious if anyone has updated figures outlining the overall market share of DE razors in the US and Canada compared to carts and electric shavers, etc in 2021.

Probably an unlikely outcome, but I think it's at least conceivable that traditional wetshaving may slowly gain traction in the market, similar to the way craft beer has over the past 25 years.
I suspect that it will. We just gotta advertise our hobby to any open ears.

Top Bottom