What's new

I don't understand Gillete's madness.

My local Long's Drugs/CVS has their house brand of DE razor and blades. They also have Wilkinson Sword Classic blades and Schick injector blades. They now even have a shaving brush. The local Walgreens has the KCG stuff. You never know what's next.

To me, the CVS DE razor bears a strong resemblance to the Baili BR179 TTO sold @Maggard's. The CVS version is $15.49: the Baili is $6.45, $5.45 if you like Rose Gold. So it's nice to see, but I won't be jumping for joy over it.

I personally would get one if I knew it was manufactured by Gillette, just to say I had a modern DE Gillette to go along with my super speed, tech, and old type BE. Alas, I suspect this was outsourced to another manufacturer, and thats Just not the same to me.

I personally would get one if I knew it was manufactured by Gillette, just to say I had a modern DE Gillette to go along with my super speed, tech, and old type BE. Alas, I suspect this was outsourced to another manufacturer, and thats Just not the same to me.
There are still proper P&G Gillette Techs from India and China (post #24) available (USD 2.50-3.00). Some say the Chinese one is the preferable version. The plastic handle looks crappy but works and you can change it any time.

I shaved one month with it without any problems so now it lives in my dopp bag.

How do you tell the Chinese and Indian versions apart from one another?
There are still proper P&G Gillette Techs from India and China (post #24) available (USD 2.50-3.00). Some say the Chinese one is the preferable version. The plastic handle looks crappy but works and you can change it any time.

I shaved one month with it without any problems so now it lives in my dopp bag.

Indian 7 o‘clock Sterling with a Black Ninja blade
A64AB433-6674-4670-B106-AA21BF283887.jpeg

Chinese Super Blue Tech
C82C29DF-58F8-4D7D-AE7C-D4F89CA07360.jpeg

If I remember correctly the Sterling is more aggressive with the less then stellar build quality. Let’s see what Ivan @ivan_101 has to say about both.

I quit buying new Gillette products when I found out that, as a male, I am toxic. I wouldn't want to offend anyone at P&G by using their products. I stick with those that are either of sentimental value. My grandfathers 1959 Fatboy for example or my dads old Techmatic, that I can get on the used market as NOS. Think 1960s vintage Gillette SunUp aftershave and vintage carts for the Techmatic. For DE blades I stick to Personna med preps these days.

I just googled the Gillette Guard. To me it seems no different to a Bic Metal disposable razor.

Jason

They're very different.

Here's a comparison.

Just a thought that crept into my mind. I was browsing the Gillette website just for the hell of it, and I have noticed they have re-introduced their own version of the DE razor (The King C Gillette device), plus they have REDUCED the number of blades in one of their Fusion cartridges (named the SkinGuard) which seems to have a super-big lubrication strip (don't laugh) in lieu of the extra blades.

I never liked lubrication strips on razors as they just seem to slime my face up which I end up washing off anyway. So are Gillette trying to reclaim the DE market?

Kind thoughts. Jason.

The introduction of the SkinGuard is an interesting one. First, that's not a lube strip, it's a comb. Think in terms of Razorock's SLOC /Yaqi DOC / PAA DOC.

At the time, the runaway success of the Gillette Guard in India surprised everyone. Harvard review & other marketing journals wrote paeans about Gillette's marketing prowess. There was a lot of speculation about it on this & other forums & it was expected to be introduced shortly in Europe & the US, probably at a much higher price. Gillette started sending Cease & Desist letters to those who imported the Guard for resale.
Instead, Gillette incorporated the upper comb concept from the Guard into their Fusion cartridge, removing three blades to do it. Effectively, it was a reversal of their hysteresis technology that was heavily advertised at the beginning of the launch of their multiblade razors so many years ago.

I think the point is being missed that Gillette marketing with these products is directed mainly towards the men with beards. The world-wide beard trend hurts their cartridge shaving products. The DE razors are being re-purposed as a beard edging tool, to be sold with an entire family of related products.

Gillette is annoyingly on trend, not trying to recapture the DE market.

1629969917425.png

1629969954221.png

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think the point is being missed that Gillette marketing with these products is directed mainly towards the men with beards. The world-wide beard trend hurts their cartridge shaving products. The DE razors are being re-purposed as a beard edging tool, to be sold with an entire family of related products.

View attachment 1317381
View attachment 1317382

This times 1000

I would argue that it's a bit of a chicken & egg problem, & that Gillette are largely responsible for the popularity of beards.

Modern multiblade cartridge razors tend to give users more razor burn & ingrowns than ever before.

In response, many people have stopped shaving & grown beards...

As more & more people grew beards, once it reached a tipping point, beards became mainstream.

Last edited:
Here are pictures. Sterling on the left. Super Blue on the right.
Those are more than 12 years old and have brass bottom plates. In the recent years both the Sterling and the Super Blue got aluminium bottom plates.

ster+sblue01.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the photos. The collar of the handle is aluminium on the Sterling, and you can notice it is not as shiny. Also a slight collar shape difference. Overall the head on the Sterlings is not as shiny as on the Super Blues - different plating. Both are nickel plated though. ZAMAK caps.

ster+sblue02.jpg

The Sterling, being a 7 O'Clock doesn't have the Gillette logo on the cap. Notice the safety guard corners. Square on the Super Blue, slightly rounded on the Sterling.

The shave is different. All Sterlings have a bit more of blade exposure. In the early years the Super Blues had more exposure, but sometime after 2012 they decreased it. Now the Super Blue has the geometry of a 70s Tech and I would highly recommend it to beginners. I wouldn't recommend the Sterling to beginners. If you bought a Sterling and got a good shave after shaving for years with many other medium or aggressive razors, that doesn't mean it is good for newbies. You just got the skills to shave with DE razors.

Last edited:

View attachment 1317381
View attachment 1317382
This!

View attachment 1317381
View attachment 1317382

As a man with a beard 😂 (shave my neck and head)
0deb843535740a280bdd19d3581a5a1c.jpg

I quit buying new Gillette products when I found out that, as a male, I am toxic. I wouldn't want to offend anyone at P&G by using their products. I stick with those that are either of sentimental value. My grandfathers 1959 Fatboy for example or my dads old Techmatic, that I can get on the used market as NOS. Think 1960s vintage Gillette SunUp aftershave and vintage carts for the Techmatic. For DE blades I stick to Personna med preps these days.
I don't think Gillette was saying that being male is inherently toxic, or that all men are toxic. I think they were saying that the old patriarchal society our grandparents and parents lived in is essentially gone now, and that the world doesn't really need any more ultra-macho, misogynistic, xenophobic bullies than it already has. I am not offended by that message because I generally agree with it.
I know a lot of people took it personally, but if you actually watched the ads they were just showing men being human and being kind. Not sure what, exactly, is wrong with that.

ATTENTION SHAVE CRIMINALS
I am Lieutenant Boot Stomper of the Gillette secret police. I've been surveiling this forum for shave criminals and insurgent terrorists. Those who on this forum that have admitted to using THE KING C GILLETTE RAZOR for purposes other than beard line ups are guilty of WRONG SHAVE. Your houses are surrounded and their is no where to hide. You shall be taken to a shave camp where you will learn to properly shave with our latest and greatest shave technology Fusion Cartridges.
swat.gif

I don't think Gillette was saying that being male is inherently toxic, or that all men are toxic... the world doesn't really need any more ultra-macho, misogynistic, xenophobic bullies than it already has...

I agree with Gillette on mysognism, but there seems to be a difference in definition of both macho and xenophobia. What I saw was not a condemnation of either macho or xenophobia, but a condemnation of physical violence without context. As a martial artist,
  • I don't pick fights
  • I don't, ever, show my back to my enemy. And if (s)he won't listen, you bet I wouldn't call any lawyer paid by Gillette to resolve the issue

Top Bottom