What's new

I don't like it, but I respect it.

The thread title is a joke that my friends always say to me. I may not appreciate the music of a certain band but I do respect them.

Well, I feel the same way about some tobaccos. Now, there are some blends that are just downright awful to me. But others just aren't for me. Taste like quality leaf, complex with a variety of tastes, but for some reason I just can't get into it. The respect for the blender is there nonetheless.

Exhibit A: MacBaren Latakia Flake

When I first tried this stuff I loved it. Slowly but surely I began to be unable to finish a bowl of it. I miss those fond smokes I had but this is a blend I will probably never buy again. But I do respect it and think that many will enjoy it.

Exhibit B: Dunhill My Mixture 965

A very complex blend that seems to be a favorite of many. Maybe it's the Cavendish, maybe it's the Latakia, maybe I just don't know. I remember smoking my way through this tin and was happy to be finished with it (I never waste tobacco :hand:) But I can see why some love this blend. Full bodied with various flavors but not a preferred leaf to put into my bowl.

I'm interested to see if anyone else respects a blend that just isn't for them. Also any cigars that don't do it for you but understand their following.

I know that feel. In fact, I could paint it with a broad brush on most non-aromatic non-English categories. Burleys, Virginias, etc...

Dunhill MM965 is great, but doesn't give me the characteristic English campfire smoke that most claim, it gives me something just a bit off from it that I also like. Unfortunately it also gives me sickness. I used to think it was nicotine level, but continued contemplation and data analysis have led me to think maybe it's something else that Dunhill puts in it.

I know that feel. In fact, I could paint it with a broad brush on most non-aromatic non-English categories. Burleys, Virginias, etc...

Dunhill MM965 is great, but doesn't give me the characteristic English campfire smoke that most claim, it gives me something just a bit off from it that I also like. Unfortunately it also gives me sickness. I used to think it was nicotine level, but continued contemplation and data analysis have led me to think maybe it's something else that Dunhill puts in it.
You and I have the same issue with MM965. I wanted to like it because so many others do, but it makes me ill.

You and I have the same issue with MM965. I wanted to like it because so many others do, but it makes me ill.

Do you have the same problem with anything else? There are a few others that give me the same. Dunhill EMP, though I haven't tried it in forever and need to revisit it. GL Pease Jacknife Plug and SPC Plum Pudding too.

Do you have the same problem with anything else? There are a few others that give me the same. Dunhill EMP, though I haven't tried it in forever and need to revisit it. GL Pease Jacknife Plug and SPC Plum Pudding too.
No, MM965 seems to be the only one that bothers me with that nic hit in the gut feeling. I like EMP, and have never had an issue with it. Might just be something in there other than nic in 965 that causes an allergic or some other sort of reaction.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I never waste tobacco :hand:
Me either. It's caused me some grief, too.

SG Black XX: It was just horrible. Hard to keep lit, and it tasted like a tire fire (I got that from another member here, but I can't remember who), and the nicotine kicked my butt. Every once in a while I would get a hint of something that tasted grilled, but it was so brief I couldn't pin it down. I have a lot of respect for people who enjoy it.

GLP Gaslight: I don't know all of the ingredients, but there's something in it I don't like. The flavor is also so strong that I can't handle very much of it. And the nicotine. And trying to keep it lit.

Anything by C&D: There's something in every C&D blend I've tried that doesn't sit right with me. I don't know what it is, but there's a common flavor, an undercurrent, that has been in every one of their blends that I've tried. It doesn't taste good, and it leaves an aftertaste. They also all burn pretty bad on the retrohale. The 2013 and 2014 Christmas Blends, Epiphany, and Yale Mixture, all the same.

All of those blender/blends have great reputations, and I'll certainly try other blends from them, but only because of their reputations.

I had a sample of MM965 and I wasn't impressed, but it was mailed to me in sub-zero weather, and seemed a bit dry when I got it, so I don't know that my sample was representative. It's on my list to try again.

It seems to me that a lot of my brothers of the leaf don't care for C&D as much as I do. I think it might be their burleys as they are more distinct than most other companies but are the attraction point for me.

At least you respect them :) Despite me having nothing to do with blending or production ;)

Dunhill Standard Mixture Mellow made me sick as a dog every time I tried to smoke it. I finally gave up and pifed it away. I at first thought it was the nicotine, but I am a big fan of EMP, Nightcap, Royal Yacht and MM 965. Must be something else in it that I don't tolerate.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
It seems to me that a lot of my brothers of the leaf don't care for C&D as much as I do. I think it might be their burleys as they are more distinct than most other companies but are the attraction point for me.

At least you respect them :) Despite me having nothing to do with blending or production ;)
I don't know what it is about C&D that disagrees with me. The 2013 Christmas blend is almost universally reviled, so I don't worry about that one much. But the 2014 blend had what should've been a good flavor, except for that other nasty element that I find in all of them. Sometimes that element is distinct from the real flavor, but overpowers it, making for a less enjoyable experience (2014, and Yale Mixture). Those blends I can still enjoy a bit, because if I concentrate, I can pick out the real flavor. In other blends, that element mixes with the real flavor, and it's impossible to distinguish what the real flavor is (2013, and Epiphany). These blends become more intolerable as time goes on. I just wish I could pin it down.

Top Bottom