What's new

I decided to make my own handle

I bought some antique brushes from an antique store last week and decided that making my own handle would be much cooler. This is what I made (with the help of a friend).

Notice that the brush handle has two stripes. The stripes are glued in between the main wood.

All I have to do now is finish it with more clear coat and add a knot. Recommendations for the knot?

Well done. I definitely don't have the skills to make a brush handle.

My favorite of the TGN knots is the 24 mm Extra Hair Finest followed by the 22 mm Super Silvertip.

How big of a knot can you fit in there?

Well done. I definitely don't have the skills to make a brush handle.

My favorite of the TGN knots is the 24 mm Extra Hair Finest followed by the 22 mm Super Silvertip.

How big of a knot can you fit in there?

I can fit a 22mm knot inside.

Do the knot diameters on TGN come slightly smaller than the size listed or are they the exact dimensions listed?

I can fit a 22mm knot inside.

Do the knot diameters on TGN come slightly smaller than the size listed or are they the exact dimensions listed?

The plug size is a little smaller than the knot size. I think this can vary, but it is about 1mm smaller. They explain this on the web site. To prep for my 22mm, I simply got the handle to the point where a nickel could fit down to the base of the hole (I believe Canadian and American Nickels are the same size). Best to do the final touch-ups once you can dry fit the knot in the handle.

I like TGN's knots (and I've used many, 18mm GradeA, 20mm Finest, Finest Extra, 24mm Finest Fan, 24mm Silvertip, etc.) ,

but a 22mm Whipped Dog Silvertip, I think is softer and denser. And, cheaper.

Top Bottom