What's new

I couldn't help myself (newbie RAD)

So before I had admitted my newfound RAD and posted about it, from which I was given some wonderful insight, a good bit of wise counsel, a modicum of restraint, and heaping helpings of urging to throw caution to the wind... I had accidentally clicked buy now on an eBay auction since I found out that S 1 matches January 1972 :blush:

So someone on eBay, saw me coming, and managed to get me to part with $19 for a black handled TTO S2...it arrived today. I had fun cleaning it up with autosol and mentholated spirits...dont have the magic bubbles that ya'll have over there....silly me, forgot to take a before pic, suffice to say, I have it much shinier, without any soap build up.

Now I need to practice restraint and not look at eBay any more until I have actually learned something about these vintage razors, and I think I'd really like to explore the ones from the UK.
I guess I need to resist the urge to put a blade in this birth year razor until I am a bit more comfortable with my 34C, so I can actually make some reasonable comparisons :eek2:

BUT..it's fun to now own two DE's, and one of them being the same age as me.

IMG_9877.JPG IMG_9876.JPG
IMG_9875.JPG
I realise it's nothing startling, but it was fun to clean it up and now have a collection of two.

Last edited:
Woohoo! Cleaned up really well. Fine looking razor.

There's no shame in going after 'birth year' razors - I recently did the same when I picked up a Fatboy and a Flare Tip. My date codes are a little earlier than yours (F1) so its more difficult to get examples that clean up as well as the one you have.

The real challenge you have now is to resist bidding for everything that catches your eye! I know from my own experience how tough it is not to scratch that itch!

Here's something else to tempt you.

Vintage Safety Razors reworked

Just another option for rejuventating vintage razors (and spending all your money). The Flare Tip is one of the F1s I acquired, and the Tech is an older model from the 1940s.

I posted this on one of the threads in 'Great Southern Land' for Aussies and Kiwis to exchange opinions, post pics, etc with near neighbours. Come on over, if you haven't already.

Great Southern Land (Australia/NZ)

That’s a great looking Black Handled SuperSpeed! I have a Flare Tip, which I believe to be the same head, but with a chrome handle. It’s a great shaver for me!

Or, rather, it WAS a great shaver for me. I gave it to my Stepfather-in-Law, and now HE’S enjoying it. :a2:

Congrats.

Here's something else to tempt you.

Vintage Safety Razors reworked

Just another option for rejuventating vintage razors (and spending all your money). The Flare Tip is one of the F1s I acquired, and the Tech is an older model from the 1940s.

I posted this on one of the threads in 'Great Southern Land' for Aussies and Kiwis to exchange opinions, post pics, etc with near neighbours. Come on over, if you haven't already.

They sure look sharp! Be good to get a bit of movement in the ANZAC threads :thumbsup:

That’s a great looking Black Handled SuperSpeed! I have a Flare Tip, which I believe to be the same head, but with a chrome handle. It’s a great shaver for me!

Or, rather, it WAS a great shaver for me. I gave it to my Stepfather-in-Law, and now HE’S enjoying it. :a2:

Congrats.

I suspect my son will soon get his hands on either of my two DE's before long. Mean's I will need a new back up right?! :whistling:

Congratulations! Welcome to the world of incurable acquisitioners.
The birthday razor doesn’t have to count - cool that you nabbed it!
Enjoy. :a14:

I too acquired a small case of RAD.
1-merkur 33c (selling this week as I tried it again today with a heavier handle and it didn't shave close enough atg in the sensitive part of my neck)
2-merkur 37c - AWESOME for me
3-merkur progress long handle (resold, I didn't care for the size, I MAY get a short handle version later)
4-merkur 15c (verdict is still out, thus far I find it too mild)
5-muhle r41 AWESOME for me

Getting a lot of razors helps to find what works, no different than soap and blade sampling. I've found that I don't care much for closed comb razors but slants and open combs seem to do great.

I too acquired a small case of RAD.
1-merkur 33c (selling this week as I tried it again today with a heavier handle and it didn't shave close enough atg in the sensitive part of my neck)
2-merkur 37c - AWESOME for me
3-merkur progress long handle (resold, I didn't care for the size, I MAY get a short handle version later)
4-merkur 15c (verdict is still out, thus far I find it too mild)
5-muhle r41 AWESOME for me

Getting a lot of razors helps to find what works, no different than soap and blade sampling. I've found that I don't care much for closed comb razors but slants and open combs seem to do great.

mmmmmmm......I sense a theme

Always good to hear what does and especially what doesn't work, and then you offload that razor too. I am keen to try my sample pack of razors with each acquisition as they come along. I hear you on the sensitive neck thing too. Haven't got a truly smooth shave on my neck yet.

Your black handle superspeed looks terrific, great clean-up job! :thumbup1:
I have a '73 model and it is a very nice shaver.

Thanks to all who commented and congratulated.

I capitulated this morning and tried the S1 superspeed. I kept everything else identical to my Merkur shaves. It seemed pretty similar to be honest.
If I behave myself, and follow advice, I should probably stick to the Merkur for a little while longer, and mess around with the different blades (but I just couldn't resist). I think both my razors are mild, so the next acquisition might need to be something a little more aggressive. All in good time, although eBay had some big temptations last night.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Now I need to practice restraint and not look at eBay any more until I have actually learned something about these vintage razors, and I think I'd really like to explore the ones from the UK.

The British Gillettes are some of the finest razors ever made in my opinion. I believe few would argue that.

These arent mine, but I sure wish they were lol.

bulldogs.jpg

Happy hunting. :)

BOSC.2.BuyThemAll.Large..jpg

Top Bottom