What's new

I can't believe it really worked!!!

Okay all. Don't laugh until you try it.

I've read about melting and mixing all of these different glycerine soaps, etc. So for giggles I picked up a bar of store brand Glycerine Facial Soap at the Dollar General. Took it home, cut it in half and melted it into a small bowl used for dip. The next day I wet a boar's hair brush with hot water and it actually latered. The lather spread pretty well, lasted for the entire shave and worked amazingly. I got a smooth comfortable shave. The soap that I paid all of $.99 for had a faint citrusy scent, sort of like grapefruit. I now know what I can do if I'm ever in a pinch.

-80s

I don't blame you for trying this. I actually get tempted to try cool things like this. I would actually encourage you to do more experimenting. As long as you don't hurt yourself! ;-)

I've often thought that, unless clay or some other additive is present, glycerine soap is glycerine soap is glycerine soap (i.e. Conk, VDH Glycerine).

Hey thats not a half bad idea. As a poor college student im definitely going to give this a try! I didnt even know they sold facial glycerin soap at dollar stores. Fancy that.

Isn't Williams like, $1? And Van Der Hagen $2? And Doesn't VDH give a fantastic shave? Why, yes!

I woud buy these if any store in my area sold them. Wal-Mart used to sell Williams, but they stopped about 3 months ago.

I've never even SEEN Van Der Hagen

I woud buy these if any store in my area sold them. Wal-Mart used to sell Williams, but they stopped about 3 months ago.

I've never even SEEN Van Der Hagen

VDH is the ONLY soap you can buy at our local Walmart and grocery stores. It's all right stuff for the price and to mix in a shave or two occasionally between the other brands.

Way to go! I'm all for experimenting. I tried shaving with some Dr. Bronner and it actually worked pretty well. Not as good as a premium soap, but not bad. The areas that were lacking were lather (altough it was slick) and scent (the bar I used was a mint).

Shaving soap is just soap that is tweaked a bit. I have a good friend who has always shaved in the shower using whatever bar soap he had on hand (I think Dial mostly). No brush, he just smears the bar on his wet face. When I asked him why he said "soap is soap." Now, after using a lot of premium shaving soaps I can tell him that he is wrong, but with that said, in a pinch any soap is better than shaving with just H20!

Interesting. I might be in that situation in about, oh, 10-15 years? :whistling:

In truth I'm pretty well stocked myself. But I like to experiment from time to time. Besides when I say 'in a pinch" you never know. Perhaps my bathroom burns down or I'm out of town with out a shaving kit. Who knows?

Later all.

-80s

In truth I'm pretty well stocked myself. But I like to experiment from time to time.

Nothing wrong w/a little mad scientist fun from time to time. Was just teasing. :tongue_sm

Besides when I say 'in a pinch" you never know. Perhaps my bathroom burns down or I'm out of town with out a shaving kit. Who knows?

God forbid there's ever a fire in your house, I hope your bathroom's the ONLY thing that burns down! :eek: As to being out of town w/o a shaving kit, well ... :scared: let's hope that never happens. :biggrin:

I just had an idea for good Williams lather.
Since i have to grate Williams up and form it into one of my shaving bowls, i'm going to buy a bar of glycerin facial soap and grate a little bit of that and add it to the Williams mixture.

More glycerin cant hurt anything.

I got bored and had an almost used up puck of williams and an almost used up puck of VDH. Melted 'em down, mixed 'em up and poured 'em into a VDH bowl (yeah I got a VDH gift set, classy I know.) It is my new favorite soap!

Seriously I haven't touched my AOS sandalwood since.

i love the scent of williams but the lather dried out my face a bit. so i melted down some VDH glycerine and put the williams into that and it worked super awesome.

i am going to do this again with the VDH glycerine and add some aqua velva and see how it turns out.

Top Bottom