What's new

I am paying for learning straight razor in blood and flesh.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thanks Clay

Going slow fact I'm going to only use a straight over the weekend on a sat morning. Every sat till it becomes easier followed by sun. I won't shave w a straight during a week day at least until I get the hang of it lol
You will come along much faster if you do a little bit every day. It will become natural to you quicker and muscle memory will build faster.

I’ve shaved my strop. I decided to go real slow and just listen and feel. Then I just started to subconsciously go faster. Dropping my laps from 60 to 30 on the leather makes it so much more palatable. I’ve noticed no difference in performance. Now I’m going to drop it to 20 next week. Some manufacturers say 6 is enough, I guess.

Now the linen is a different story for me. I guess I like the sound on linen. After 25 laps, I want to just keep going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O find I only need a few laps on strop. When I receive a new razor shave ready, it can be more uneven and therefor take more laps. But since I use a paddle strop the feedback is very informative, and after some laps I start feeling very smooth feedback from the blade and that’s it

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

O find I only need a few laps on strop. When I receive a new razor shave ready, it can be more uneven and therefor take more laps. But since I use a paddle strop the feedback is very informative, and after some laps I start feeling very smooth feedback from the blade and that’s it

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

That’s what I’m thinking, but am reluctant to cut back on the laps all at once. Realistically, doing a manageable number would make shaving time on par with DE.

That’s what I’m thinking, but am reluctant to cut back on the laps all at once. Realistically, doing a manageable number would make shaving time on par with DE.

I guess I've cut back to approximately a dozen on linen and the same on horsehide and can tell no difference.

I joined in on Micromatic Monday this morning and used a GEM G Bar with twice used PTFE blade. I did three passes WTG, diagonal ATG and diagonal WTG. Its the best shave I've had for some time and don't suspect a SR will ever be able to do the same although I have gotten close a few times. However, getting the same shave with a SR is not my primary interest. I've enjoyed learning about honing with films and stones a bit. It's fun and relaxing.

There is a video of a Route 66 barber. Check it out if you can find it. Notice how many laps he does.

I guess I've cut back to approximately a dozen on linen and the same on horsehide and can tell no difference.

I joined in on Micromatic Monday this morning and used a GEM G Bar with twice used PTFE blade. I did three passes WTG, diagonal ATG and diagonal WTG. Its the best shave I've had for some time and don't suspect a SR will ever be able to do the same although I have gotten close a few times. However, getting the same shave with a SR is not my primary interest. I've enjoyed learning about honing with films and stones a bit. It's fun and relaxing.

There is a video of a Route 66 barber. Check it out if you can find it. Notice how many laps he does.

I’ll check it out. It’s not about the perfect shave for me either. It’s about enjoying my morning ritual. Although, I am BBS on the checks and nearly so everywhere else and it’s getting better every shave.

My passes are convoluted, derived from much time feeling my face afterwards. At this time, I have only completed 33, triple pass shaves.

I’ll check it out. It’s not about the perfect shave for me either. It’s about enjoying my morning ritual. Although, I am BBS on the checks and nearly so everywhere else and it’s getting better every shave.

My passes are convoluted, derived from much time feeling my face afterwards. At this time, I have only completed 33, triple pass shaves.

It's hard to beat the old GEM razors once you learn how to use them. The angle is more like a SR. The PTFE blades are sharp and comfortable. I credit them with preparing me to use the Feather SS.

It's hard to beat the old GEM razors once you learn how to use them. The angle is more like a SR. The PTFE blades are sharp and comfortable. I credit them with preparing me to use the Feather SS.

I bought a GEM at a flea market this past summer, but have not used it yet. It looks so nice and antique.

Top Bottom