What's new

I am my razor...The Valet VC1...

Looks like the only difference between VB1 and VC1 is basically weight from the added roller on the VB1. That's about it!
I've heard the geometry is slightly different and the VC1 is milder. Can't confirm until I get a VC1.

I've heard the geometry is slightly different and the VC1 is milder. Can't confirm until I get a VC1.

From the gears forward to the blade edge, both the VB1 and VC1 are the same. The back of the VB1 has that roller for the strop.

I'll try to take some close ups today.

@rudyt

The handle is attached to the VB1 head like a DE razor, 90 degrees. The VC1 is angled like the GEM razors. I had to prop up the VB1 to line up the heads.

IMAG0299_1.jpg
IMAG0310_1.jpg
IMAG0303_1.jpg
IMAG0300_1.jpg

Hard to tell from that angle. I have 2 VB1's and several VC1's. The blade gap on the VB1's is literally about twice that of the VC1's. Also note that the comb on the VC1 extends ahead of the blade edge more than on the VB1.

As a result of this, I find the VC1 to be in the middle of the agressiveness scale, while the VB1 is one of the most aggressive razors in my collection.

You didn't discuss finish (or I may have overlooked it). My VC1's have a nickel plating that is of good serviceable quality but nothing special; the VB1's have heavy silver plating that responds beautifully to the aluminum foil/baking soda treatment and look awesome.

--Bob

Hard to tell from that angle. I have 2 VB1's and several VC1's. The blade gap on the VB1's is literally about twice that of the VC1's. Also note that the comb on the VC1 extends ahead of the blade edge more than on the VB1.

As a result of this, I find the VC1 to be in the middle of the agressiveness scale, while the VB1 is one of the most aggressive razors in my collection.

You didn't discuss finish (or I may have overlooked it). My VC1's have a nickel plating that is of good serviceable quality but nothing special; the VB1's have heavy silver plating that responds beautifully to the aluminum foil/baking soda treatment and look awesome.

--Bob

I was merely pointing out shave quality.

IMAG0316_1.jpg
IMAG0313_1.jpg

Rabidus... You are a terrible enabler!

I "won" a Valet Auto Strop razor today. $17.00. CHEAP!

I can't wait to give 'er a go. I ships with some GEM PTFE blades, so I hope they can be used in this razor.

I can't wait to give 'er a go. I ships with some GEM PTFE blades, so I hope they can be used in this razor.

Seems like I'm a great enabler! :lol:

The blade works great once you despine it... With a pair of pliers, grab the corner edge, as little as possible, so as to not grab the blade also, and then flex the blade 2 or 3 times and the blade will pop right out of the spine. Notice the crimp mark on the right corner of the spine in the picture. Easy peesy! When you flex the blade, you are basically trying to bend the spine away from the blade, it's just pressed on the blade, doesn't take much flexing.

IMAG0254_1.jpg

@rabidus is The Man when it comes to despining GEM blades for the AutoStrop. But you didn't say what kind of Valet you bought. Some of the later models have those pesky blade-retention pins that prevent the use of despined GEM blades.

But you didn't say what kind of Valet you bought. Some of the later models have those pesky blade-retention pins that prevent the use of despined GEM blades.

Thanks Charles! That's a good question, I assumed it was a VC1 since this thread was used.

I was merely pointing out shave quality.

View attachment 802620 View attachment 802622

I only have the VC1, but based on these pix, I don't see a meaningful difference between the two, on blade gap, exposure, or distance to the end of the base plate. What am I missing? By the way, I'm an aggressive razor guy, and the VC1 works for me. It's the only Valet I own. And I'm always on the hunt to find a better razor within a given model/form factor.

I only have the VC1, but based on these pix, I don't see a meaningful difference between the two, on blade gap, exposure, or distance to the end of the base plate. What am I missing? By the way, I'm an aggressive razor guy, and the VC1 works for me. It's the only Valet I own. And I'm always on the hunt to find a better razor within a given model/form factor.

The VB1 is heavier than the VC1. For some, more weight means more aggressive.

MY GEM razors from the 1914 down to the G bar all have a .021" blade gap. I have several VC1's, and a VB1, as well as later Valet's and of the ones I tested, they all have a .021" blade gap except for one VC1, which is less. I don't know if it's by design or tolerance issues.

That's interesting. I have 3 VB1's and they all have a .021" blade gap. The VC1 I use most often has a blade gap of .014" and is smoother and milder than the VB1's.

However, I have another VC1 which is identical in every respect down to the nickel plated finish (it was even part of the same lot) except that it has a gap of .021." Both razors are in very good condition and I can see no evidence that either has ever been dropped or otherwise damaged.

I too have no idea why this would be.

--Bob

This razor, I believe it is a VC1, does fine for my N-S pass. It gets harsh on my ATG pass. I went ahead and put it down early during my ATG pass, and swapped for my PAA DOC whose head was 1/4 turn from fully tightened. BBS.

Still not giving up.

This razor, I believe it is a VC1, does fine for my N-S pass. It gets harsh on my ATG pass. I went ahead and put it down early during my ATG pass, and swapped for my PAA DOC whose head was 1/4 turn from fully tightened. BBS.

Still not giving up.

I use the Valet razors the same as the GEM razors! I may adjust the angle slightly but not much.

Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf SE Razor_intructions2_1.jpg
Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf SE Razor_intructions2_1_1.jpg

I'll give that a shot Rabidus. I get along with the GEMs so well, because the angle is built into the cap. The Valet has no cap, so I had a tendency to go too steep, even though I prefer shallow angle shaving.

Top Bottom