What's new

I accidentally destroyed my HBS Lavender....

but it turned into an interesting "science experiment" of sorts....

Ok, so the water at my new apt. gets HOT (probably hot enough to hurt you if you left your hand under it for long enough). This is great for soaking the brush, but I found out the hard way that it is a bit too hot for glycerin-based soaps today.

Here's what I normally do: fill my large soup mug with enough water to cover the bristles, and then fill the sink around the mug about half way up, so that blistering hot water is heating the mug from both the inside and outside. With soaps, I not only splash some of this water on top of the soap inside my ramekins, but I also set the ramekin in the water, so it is heated from the outside as well. This has helped me produce FANTASTIC lathers with triple-milled soaps.

So, this morning, I did the same thing with my HBS, and didn't stop to consider that this might melt the soap. When I went to dump the water off the top of the soap so I could load my brush, practically 90% of the melted soap went with it........and much to my dismay, I was left with a gel-like, gooey substance that only vaguely resembled the formerly wonderful soap. At this point, I almost reached for a cream. But, something told me to give it a try, so I dipped my bristles in the soupy, gooey substance, and proceeded to lather in my mug.

What I got was one of the thickest, richest lathers that I've ever gotten from a glycerin-based soap. Picture something that lathers thickly (like Proraso that hasn't been fed quite enough water) and increase that significantly...... The really incredible part that, despite the thickness, it was still slick and lubricating, instead of skipping, like many overly-thick lathers. It almost had the true consistency of Cool-whip when very cold (this stuff was THICK).

I certainly don't suggest that you try this (as the cost is a perfectly wonderful shaving soap), but it was interesting nonetheless.

If the water is that hot, it might not be a good idea to mix in some cold water when soaking your brush. I may be wrong, but I don't think its good for the bristles, badger or boar.

I guess I never thought that it could hurt my brush, as it's not boiling or anything.......I'll start mixing in a bit of cold water.

I may be exaggerating a bit......but the water was pretty darn hot, and I did leave the entire soap tub immersed in water during my shower........then again, I guess it is pretty hot if it melted the soap.

I suppose I figured the heat of the water wouldn't be that big of a deal, as I've read that some of you guys use water boilers, etc. to heat water that you use to soak your brush (though I'm sure you don't pour it on there when it's still boiling). My water is nowhere near boiling, just too hot to leave your hand under it for more than a second or two, and apparently hot enough to melt glycerin soaps if you leave the tub and soap immersed (I guess I wasn't clear when I said "splashed some water on top of the soap" earlier........it was practically immersed during my entire shower).

Last edited:
My water is nowhere near boiling, just too hot to leave your hand under it for more than a second or two, and apparently hot enough to melt glycerin soaps if you leave the tub and soap immersed

My water's that hot, too. That's why I only put a teaspoon or so on top of the soap while I'm showering. The water's cold by the time I'm done showering but it's still wet. :tongue_sm And my brush warms the soap up.

I guess I never thought that it could hurt my brush, as it's not boiling or anything.......I'll start mixing in a bit of cold water.

I may be exaggerating a bit......but the water was pretty darn hot, and I did leave the entire soap tub immersed in water during my shower........then again, I guess it is pretty hot if it melted the soap.

I suppose I figured the heat of the water wouldn't be that big of a deal, as I've read that some of you guys use water boilers, etc. to heat water that you use to soak your brush (though I'm sure you don't pour it on there when it's still boiling). My water is nowhere near boiling, just too hot to leave your hand under it for more than a second or two, and apparently hot enough to melt glycerin soaps if you leave the tub and soap immersed (I guess I wasn't clear when I said "splashed some water on top of the soap" earlier........it was practically immersed during my entire shower).
To my knowledge, I haven't seen anyone say that they use boiling or super heated water to soak their brush. I've seen a number of folks who do this for the water they put into their scuttles, but I thought the general consensus for brush soaking water was hot, but not too hot.

You might want to turn down your hot water heater if it is that hot.

In addition to it being a tad dangerous, you are wasting energy/money keeping it constantly heated to that temp

You might want to turn down your hot water heater if it is that hot.

In addition to it being a tad dangerous, you are wasting energy/money keeping it constantly heated to that temp
If it's an apt you may have to call the office to have the maintenance guy do it. FWIW you can measure the temp of the hot water by turning it on full hot, putting a thermometer in a cup, and letting the water run into the cup for a couple minutes. I personally like to set mine between 120*F and 122*F. I find that much more than that and I never want to turn on the water full hot because I'll hurt myself.

I personally like to set mine between 120*F and 122*F. I find that much more than that and I never want to turn on the water full hot because I'll hurt myself.

Indeed 54°C is enough to cause scalds on the skin - that's 129°F for antiquarians out there

I think the water coming out of the boiler at home is close to 90C... :eek: I'm off to check...

ADDED: I just checked the temps with my calibrated thermometer I use for developing photographic films, 47 C in my shave den (which has over 20 meters of pipe between it and the boiler), 50 C at the tap nearest the boiler. This was with the boiler turned on, dunno if it was heating at the time. I'm wondering if the taps are constructed to add a bit of cold water just to makes sure you're not an idiot... We don't have any taps with a manual blender... :mad:

Top Bottom