What's new

Hypermiling Blades

The idea of taking a blade beyond 10-12 shaves gives me the cold sweats.

For me, it’s not that they are tugging but that I simply no longer receive close, lasting shaves. It’s 5 OC shadow at noon. A blade under 6 shaves, all day closeness. I have started to notice a smoothing period at 10-11 shaves, but haven’t gone further for the problem referenced above.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
hyper as a prefix means over
hypo as a prefix means under

Hypermilers squeeze every last shave out of a blade.
Hypomilers toss them after the first shave.

A. They have 10 or less hairs

B. Prevarication.
When I first started shaving, at the age of 15 or so, my facial hair was basically peach fuzz, and I think that if I had that facial hair today then I could stick to one blade for the entirety of my life. So facial hair thickness is key to this imho.

When I first started shaving, at the age of 15 or so, my facial hair was basically peach fuzz, and I think that if I had that facial hair today then I could stick to one blade for the entirety of my life. So facial hair thickness is key to this imho.

Yes, extreme facial hair may be a key, but not in most cases. A person with an average beard can get high numbers of shaves on a blade with proper technique.

I can get a high number of smooth and comfortable shaves on a blade but after a certain amount, early in the day my face feels rough and looks stubbly.

If the Excalibur guys explain what a 'young blade' is and how blade efficiency changes with use, I think things will become clearer for the baffled curious on this thread.

If the Excalibur guys explain what a 'young blade' is and how blade efficiency changes with use, I think things will become clearer for the baffled curious on this thread.

I don't 'Excalibur' per se, but I often get 10-15 shaves on most blades - often changing only because I am bored. I do notice upon the change that my shave becomes slightly 'easier' with a newer blade ( mostly a reduction in buffing ), but not particularly any more comfortable. That may be the efficiency you mention.

Any cost savings on blades I get from that are probably offset by the time and material I use on prep. I often wash my face in the shower and spend a little extra time there letting my facial stubble hydrate. I have no idea what my hot water costs for an extra 1-2 minutes in the shower every morning, but I'm guessing it's probably more than the savings in blade costs.

I don't 'Excalibur' per se, but I often get 10-15 shaves on most blades - often changing only because I am bored. I do notice upon the change that my shave becomes slightly 'easier' with a newer blade ( mostly a reduction in buffing ), but not particularly any more comfortable. That may be the efficiency you mention.

Any cost savings on blades I get from that are probably offset by the time and material I use on prep. I often wash my face in the shower and spend a little extra time there letting my facial stubble hydrate. I have no idea what my hot water costs for an extra 1-2 minutes in the shower every morning, but I'm guessing it's probably more than the savings in blade costs.

I think the 'young blade' effect is more drastic to those pushing 100+ shaves per blade.

Yes, extreme facial hair may be a key, but not in most cases. A person with an average beard can get high numbers of shaves on a blade with proper technique.
Well, I mean, personally I find it hard to buy. Basically one is bound by some laws of physics regarding wear and tear.

I've used DE blades for upwards of 20 shaves before, but there are a few problems that arise when I do that. Like @johnwick mentioned, I end up with a shave that's not as close and doesn't last me nearly as long. I also end up adding a bit of pressure during the shave to try to get close in my trouble areas, and that makes irritation or bleeding in those areas much more likely. And the thing that really kills it for me, is that I end up with shave bumps and ingrown hairs. The reason I do DE shaving at all is to get a nice, close, comfortable shave with no bumps or ingrowns. So, I find that for me it's not really worth stretching out blade life. I just change them out when I notice the performance suffer a bit. That's usually after three to six shaves, or so, depending on the blade. A couple of pennies per shave is worth it to me so I can have a blade that performs the way I expect on my face.

What surprised me was the relationship of the razor and blade. For example, with most razors I can get only two good shaves with a Feather. After two shaves, the quality of the shave drops off. However, put that blade in a Feather AS-D2 razor and I get at least seven good shaves. With a Timeless SB .68 I can get 10 excellent shaves with a Personna Lab. With most other razors the number is usually five to seven. Any blade in my Karve with a B base gives me substantially more shaves than with a C plate.

hyper as a prefix means over
hypo as a prefix means under

Hypermilers squeeze every last shave out of a blade.
Hypomilers toss them after the first shave.

It was your inappropriate usage of an apostrophe denoting genitive in the guise of plural that threw me.

What's a "young blade?" You are the only one who has used the term on B&B according to a search.

Define "blade efficiency." There is no industry standard. How is this the same or different than "shaver efficiency." Which is more important according to many Excalibur guys.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
A young blade is pretty much the same as a young gun. They are both dangerously impetuous.

And for the record, by extending my blade life I have been able to send my son to kollege.

Top Bottom