What's new

Hypermiling Blades

*@Bogeyman while everyone googles prevarication*

proxy.php

Also

* I never handle the edges, only the end tabs
* it's not about saving money, mostly. There are some relatively expensive blades out there, and if I can use it 30 times before I throw it away, the cost definitely becomes a non-issue.
* it's more about not throwing something away when it is still giving you good service. Now that I've hit the century mark, the next time I use a Nacet, I will probably just go to 40-60 uses, and I'll have some great shaves.
* An exception is, like my 205 use Nacet, is when you feel like a challenge, and just have an insane curiosity to find out how long one will go.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

There are guys on here that get over 100...regularly....I did not understand how they do it.
Fixed it for you:
There are guys on here that say they get over 100...regularly....I did not understand how they do it.

I don't understand that either, how anyone with "normal" stubble can use a blade more than 10, 20 times and feels the same as the second shave on the same blade. I can feel degradation after 6 shaves, and so, I replace the blade every 4 to 5 shaves. I can go 10 shaves with a good outcome (no irritation or weepers) but the blade is tugging and is not pleasant.

I have said this numerous times...at .10-.15 (and only pennies if you can go a week) per blade why go thru all the trouble of stretching a blade out beyond its usefulness. There is no shortage of D/E blades available.

I have said this numerous times...at .10-.15 (and only pennies if you can go a week) per blade why go thru all the trouble of stretching a blade out beyond its usefulness. There is no shortage of D/E blades available.
You're assuming there is "trouble" and there's not, at least in many cases. So that's why.

Why throw away a blade that's still giving you good shaves?

DE blades are so inexpensive they are practically free in the context of a shaving supply budget, even more so for most people participating on this forum with multiple soaps, razors, brushes, etc. So using a blade many times is not about saving pennies. IMO it is much more about 1) a mindset of waste not, want not. And especially about 2) Challenging the shaver to improve their technique and explore the limits of what is possible.

DE blades are so inexpensive they are practically free in the context of a shaving supply budget, even more so for most people participating on this forum with multiple soaps, razors, brushes, etc. So using a blade many times is not about saving pennies. IMO it is much more about 1) a mindset of waste not, want not. And especially about 2) Challenging the shaver to improve their technique and explore the limits of what is possible.
Well said. Especially regarding your point about good technique. I'm glad you said that.

Thought I would step in as the OP for a second and say let’s not let this thread devolve into if blades should be hypermiled or not. That is a personal decision for every shaver to think about. It has also been discussed else where.

Let’s keep the topic here about:
if you have hypermiled a blade and if you have some tips.

Thank you.

My blades started lasting longer when I started riding the top cap more. I maintain good technique right from the first shave.

Unlike GT, my blades started lasting less when I started riding the top cap but shaving results improved. I was getting better longevity at steep angle (handle parallel to the face, see SASA).

Unlike GT, my blades started lasting less when I started riding the top cap but shaving results improved. I was getting better longevity at steep angle (handle parallel to the face, see SASA).
Now, this is more what I felt was happening. I get better shaves as far as closeness with a shallow angle (it seems), but I get more comfortable shaves with a steep angle (it seems), but I have no idea about longevity (hence this thread). I am going to have to do another run when I am done with this with another Platinum to see if a steep angle also works. Thanks for the input.

My blades started lasting longer when I started riding the top cap more. I maintain good technique right from the first shave.
This is usually what I hear. This is why I want to try it for a bit a see what happens. Then I guess as always I have to decide for myself. Just wanted to get some ideas on the subject of longevity of blades. The technique lessons and thoughts are the best for me though right now. Thanks for the input.

Thank you everyone for your input on this idea, I am trying right now to see what happens with a shallow angle, but once I am done with this I will go back to the Tech Clone Wars thread for about a week or two, then it will be time to try the whole process again with a steep angle. I am just a curious person by nature and like to test things. Me making YouTube videos has also fueled this curiosity recently.

So far with the Platinum I am at 9 shaves and today was the first day I wasn't supper thrilled with the comfort level, shave closeness was great, but the after-shave burned a little more than normal if felt like. I am going to dial up the Fat Boy tomorrow to see if that helps. Any more insight on your experiences is always helpful. Thank you!

@TFAshaver ,

The most important factor for me was knowing other people got more shaves from a blade. I alternated Astra SPs and Gillette Wilkinson swords and kept going a little past what the previous blades did. I couldn't explain the exact technique differences.

@TFAshaver ,

The most important factor for me was knowing other people got more shaves from a blade. I alternated Astra SPs and Gillette Wilkinson swords and kept going a little past what the previous blades did. I couldn't explain the exact technique differences.
No worries about the explanation of the differences in technique. It makes sense more to me the more I shave and the more I do research and then try things. Overall, I agree it was just a nice thought that maybe I wasn't really seeing where the blade gave out, but might be messing up my technique or got sloppy and was unfairly tossing some blades.

Mind you I know I don't like Derby for example. That wasn't my technique. I also didn't like that my Voshkod rusted really quick. So I went with more Gillette, but might try those blades again before writing them off for me.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I swap once a week for DE and once every two weeks for SE generally. As soon as I feel tugging, it's time for a new blade. They are cheap and they are still making them.

I am more surprised by the guys who cannot get more than a 1-2 shaves out of a blade than I am by those who can shave every day of the month with a single blade.

You need to get a razor that uses the Feather FHS-10 Then you won't be surprised at only two shaves from a blade.

I think there are certain blade and razor combos that contribute to blade life. Rigidity of clamping, angle of curvature, angle of shaving all play a role with respect to a DE blade. I've had the same blade be tuggy in one razor and not in another. It's got to be down to the curve, angle and rigidity I think.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I swap once a week for DE and once every two weeks for SE generally. As soon as I feel tugging, it's time for a new blade. They are cheap and they are still making them.

You need to get a razor that uses the Feather FHS-10 Then you won't be surprised at only two shaves from a blade.

I think there are certain blade and razor combos that contribute to blade life. Rigidity of clamping, angle of curvature, angle of shaving all play a role with respect to a DE blade. I've had the same blade be tuggy in one razor and not in another. It's got to be down to the curve, angle and rigidity I think.
Prep and technique trumps everything, and you are right: rigidity probably trumps those two, lol.

Seriously, my slant really torques the blade. IF I ever try a Derby again I may have to eat my hat if it gives a good shave.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Prep and technique trumps everything, and you are right: rigidity probably trumps those two, lol.

Seriously, my slant really torques the blade. IF I ever try a Derby again I may have to eat my hat if it gives a good shave.
Prep makes a big difference for sure. If I shave before or after a shower it's a huge difference, because I don't have the patience to do a proper whisker softening prep, I let the shower naturally do that as a byproduct of the shower. I wonder if I'd get half the blade life I do if I shaved before a shower.

I've had good luck with Derby blades, I know some don't. I'm trying some Personna med preps and Sharks now. Going to need to buy a few to get through the upcoming Leap Year Sabbatical.

The blade I hated that most love, is the Bic Chromium. The only way I like it is broken in half in my Focus Dynamic 48, there it's a nice smooth blade. In a DE, it feels like a game of tug of war.

The Focus razor has tiny blade exposure, clamps it tighter than tight and forces the angle to be straight into the blade. That is probably the reason the five or so brands of blades I've used in the focus, Bic, Feather, Derby, Shark, Merkur, Lord have felt identical on the shave. That razor gives me the freedom to try any blade. Even if it sucks in DE it will work fine in the Focus - at least so far.

O dear Jesus, madness, it's a bloody razor blade, no need to **** about corking, stropping or anything else.
Take it out of its wrapper, ignore the wax, put in the razor, use until shave is not great, remove and dispose of.

I'll argue with you on one point there. I cork and/or strop a few blades, not for longevity reasons, but because it makes the first shave a little more pleasant. Some blades benefit from that practice.

Top Bottom