What's new

Hyaluronic Acid Is Magic For My Post Shave Skin | It's A Game Changer

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
You could add a few drops to Clinique Moisturizer if it does not have it already, you should notice some difference IMO. I was applying HA directly and really did not notice much difference myself unti I put 2 drops in my Nivea balm for a few weeks.

I applied it directly for the first couple of days and switched to adding it to the Clinique. I do find it easier to use in the moisturizer.

I went through this thread and after that through the bathroom drawers. My wife worked as buyer for a retail chain for years and one of her field was health and beauty so drawers were stocked to brim with various product samples. I found a L'oreal product with HA so I'll give it a go and I ordered a neutrogena thing as well. I'm curious and to be honest I'm usually in doubt with all the magic potions the manufacturers are throwing at us constantly. (how many superfoods came up in the last decade? hard to count) I'd be happy to be convinced.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Sorry to read your bottle changed shape, Jim.

I’ve using CeraVe Daily Moisturizer and the Equate equivalent. They both have HA and ceramides and many other things I can eventually spell and occasionally pronounce.

By themselves, they work better on dried, cracked feet than regular moisturizer with added lanolin (not that I shave my feet yet, but skin is skin).

Don’t know if it’s the chemicals or the placebo effect, but I’m sold for now.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

I’ve using CeraVe Daily Moisturizer and the Equate equivalent. They both have HA and ceramides and many other things I can eventually spell and occasionally pronounce.

By themselves, they work better on dried, cracked feet than regular moisturizer with added lanolin (not that I shave my feet yet, but skin is skin).

I have to agree with your accuracy, I usually get very dry hands in the winter months because its so dry where I live and frequent washing of hands robs the natural oils your body produces. CeraVe moisturizer lotion(Balm) with HA just works better than other lotions I have tried also over the years, I like to apply a dollop on the hands before going to bed helps a lot IMO.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have to agree with your accuracy, I usually get very dry hands in the winter months because its so dry where I live and frequent washing of hands robs the natural oils your body produces. CeraVe moisturizer lotion(Balm) with HA just works better than other lotions I have tried also over the years, I like to apply a dollop on the hands before going to bed helps a lot IMO.

I was checking out some CeraVe lotion with Hyaluronic Acid in it the other day at Target and was reading the back of the label. I was a bit surprised to see several different added Parabens in it. Liking alcohol splashes myself with it's chemicals and dyes, I'm pretty indifferent to stuff like that and not looking to create a debate here. But I have heard Parabens are carcinogenic?

I have been interested in reading up on HA quite a bit since seeing this thread back in 2020 and hearing the praise on HA. 99.9% of the time, I am perfectly happy with my alcohol splashes and it's vegetable glycerin as a moisurizer. But maybe a couple of times a year, in the coldest and driest parts of our winters, especially if I think I am going out into the cold and wind, I will grab a small squirt from the wife's family sized bottle of Gold Bond face & body lotion she keeps on the bathroom counter and rub it into my face and neck after my AS splash and then throw on some chap stick on the lips, bundle up and head outside.

Because of this thread, I decided to read the back of her bottle of Gold Bond and found it also has hyaluronic acid in it. From what I see on the label, it doesn't have any Parabens like the CeraVe has and the HA is higher on the list of ingredients than the HA is on CeraVe's bottle. Ingredients on product labels, usually list their ingredients from those that have the most amount to the least. So from what I gather, there is more HA in the Gold Bond then there is in the CeraVe?

Having said all of this in this wall of text, I have also been reading about Collagen Protein, which is a huge natural source and provider of Hyaluronic Acid. But taken internally instead of rubbing it on the face? I have been reading a bunch of huge benefits for skin, hair nails, etc, from supplementing with collagen?

Has anyone else heard about this? I would think getting more HA internally would benefit the facial skin more than an applied product?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I was checking out some CeraVe lotion with Hyaluronic Acid in it the other day at Target and was reading the back of the label. I was a bit surprised to see several different added Parabens in it. Liking alcohol splashes myself with it's chemicals and dyes, I'm pretty indifferent to stuff like that and not looking to create a debate here. But I have heard Parabens are carcinogenic?

I have been interested in reading up on HA quite a bit since seeing this thread back in 2020 and hearing the praise on HA. 99.9% of the time, I am perfectly happy with my alcohol splashes and it's vegetable glycerin as a moisurizer. But maybe a couple of times a year, in the coldest and driest parts of our winters, especially if I think I am going out into the cold and wind, I will grab a small squirt from the wife's family sized bottle of Gold Bond face & body lotion she keeps on the bathroom counter and rub it into my face and neck after my AS splash and then throw on some chap stick on the lips, bundle up and head outside.

Because of this thread, I decided to read the back of her bottle of Gold Bond and found it also has hyaluronic acid in it. From what I see on the label, it doesn't have any Parabens like the CeraVe has and the HA is higher on the list of ingredients than the HA is on CeraVe's bottle. Ingredients on product labels, usually list their ingredients from those that have the most amount to the least. So from what I gather, there is more HA in the Gold Bond then there is in the CeraVe?

Having said all of this in this wall of text, I have also been reading about Collagen Protein, which is a huge natural source and provider of Hyaluronic Acid. But taken internally instead of rubbing it on the face? I have been reading a bunch of huge benefits for skin, hair nails, etc, from supplementing with collagen?

Has anyone else heard about this? I would think getting more HA internally would benefit the facial skin more than an applied product?
Interesting article on the Parabens, from what I understand they are used for antifungal preservatives and the 2 CeraVe parabens used are in very small amounts that would not make a human sick and the Methylparaben are produced naturally in some fruits.
They have to add preservatives or people would get very sick or have bad skin issues and these are common Parabens used in cosmetics to preserve the product.
I'm very leery of all natural products for shelf life and they have to be used quickly or fungus & bacteria start to occur in certain products over time.
Does no harm to look at the ingredient list if folks are sensitive to certain chemicals. Some people are allergic to almonds and have bad skin reactions from what I have read and that is a natural product.
Thanks for the heads up!

I was applying HA directly and really did not notice much difference myself unti I put 2 drops in my Nivea balm for a few weeks.

That's the way I have been using it.

The Nivea balm provides its immediate fixes for my scraping and drying the skin, and the hyaluronic acid gets a helpful carrier medium, to make it stick and do its longer term stuff, or at least that is my guess.

It's impossible to tease out what component does what, but as a 365 shaves aspirant, 337 shaves in and with great skin condition, I can't be doing anything too badly wrong.

I'll give HA a great big statistical :thumbup:, but with the usual side order of YMMV.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen

I use CeraVe Cream on my feet and Lotion as an after shave balm. Both work great. Just a wonderful line of products at reasonable prices. Scentless, too, so nothing conflicts with your frag.

So it's been a while with this thread and I'm about out of my bottle of Hyaluronic Acid. I was pleased with the results but I'll probably need to find a different brand as this one doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere.
So what's everybody using nowadays brand wise I know some are mixing their own from powder?

I use a Hylauronic Acid serum. The brand is The Ordinary. I just stocked up. It was sold out on Amazon—where I bought it last time, but I got it on Sephora. I apply it to my rinsed-but-still-wet face post shave, let it sit as my face air-dries, and then apply Jack Black face moisturizer with SPF on top of it. Best post-shave routine I have had so far!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So it's been a while with this thread and I'm about out of my bottle of Hyaluronic Acid. I was pleased with the results but I'll probably need to find a different brand as this one doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere.
So what's everybody using nowadays brand wise I know some are mixing their own from powder?

Mostly I'm using Mysterium Serum.

Mysterioum.Pump.640JPG.JPG

It contains HA. For my skin, it works great. I mostly use it occasionally and/or when I suspect my skin is a little dry or a little overdone by a perhaps too close shave.

Of course there are several brands of HA. I've tried a couple both of which are fine, both of which have already been mentioned.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Mostly I'm using Mysterium Serum.

View attachment 1711421

It contains HA. For my skin, it works great. I mostly use it occasionally and/or when I suspect my skin is a little dry or a little overdone by a perhaps too close shave.

Of course there are several brands of HA. I've tried a couple both of which are fine, both of which have already been mentioned.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I didn't realize that Mysterium Serum was loaded down with all of those nice ingredients.
I might have to try that in the future too. Is that one unscented with no cooling agent in it?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I didn't realize that Mysterium Serum was loaded down with all of those nice ingredients.

1693675798780.png

It is interesting to read, on the Phoenix website, their comments about the qualities and merits of the various ingredients.

I might have to try that in the future too. Is that one unscented with no cooling agent in it?

Yes, the Mysterium Serum I buy is unscented with no cooling agent.

1693675029447.png

They also make this.

I've not tried it and plan not to.​

I'm not badmouthing menthol or scents. Use what you like.

On very infrequent occasions this big gun hits the spot for me. It's not long lasting. It's over the top, intense, and overpowering, but brief.​
Osage Rub, Antique Bottle.jpg

I've learned the hard way to be careful with my orders for products such as Mysterium Serum, the Cube, and the Tube. I've received mentholated versions of a couple. It's always been my failure to order correctly. I've learned to double check or triple check my order.

Mysterioum.Pump.640JPG.JPG

I use this version of Mysterium Serum.

It has no menthol and is unscented.​

Happy shaves,

Jim

Attachments

• MysteriumSerumBalm.Label.640.1-14-22.JPG
    MysteriumSerumBalm.Label.640.1-14-22.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 0
Did actually read about the mysterium serum on PAA website it is pretty interesting.
I'm not a big fan on cooling agents either personally. I ended up with a B&M sample the other day I forget which one, and got a little in action. I thought for a minute I was getting a reaction from Barrister and man but forgot what I had read about coolant agent because I snagged a few samples. I guess that one wasn't terrible but just enough to mess with me, I won't be buying that one.
I'm never used that Osage rub it sounds interesting.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Did actually read about the mysterium serum on PAA website it is pretty interesting.
I'm not a big fan on cooling agents either personally. I ended up with a B&M sample the other day I forget which one, and got a little in action. I thought for a minute I was getting a reaction from Barrister and man but forgot what I had read about coolant agent because I snagged a few samples. I guess that one wasn't terrible but just enough to mess with me, I won't be buying that one.

I'm never used that Osage rub it sounds interesting.

That it is.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've got some more ordered. I went for The Ordinary brand through their website, free shipping over $25. The wife is back using it too so better keep it stocked at home.
PAA Mysterium Serum is on the radar.
For all of the suggestions that really helps. Thanks guys!
The powder mix seems like a less expensive deal and a bit interesting.

I apologize for not paying good enough attention to this thread, because this is a post which could have been made at the end of August, when it might have been useful to @Keto. I invested a lot of time in August reassessing my skin care regimen, and my research turned up some new-to-me details about hyaluronic acid, including details about some products mentioned above. I am posting now because these details may be useful, if not to the current thread participants themselves, then at least to future shavers passing this way.

The Ordinary and Rolanyin HYALURONIC ACID.jpg

The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 Hydrating Serum 2 oz/ 60 mL This product, Keto's choice, is highly rated on Amazon, where it sells well despite being frequently out of stock. I was unable to find the full ingredient list either on Amazon or at the The Ordinary product page. However, at the end of my August investigations, I, too, chose The Ordinary, so I was able to read the full ingredients off the box:

Aqua (Water), Sodium Hyaluronate, Pentylene Glycol, Propanediol, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Panthenol, Ahnfeltia Concinna Extract, Glycerin, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Citric Acid, Isoceteth-20, Ethoxydiglycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hexylene Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol

Other things being equal, I tend to be wary of cosmetics with long ingredient lists (including shaving soaps lol), especially when I can't pronounce the names! I'm concerned for health reasons and because ingredients in different products sometimes interact counterproductively. In any case, I did look up the first 11 of the 17 The Ordinary ingredients, gathering information from The Cleveland Clinic, National Institutes of Health, EWG, Healthline, and Paula's Choice. Obviously, this was not scholarly research, nor was it even complete. But for the first 11, I found their reasons for being in the mix, and I found no red flags when used externally as directed.

ROLANYIN Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 30ml 1 Fl Oz ... This product caught my eye because the packaging looked similar to The Ordinary and because the price per ounce was much cheaper. Amazon lists the ROLANYIN full ingredients: They are exactly the same as the full ingredients on the The Ordinary box - same items, same order! That said, it should be noted that for whatever reasons, ROLANYIN has terrible customer reviews.

INSTASKINCARE Hyaluronic Acid.jpg

InstaSkinCare Hyaluronic Acid for Face - 100% Pure ... Anti aging serum ... I seem to recall that this product generated some buzz on B&B a while back. Upon reexamination, one thing I like about it is the limited ingredient list: Purified water, Glycerol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol. One thing I did not like was the difficulty of finding information on the concentration of hyaluronic acid. The only information I found were these two comments, squirreled away as Answers in the electronic backwater of Amazon's latest, obfuscating "Questions" format:

Hello,

The bottle says .1%. I don't know how much that is in terms of a good hyaluronic acid product.
proxy.php

InstaSkincare

SELLER · February 18, 2018
Do you find this helpful? Yes |

and ...

The concentration of Hyaluronic acid is 1% ,each serving contains 1.031 mg ,our hyaluronic spec RM is of 94%.
proxy.php

InstaSkincare

SELLER · December 28, 2019
One person found this helpful. Do you? Yes |

My guess is that the InstaSkincare product contains 1% hyaluronic acid (+/-??) ... but that is just a guess. I used to care more about concentration than I do today, so if I were sure that 1% is correct, I would not hesitate to buy the InstaSkincare product on that account. More likely, I might prefer its lack of additives, or I might prefer the additives that are present in some other brand.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Brand comparisons aside, there are a few other things to keep in mind about hyaluronic acid. Many of you may have heard some or all of them already, but IMO they bear repeating.
  • With hyaluronic acid, less is often more. According to ClevelandClinic.Org, "a quarter-teaspoon of hyaluronic acid can hold about one and a half gallons of water"!
  • If there is any consensus about facial care, I think it might be that, for most people, a good beginning regimen is to cleanse, moisturize, and apply sunscreen twice daily. How would hyaluronic acid fit into this regimen?
  • The right way to incorporate hyaluronic acid into your routine depends on the type of product you are using. According to healthline.com, if your hyaluronic acid is already infused into your moisturizer, then add it when you would add any moisturizer - after cleansing and before sunscreen. If you use a separate hyaluronic acid serum, then add it right after cleansing, while your skin is still damp, and apply the moisturizer immediately after.
  • This last bullet is personal, and therefore somewhat out of place: It has been a very long time since I used hyaluronic acid as part of a preshave routine, the main reason being that I am concerned hyaluronic acid may unbalance the carefully crafted soap recipes in today's better soaps. Many of the soaps we use today contain significant moisturizers, in some cases already including hyaluronic acid in the mix. I don't have science to back up my preshave decision, but I wrote this bullet in the hope that it would add value in two ways - first, to encourage those who have not thought about the issue to think it over, and second, to invite criticism. Maybe I'm missing something or not thinking correctly.
Finally, keep in mind that these remarks are solely aimed at the external use of hyaluronic acid, and then only for facial care. Also, I am neither a medical professional nor a cosmetician, so if you want to be safe, get yourself appropriate professional advice before messing around with chemicals near your eyes or anywhere else on your face/body. That aside, I hope this has been helpful to you in some way.

Attachments

• The Ordinary and Rolanyin HYALURONIC ACID.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 0
  • INSTASKINCARE Hyaluronic Acid.jpg
    INSTASKINCARE Hyaluronic Acid.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 0
  • The Ordinary and Rolanyin HYALURONIC ACID.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
@HighSpeedSpoon that was some good research you laid out there with quite a post also.
I appreciate the post because some of those details are still fresh in my mind.
I did notice that one product, Instaskincare was pretty vague on the amount of Hyaluronic acid.
I like you tried to dig deeper and look at the questions and couldn't tell if it was .1 % or 1%.

Just curious if you did change something on your skin routine?

@HighSpeedSpoon that was some good research you laid out there with quite a post also.
I appreciate the post because some of those details are still fresh in my mind.
I did notice that one product, Instaskincare was pretty vague on the amount of Hyaluronic acid.
I like you tried to dig deeper and look at the questions and couldn't tell if it was .1 % or 1%.

Just curious if you did change something on your skin routine?
I appreciate the kind words @Keto. Thank you. The short answer to your question is that yes, some things changed after August.

But TBH, far and away the biggest skin care change I made was in the spring, and that change was getting religion about the twice daily cleanse/moisturize/sunscreen regimen. My right neck was getting increasingly unshavable, and I couldn't figure out why. I finally plugged my brain back in and went to the dermatologist, who identified the problem as sun damage. I did not agonize over finding the best products, but I did do enough homework to find good products - products that fit my lifestyle and that, for the time being at least, I still use. I cannot tell you how pleased and relieved I am with the results, now that I can shave more frequently again, and with less frustration!

Now, fast forward from spring to August: The impetus for last August's research was one of my cardinal rules of shaving: My face is not a laboratory! I do not take that rule to its extreme, which IMO would be to do a fixed four forever. That would be too boring. But by the time August arrived, my morale was back on track, and I thought to myself, I can likely do way better by simplifying my post shave care. TBH I have been a sucker for the matching aftershave or balm. They prolong the soap scent and look good in photos, but they also eat up budget, and they are all over the map with chemicals. Perfumes and colognes are available for scent, which is what they're made for and good at. But most importantly, perfumes and colognes don't need to be applied to the face. So why not ditch the aftershave parade, and put on the face only products made for the sole purposes of soothing and healing the skin and proven day after day to work on my skin. It's hardly a new idea, but it made great sense to me.

So in my own mind, I broke down post shave care into immediate and follow up care, and to be clear, I mean "follow up care" to exclude the daily morning and evening regimen. (This might change later.) In any case, I'm thinking that immediate care includes antisepsis, astringency, moisturizing, and soothing/healing. OTOH follow up care generally includes only moisturizing and soothing/healing. The more I looked, the more two chemicals stood out, in my mind at least, for moisturizing and soothing/healing: hyaluronic acid and aloe. That leaves me here regarding post shave care:

1. Astringency and antisepsis (no change): I currently use a brand of witch hazel which also contains 14% grain alcohol and meets both of these needs. In a pinch, I also have styptic powder for added astringency.
  2. Moisturizing and healing (new): I have The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% with B5 and Seven Minerals Organic Aloe Vera Gel. We have already talked about The Ordinary. I like the Seven Minerals because it is made directly from aloe leaves, has a minimal ingredient list, and seems to be a pure, simple, unadulterated version of aloe.
Time will tell how disciplined I am about the matching aftercare products. Most, if not all of us, have our favorites, and one vendor in particular makes post shave products that always smell great and work well for me. Plus, I have an embarrassingly large cache of aftershaves already. Perhaps I will use them sparingly. ¿Maybe between the HA and the aloe?

But first things first: It remains to be seen how well a HA/aloe routine works by itself for soothing and healing. If things go well, I may forget about aftershaves entirely, and if nothing else, I will have an excellent baseline available. Please keep your 🤞🤞

Top Bottom