What's new

Humidity and rust prevention.

I like to ask...can we use Vaseline on razors? I used Johnson baby mineral oil then changed to Vaseline.

I found pure Silicone Oil locally and affordable too. Must it be food-grade type?

Thanks for your answers...

Legion

Staff member
I like to ask...can we use Vaseline on razors? I used Johnson baby mineral oil then changed to Vaseline.

I found pure Silicone Oil locally and affordable too. Must it be food-grade type?

Vaseline will help prevent rust, but it would be a pain to remove without the potential of messing up the edge.

Is there food grade silicon oil? I wouldn't want to ingest it.

You can get food grade mineral oil at most any pharmacy. It is sold as a laxative.

Yes...
"Are silicones safe for food? Yes, food-grade silicone is safe for food. The FDA has approved food-grade silicone for use in a variety of kitchen products, including baking molds, cupcake liners, ice cube trays, food storage bags, and reusable straws..."
Not sure about Silicone Oil...

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!

Yes, the image that I posted in #78 is labeled food grade. The image is from an Amazon listing, but I actually have this product. It’s good for ‘re-charging’ the gun sacks/razor sleeves too. Sack-ups used to sell it but it’s so common and cheap that I suspect that’s the reason they stopped. I’ve had ivory and tortoise scales in the sleeves with no effect, but it does seem to darken wood.

Yes, the image that I posted in #78 is labeled food grade. The image is from an Amazon listing, but I actually have this product. It’s good for ‘re-charging’ the gun sacks/razor sleeves too. Sack-ups used to sell it but it’s so common and cheap that I suspect that’s the reason they stopped. I’ve had ivory and tortoise scales in the sleeves with no effect, but it does seem to darken wood.
Is there any concern about contaminating strops with residual silicon oil from the blade? This is the reason I’ve stuck with Balistol. It claims to be safe for leather.

Good old Vaseline, I don't see any reason not? other than it is bulky, a long dip in hot water and 82% should in theory slip off? no?

must it be food grade silicon? I don't see any reason it has to be, you are not licking your razor, plenty of window lickers ingest windex with little or no effect :w00t:
Another question please. Is baby oil from Johnson same as mineral oil? Could it be used in razors for rust protection?
Yes, baby oil IS mineral oil, sometimes with a small amount of fragrance, there is no reason it can not be used as rust protection.

baby oil IS mineral oil, sometimes with a small amount of fragrance
Baby oil can be mineral oil, but that’s not always the case. Where I live, you’d have to be lucky to find baby oil which is mineral oil. Johnson is vegetable oil. In fact, there is only one ‘brand’ of baby oil which is mineral oil, all the other ones are now different vegetable oils.

Nurses seem to recommend parents to buy the vegetable oils only, for some reason, so that’s maybe the reason why the manufacturers move away from mineral oil.

For @albsat, look on the label, don’t buy it blindly. In my case, the only baby oil I can find which is made out of mineral oil seem to also be the cheapest one (by a large margin).

Thanks, Gents...vaseline is easier to use than liquid oil (gets messy). If Vaseline can protect my razors I will continue using it.
So far I have no issues with cleaning it off before shaving. It's similar to removing oil.

Top Bottom