What's new

How to Untangle a Horse?

I have a very cute Vie Long horsehair brush that I got from a passaround brush. I went to do a test-lather with it last night and noticed that there was a "hole" in the middle. Turns out that the hairs have gotten snarled together in the center.

Is there an easy/safe way to relieve the issue?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well....

I'd use some water to wet it, then if you could find some Wella Balsam or cheapy version, leave it in. Then get a wide tooth comb. (I'm an old hairdresser) Anyhoo, hold the brush upside down and treat it like a long haired little girl. Start at the ends and detangle it by working your way up to the knot, and gently work on it till you get it out.

I still cringe when I see women brush their hair. Almost none know how to do it properly.

This is how I ALWAYS took care of my horse hair neck dusters... And I'm pretty sure this is how my wife decided to marry me.

I've never had to untangle a horse hair shaving brush, but being a beach fisherman I have had to deal with numerous bird's nests when using a multiplier reel. Your best friend is a very small crochet hook.

FarmerTan

I've never had to untangle a horse hair shaving brush, but being a beach fisherman I have had to deal with numerous bird's nests when using a multiplier reel. Your best friend is a very small crochet hook.
This is genius!

FarmerTan

very good advise and method. ^^^^wet brush and apply conditioner, comb with wide teeth after about 3-5minutes and rinse.
Yes, make sure you rinse it like you would a human headed long haired person: from the scalp to the ends.

Sometimes the hole is permanent , do to constant overbearing pressure on the knot.. A good shampoo with SHIP-SHAPE barber's brush wash may do the trick in restoring the shape.

Top Bottom