What's new

How-to: Pre-Shave Prep

This is by far the best pre shave routine I have tried. Although I am a beginner and my technique still requires improvement, the initial lather and removal with hot cloth gets me a much closer shave than simply applying a warm rag.

Welcome to B&B! I love your catalog.

My hot towel routine goes like this. I wet may towel, wring it out, fold it and put it in a large Ziploc freezer bag, leaving one corner open. I then microwave it for 2 minute then seal the bag completely. I then take it to the shower and wrap it in my bath towel. I take my shower, about 10 minutes, when I get out of the shower my bath towel is warm and my hot towel for my face is still very hot.

My hot towel routine goes like this. I wet may towel, wring it out, fold it and put it in a large Ziploc freezer bag, leaving one corner open. I then microwave it for 2 minute then seal the bag completely. I then take it to the shower and wrap it in my bath towel. I take my shower, about 10 minutes, when I get out of the shower my bath towel is warm and my hot towel for my face is still very hot.

I like that idea, it's a win-win, very clever. :thumbup1: But try it someday with some lather rubbed onto the hot towel, then fold it and put in the bath towel.

This looks like a good way for me to have decent pre-shave not tried hot towels before i shall give it a go tomorrow. I normally just use some shave oil before i apply the lather but this looks a good way to go.

Today my Slant comes. Today I try this incredible method. I'll fill in the details after.

On the topic of towels: I work @ Bed Bath & Beyond as the Store trainer so I have to be a product expert (to the point of being scary) The best towels for holding heat are two different brands. The First is (my choice) Allure Spa. They are super dense and luxurious, Made from 100% Turkish Cotton (The absolute best type of cotton). The second are the Suite towels. They are just as dense as the Spa towels but are super soft because they are combed cotton. 100% Egyptian cotton. Any questions about towels or any other products please feel free to message me I would be more than happy to give you all the info I have.

As a side note: , never, ever try to melt a Toblerone bar in the microwave to make hot chocolate. I have no idea WHY, but apparently the nougat causes a similar plasma reaction to a lit match in the microwave. A huge amount of light and energy is emmited from the microwave, as well as the forming of a toxic gas (I can't recal which gas). Very, very dangerous.

OMFG ROTFLMAO How did you EVER come up with this? This is GREAT

Today my Slant comes. Today I try this incredible method. I'll fill in the details after.

On the topic of towels: I work @ Bed Bath & Beyond as the Store trainer so I have to be a product expert (to the point of being scary) The best towels for holding heat are two different brands. The First is (my choice) Allure Spa. They are super dense and luxurious, Made from 100% Turkish Cotton (The absolute best type of cotton). The second are the Suite towels. They are just as dense as the Spa towels but are super soft because they are combed cotton. 100% Egyptian cotton. Any questions about towels or any other products please feel free to message me I would be more than happy to give you all the info I have.

I've used the Claiborne towels and the Wamsutta Supima Hotel towels (both from BB&B) and find them both to be superb. How would you compare these to the ones you mention?

Great job Kyle

One question though. Do you hold the hot towel in place for 3+ minutes, or do you recline during this phase?

Mike

Great job Kyle

One question though. Do you hold the hot towel in place for 3+ minutes, or do you recline during this phase?

Mike

Thanks, Mike.

I hold it in place. As I'm not much of a morning person, I fear that reclining would result in sleeping.

My mom was in Egypt this summer, I asked her to get me some hand towels on her way back and man oh man, I can't belive the prices they charge for egyptian cotton compared to what she payed over there.

1 12X24" 100% Egyptian cotton towel = 7 egyptian pounds which is equal to approx. $1.14 CAD, gotta love it.

Kyle,

I know you've hear this before, but I can't imagine shaving without this technique. Verily appreciated.

I'm going to try this before shaving with my Fusion next time..

Few questions..

So am I right in saying your meant to lather up, then apply the hot warm towel, therefore actually getting rid of the lather.. Then once more lather and shave.

Does that mean there is ni point using the Proraso Pre + Post shaving cream.. I haven't used it before, but after reading the posts on the forum was going to get it.

Finally, is it a bad idea to have a shower and wash face with face wash before this routine? As that's my normal routine and would then shave.

THanks.

In the years I have shaving, or should I say bleeding, I have noted that men of different races often have different shaving routines due to the courseness of their facial hair and or the natural propensity their facial hair has to curl before emerging from the skin or re-bury itself back into the skin causing the ubquitous bump.

I did not search for this on a thread but was wondering if anyone has had any success with avoiding those problems....

Kyle,

Good reading and I would very like to find the old barber manual you mentioned and read through it. I think it would be an interesting way to spend an afternoon.

I guess I am somewhat lucky in that if I wet may face with warm water and follow that with a good, richly lathering soap, such as the L'Occitane Verbena soap I am using now, it that seems to do a more than sufficient job of softening my stubble.

I stumbled on this little pre shave routine many years ago between my first go around with a DE (almost 30 years ago now) and my use of cartridge razors. The strong scent of the L'Occitane just adds to the enjoyment.

Hi,
My name is Kevin and I'm new to the site and I have just started wet shaving in August. I have been using Poraso pre-shave with excellent results, but tonight I didn't want the cooling sensation. So, I whipped up my lather and brought out the hot towel and preformed this routine before my shave and all I have to say is WOW I will definatly be using this more often.

Kevin

So am I right in saying your meant to lather up, then apply the hot warm towel, therefore actually getting rid of the lather.. Then once more lather and shave.
Correct

Does that mean there is ni point using the Proraso Pre + Post shaving cream.. I haven't used it before, but after reading the posts on the forum was going to get it.
Different folks will give you different answers to this question. I like Proraso's Pre/Post, especially when my skin is dry. The best results I get when using it is to apply and let it sit for several minutes before continuing on with the rest of the routine.

Finally, is it a bad idea to have a shower and wash face with face wash before this routine? As that's my normal routine and would then shave.
Again, this is a question that will get you differing answers. Personally, I don't get as good of a shave if I use a face wash prior to the shave. Try it both ways and see what suits you.

In the years I have shaving, or should I say bleeding, I have noted that men of different races often have different shaving routines due to the courseness of their facial hair and or the natural propensity their facial hair has to curl before emerging from the skin or re-bury itself back into the skin causing the ubquitous bump.

I did not search for this on a thread but was wondering if anyone has had any success with avoiding those problems....
When using this pre-shave method, I get maybe one ingrown ever 3-4 months. I would be interested to hear others results.
Kyle,

Good reading and I would very like to find the old barber manual you mentioned and read through it. I think it would be an interesting way to spend an afternoon.
I'll see if I can't find the exact title of the text I found. If I can locate it, I'll PM it to you.
Hi,
My name is Kevin and I'm new to the site and I have just started wet shaving in August. I have been using Poraso pre-shave with excellent results, but tonight I didn't want the cooling sensation. So, I whipped up my lather and brought out the hot towel and preformed this routine before my shave and all I have to say is WOW I will definatly be using this more often.

Kevin

Glad to hear its working for you, Kevin. :thumbsup:

I'm going to be trying this for the first time tonight. Am I to wet my face at all before applying the first bit of lather, or lather it dry, and then put the hot towel over it?

I usually start with 2-3 splashes of hot water, but I suppose you could go either way.

I did the prep today, and my face has felt kind of irritated ever since. I didn't go for BBS. But I didn't use AV after and only used Old Spice. I just put some AV on.

But I used Proraso, and I've been using Mama Bear soaps for a while, and I haven't used my EJ Super brush very much at all before, and I think my water/cream ratio was all off.

I got that EJ Super and then found my Tweezerman works better for soaps, and since I have so many soaps, I've just been using my Tweezerman. And I'd mostly used my Tweezerman with Proraso before.

I also started with a dry face. I'll try splashing it with warm water first next time. My face didn't feel right when shaving today, though. My face felt bone dry in the track behind where I shaved. Maybe I should have wet my face (more? I don't remember if I did at all for the first two passes) first.

Tried this technique for the first time this morning and WOW! - what a difference. Apart from the great feel of a hot towel, it provided the best shave yet. Normally after WTG and XTG there will be some spots that need to be redone. Not so this morning. I'll try and keep this going even on my working days. One issue was the towel started to go cold after about 30 seconds. Is this normal or should I try and get it hotter?
Thanks Kyle for putting me on to this one.

Top Bottom