What's new

How to hold a straight

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Good input so far gents!!

This is probably overkill, but here's what works for me.

Conventional grip: Used for i) N to S everywhere (left and right hands) and ii) XTG left side (ear to center), cheek and jawline. I tend not to do XTG center to ear.
proxy.php

XTG right side (ear to center), cheek and jawline (low angle):
proxy.php

Under the neck (S to N):
proxy.php

Neck XTG (downward slant, center to side) and touchup:
proxy.php

BTW - I didn't mention, but I shave in the garden...:w00t:

EDIT: One more thing to mention. Finding the grips that work for my own 'face map' was one of the most helpful (and difficult...) things in my learning to get
consistent, reliable shaves. The other things are i) really diligent skin stretching, and ii) use of an alum block for 'traction' as learned from
Chimensch's excellent video. These 2 things are critical for me, FWIW....

The last photo in your post is a grip that I discovered on my own just recently for XTG on my neck and it turned out to be a huge missing piece to the puzzle for me. Incorporating this new grip has lifted the shave quality on my neck from CCS to DFS within a couple shaves. :thumbup1:

Am i the only one whose managed to even shave his knuckles hairs off?

I don't have that much hair on my knuckles, so it's my forearms and calves. I shaved my chest yesterday, but was a scareded-cat and used a DE.

What can i say... I get bored inbetween morning shaves.

I compulsively feel my face and neck for stubble. I've done entire ATG passes based on one isolated slightly rough patch. One nice thing about straights they don't tell you is that you can overshave with little to no razor burn, unlike a DE. :lol:

Like a guitar pick, thumb, index and middle finger on one side, and the ring on the tang. No different than anybody else here. Once my camera gets repaired and I'm not knee deep in linguistics I'll give you a pic.

The last photo in your post is a grip that I discovered on my own just recently for XTG on my neck and it turned out to be a huge missing piece to the puzzle for me. Incorporating this new grip has lifted the shave quality on my neck from CCS to DFS within a couple shaves. :thumbup1:

I hear you. This is essential for me. My neck is a mass of swirling eddys and herringbone patterns. It takes drastic measures....

This is probably overkill, but here's what works for me.

Conventional grip: Used for i) N to S everywhere (left and right hands) and ii) XTG left side (ear to center), cheek and jawline. I tend not to do XTG center to ear.
proxy.php

XTG right side (ear to center), cheek and jawline (low angle):
proxy.php

Under the neck (S to N):
proxy.php

Neck XTG (downward slant, center to side) and touchup:
proxy.php

BTW - I didn't mention, but I shave in the garden...:w00t:

EDIT: One more thing to mention. Finding the grips that work for my own 'face map' was one of the most helpful (and difficult...) things in my learning to get
consistent, reliable shaves. The other things are i) really diligent skin stretching, and ii) use of an alum block for 'traction' as learned from
Chimensch's excellent video. These 2 things are critical for me, FWIW....

Thank you so much for this great picture post, the XTG pictures especially since this has given me a great deal of headache. Also my neck stubble seems to grow downwards and sideways, so XTG seems to be the only good way to get at them. Now I have a few more grips to test.

Great pictures guys. They have been a great help to me over the past days as I attempt a straight shave.

Luc

Staff member
Okay, kicking this one back up again. We have a few pictures in Wiki (which is great) but I know there are more grips than that. I need more than a description on how people place their fingers on the straight razor, I need to see with a picture how those finger are holding that blade. This will help any new member to shave as we often have difficulties with the grip.

So, I would like to get more pictures (I'm not that good to take some myself unless I have natural daylight which can be difficult sometimes) on how you hold your straight in order to create a more complete serie of pictures in Wiki.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/How_to_hold_a_Straight_Razor

Okay, kicking this one back up again. We have a few pictures in Wiki (which is great) but I know there are more grips than that. I need more than a description on how people place their fingers on the straight razor, I need to see with a picture how those finger are holding that blade. This will help any new member to shave as we often have difficulties with the grip.

So, I would like to get more pictures (I'm not that good to take some myself unless I have natural daylight which can be difficult sometimes) on how you hold your straight in order to create a more complete serie of pictures in Wiki.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/How_to_hold_a_Straight_Razor

holy old thread batman!

I've since upgraded to the Fusion grip

I wanted to add some pictures of my grip. I have 3 basic positions.

The first one you see is my basic WTG grip. This is the same I use for XTG left to center (except that I hold the blade vertically).

The second one is my ATG grip.

The third is my XTG right to center grip. This is the least used during my shave... only to go from my right ear to center on my second pass.

I also use a 2 handed "scrub" grip, with one hand on each end of the blade to touch up the spot right under my nose, but I would need 3 hands to photograph this.

Attachments

• $IMG_0110.jpg
    $IMG_0110.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 78
  • $IMG_0111.jpg
    $IMG_0111.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 78
  • $IMG_0112.jpg
    $IMG_0112.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 79

Luc

Staff member
Awesome! That's exactly the type of pictures that I was looking for! Thanks mate! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom