What's new

How to clean this GEM razor

Bought this at a garage sale, and first off let me apologize for being totally uneducated regarding razors.

I've watched a few YouTube videos on how to clean razors, and I've done the Dawn w/toothbrush routine, but there are still areas on this razor that I want to clean.

My question is whether I can clean these areas, or is this simply the wearing off of the plating.

Once again I apologize for being naive when it comes to razors.
$_57 (1).jpg
$_57 (2).jpg
$_57 (3).jpg
$_57 (4).jpg
$_57 (5).jpg
$_57 (6).jpg
$_57 (7).jpg
$_57.jpg
20200428_091447.jpg
20200428_091503.jpg

I'd soak it in a glass of white vinegar for several hours, then wipe off the rust and crud with a soft scouring pad. Follow that with a 10 min soak in Barbersol if you have it. Followed by a clean/polish with some MAAS, Mothers or other metal polish of your choice.

And don't use those blades. :D

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Bit of a germophobe here.....

Step 1: Start with a soak in almost boiling water with some Dawn dishwashing soap. Rinse.

Step 2: Good scrub with a soft toothbrush and more Dawn. Rinse.

Step 3: Soak in Isopropynol. Rinse.

Step 4: Barbicide for 10 minutes.

Step 5: Rinse thoroughly.

Step 6: Close inspection and remediation on any required areas.

Step 7: Polish with Flitz.

Step 8: Be patient. :)

YMMV :)

Go over the "Single Edge Razor" page. Here's the link:

Single Edged Razors - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/forums/single-edged-razors.147/

There's a ton of information about SE razors and this one in particular. If I'm not mistaken it's a GEM 1912 which would make it one of the all time best shaving safety razors out there. Various blade choices out there as well. It's chrome plated brass. Looks like almost no plating loss after over 100 years.

Dishwashing liquid, hot water, MAAS polish, toothpaste, all work. MAAS is magic. I'm no physician but I can't imagine any bugs living through that type of clean up. Boil it in a pot full of water if wish. Don't put it into a dishwasher.

One SE blade is good for something like 10 or more shaves for me.

Enjoy one of the all time classic American razors.

Top Bottom