What's new

How to clean DE blades after shaving

Day 1:
Shave face. Open head of razor and thoroughly rinse with hot water, shake while rinsing. Allow razor to dry while I finish up aftershave routine. Dip razor in 99% Isopropyl and give it a swirl. Remove and shake excess alcohol off. Tighten head. Strop blade on inside of arm and few times each side. Put it in it stand.
Day 2:
Shave face and head. Discard blade when done. Rinse razor and dismantle. Hand wipe all parts. Reassemble loosely and put it in its stand.
Once a week:
After a Day 2, it gets 5 minutes in the ultrasonic. The solution is 3/4 C water, 1/4 C white vinegar, 1 t baking soda, 1/2 t Dawn. Then I empty the ultra sonic and refill with clean water, put all the parts of the razor (disassembled) in the alcohol jar and set the entire jar in the ultra sonic and run it for a minute or two.

The above followed by a shrink wrap in plastic, into a pot of boiling water for 45 minutes and then unwrap, autoclave and done. Easy peasy.
Edit: Oops, sorry I already answered this one.

I take the razor apart, rinse everything under hot water, rinse the blade and dry all the parts. With the razor blade after I have rinsed it I place it on a towel and with some toilet paper, pat dry it before putting in a razor box until the next shave.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Quick swish of the razor in the sink. Job done!

If the razor is looking a little scummed up, I'll clean it with a cloth at the next blade change.

Been doing that for thirty years, and never had a problem.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I rinse the blade after every shave and pat it or dab it dry with a towel or a tissue. I never rub the blade and then I let it air dry in the razor on the razor rack.

You clean the edge with soap and water while you shave. The rest of the blade doesn't matter. A quick rinse of the razor is enough.

Some of my creams tend to leave a bit of soapy/hairy schmoo on the blade. After either taking apart a 3 piece or opening a TTO will carefully hold the blade by the corner, rinse it under hot water then dab it dry between a tea towel. Never cut myself yet doing this.

I take apart my three piece razors and clean them after every shave. That means, for the blade, I rinse it and pat dry. Do not wipe.
This is the same as I do every shave. By doing this I only have to do a deep cleaning on my razors maybe once a year to year and a half at the earliest...

I open the razor and remove the blade. Rinse off both sides of the blade with hot water and the inside of the razor itself. Blow off the excess water and reinsert the blade. Close up the razor then pat the outside with a hand towel. Its become part of my shaving routine that to me is almost as enjoyable as the shaving itself. Once a month the whole razor gets a scrub down with dawn and a toothbrush.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
MV5BMDdiYWRkMjYtMWUzYy00ZWQ3LTkyNzktYzA4ZDMzZDI2NDE1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_.jpg

I remove the blade every time after a shave, rinse it with water, shake dry and sometimes blow the excess water and then put it back in the wax paper it came in. I never leave a blade in a razor as I shave usually once a week and have several razors with many different blades (hence it could take weeks for me to get to that same razor and blade again and the last thing I want is a blade corroding inside one of my nice razors). For the razor after the shave I rinse it thoroughly with water, then wipe it down well, re-assemble and tighten without the blade in and put it back in its box. This routine didn't fail me so far.

I always remove the blade and then lay it on a paper napkin whereas I then fold it over once on it to just lightly pat dry. Never rub the blade edges as that causes undue wear to them.
I agree with you.
I disassemble my 34c and lay the blade on a tissue. fold over to pat dry only. no wipe. The razor is then wiped dry with fine detail. Blow out handle with breath. Assemble the blade in razor loose and blow out.

The two piece razor design complements the maintenance procedure.

Rinse with water, shake off excess put back in stand. It's only shaving, blades are cheap enough and most off my razors are 40 or fifty plus years old. Probably not given any more attention than that and they will most likely out last me.
For single edge razors , they get a quick dip in a jar of alcohol to help retard rust.

Top Bottom