What's new

How to clean a Gillette Double Ring in a safe way

IMG_20210628_201002.jpg

I was happy enough to catch a Gillette Double Ring in the wild. Some have proposed to remove the black patina with the aluminium soda trick. I tried this trick with a Pomco razor which had a crack in the handle before. The trick removed the black patina of the Pomco but the hot water caused too much stress on the metal so that the crack became larger...

So is there any other trick to remove the black patina without hot water... Don't want to risk any damage.

Thanks,

Sami

I'm a purist. I'd leave it as is. Once that 100+years of patina is gone, it's gone for another 100 years. Plus, it matches the cases "patina " better.

I'm not going to use it so I don't need to clean it for hygienic purposes.

You are absolutely right. The patina is part of the history of the razor! I think I will only clean the dust, not more.

Thank you very much!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I'm not going to use it so I don't need to clean it for hygienic purposes.

You are absolutely right. The patina is part of the history of the razor! I think I will only clean the dust, not more.

Thank you very much!
Absolutely. But as others have implored me (@Northstonehill) to use mine, I hope you will use it on occasion. There's just something about the first Gillette.

Two minutes in Scrubbing Bubbles (no bleach) should do the trick. Congrats on a fantastic score!

I never saw Scrubbing Bubbles here in Germany. I assume it is sold under a different brand name. I once used a bathroom cleaner to clean a silver plated razor and it became even darker...

You only live once so use that razor and enjoy it. I clean mine with scrubbing bubbles and a toothbrush, and then use Wrights Silver Polish to shine them up.

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

That's right... Maybe not a daily driver but for sure for certain days. Thanks.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I never saw Scrubbing Bubbles here in Germany. I assume it is sold under a different brand name. I once used a bathroom cleaner to clean a silver plated razor and it became even darker...

Top Bottom