What's new

A safe, easy, and inexpensive way to remove wax from DE blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sure I’m not the first person to ever think of this, but I may be the first to post it here based on my limited search. Apologies if it’s been discussed before.

Wax on blades has been discussed to death here. Normally, it doesn’t bother me as it was easy to clean off my chrome plated razors. However, I noticed immediately that it was tougher to remove from my stainless steel razors, so I started to remove the wax before loading the blade. I’m not too keen on using the previous, expired blade to scrape the wax off, which has also been discussed frequently, especially in the morning before my coffee has fully kicked in. Sharp on sharp (on both ends, too) is a little too risky for me. I tried using a putty knife, but that was way too big of a tool for the job and was clumsy. Also, despite what others may claim, hot water doesn’t rinse the wax off, either.

I recently discovered plastic razor blades! These are cheap (5 for $1.99), safe, and effective at removing wax from the blades. They handle very nicely in the hand, scrape the wax off perfectly, and the plastic isn’t going to damage the blade in any way.

They are worth a try if you hate wax on your blades.

I wouldn’t try these in a GEM razor, though! :lol:

IMG_2304.jpeg

IMG_2305.jpeg

IMG_2306.jpeg

This looks like a good idea! Thanks for sharing! I will definitely look out for some of these.

The stuff on the blades I use is more like a soft glue, its very sticky/gooey and difficult to get off. I don't think mind would shift with water and would likely require some rubbing. I mostly use Feather, Personna and occasionally Astra.. and if my memory serves me correctly all three of them have the sticky glue type on them. I find it to be somewhat of a pain also! I'm not sure why its even needed to be on the blade, couldn't they just seal the little envelope instead? But even if they did deem it essential to keep the blade in place I'd imagine much less would do the same job.. some of my blades come with an excessive amount on!

I used to rub it off but recently I just tend to leave it be now.. just handle by the sides, put the blade in and try forget it. A few weeks ago I noticed on the Feather blades pack it says not to rub the blades clean/dry.. I'm not sure why this is. I don't know a great deal about them but I think some blades may be coated so maybe there's a thin coating on them and excess rubbing will remove it? So ever since I just try and have as little contact with the blade. I just put it in and use it.. then toss it after three shaves.

But if I see a little packet of these I'll definitely buy and give it a go before using the blade. Thanks again.

I just leave my last used blade out until after I've chosen my next blade, to remove any wax that happens to be there.

I've considered getting a razor blade style scraper to keep in the bathroom for the purpose, but haven't done anything about it yet.

For me that’s just another gadget we don’t need to spend our money on m no matter how cheap.
hot water & a little run over with a nail brush
bobs your uncle

As I mentioned in my OP, I normally don’t care or remove the dots, but they have been gumming up my stainless steel razors compared to my chrome plated ones for whatever reason. This gum absolutely does not rinse off or break down over time; it only builds up over time. It’s simply easier for me to remove the wax from the blade before loading it. I’m actually a bit surprised by the disagreeable manner that has started to develop here.

As I mentioned in my OP, I normally don’t care or remove the dots, but they have been gumming up my stainless steel razors compared to my chrome plated ones for whatever reason. This gum absolutely does not rinse off or break down over time; it only builds up over time. It’s simply easier for me to remove the wax from the blade before loading it. I’m actually a bit surprised by the disagreeable manner that has started to develop here.

This is why I scrape em off. They stick to my stainless razors like crazy, and I only have stainless razors.

Never seen tap water hot enough to move em either.

People tend to love gadgets until they don't, and they gravitate to toys in unpredictable ways ;-)

I'm fairly certain that the warnings about not rubbing the blade are to protect the coating. If I understand it correctly, many of the coatings are somewhat fragile.

So my question (apart from gumming up a razor) is whether the dots mess up blade clamping/alignment.

... Thom

I use mineral turpentine (light mineral spirit). Soak them for a few minutes on the end of a thin piece of wire (a la electroplating), then give them a light swish around (making sure I don't knock the blade edge on the container sides), and it is basically gone.

It is a bit of a pain, but much prefer that to gumming up the razor, and it is not even close to a deal breaker for an otherwise good blade.

Since I started doing it I also don't have to do a full clean of the razor as often. Just rinse it and the blade straight after a shave, and dry it all.

Handling the blade to remove dots is an unnecessary risk. It’s easier and MUCH safer to remove wax residue from the razor than it is the blade. And there’s no practical reason not to, the dots don’t impact the quality of the shave in any way, and they clean up easily post-shave.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom