What's new

How should I proceed?

This was in a pile of razors that I picked up last weekend. I didn't notice it was a G. Wostenholm & Son I*XL or a wedge until I got home.

20190126_202133.jpg

After some cleaning I found this on the blade. I tried all different lighting to get a better picture, it actually looks better than this.

20190127_224724.jpg

My question is how do I proceed, I don't want to sand too much? What's the lowest grit should I use?

Also, does anyone know about when it was made, I'm guessing about mid 19th century.

I would try to polish it first and see where that lands you. Either Flitz, MAAS, or Mother’s should work. You can always go more aggressive if need be but I would start least aggressive as possible to retain the nice etching.

I would try to polish it first and see where that lands you. Either Flitz, MAAS, or Mother’s should work. You can always go more aggressive if need be but I would start least aggressive as possible to retain the nice etching.

I have Flitz. I'll try that later today. Thanks

This was in a pile of razors that I picked up last weekend. I didn't notice it was a G. Wostenholm & Son I*XL or a wedge until I got home.

View attachment 949101

After some cleaning I found this on the blade. I tried all different lighting to get a better picture, it actually looks better than this.

View attachment 949102

My question is how do I proceed, I don't want to sand too much? What's the lowest grit should I use?

Also, does anyone know about when it was made, I'm guessing about mid 19th century.
What did you do to get the initial rust off?

What did you do to get the initial rust off?

Sorry for the delayed reply, it's been a hectic time of the for me.

Im no expert and to be quite honest, I don't remember for sure exactly what my process was with this one. :wheelchair:

I've cleaned rust from several blades since this one and what I do now is start with WD40, let it set for a bit, then rub it with 0000 steel wool. If it needs more, I will start with 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper under running water and work my way down (grit) slowly until I get it where I want it. I've found that if I start to aggressively it causes me more work to get out the scratches that I made. After that, I work my way back up to 2000 grit and finish it up with Flitz or Mother's.

After a lot of reading, I've found this to be a pretty common process.

I hope I've helped. Good luck.

How did the blade come up?

Sorry it took me so long to reply, life's been hectic. I've actually put this one to the side for now. I have a lot of other projects going and I want to make sure I can restore it the best way possible before I continue.

Top Bottom