What's new

How OCD are we?

What most people describe, joke, or trivialize as OCD is nowhere near real OCD. Actual OCD is debilitating and affects quality of life.

Just like being sad isn’t always depression, being organized or particular isn’t obsessive compulsion.

Yes, I have an actual diagnosis of anxiety and OCD.
Jay21

I have worked in mental health for over 25 years and know OCD sufferers and suffering very well.

Does it bother you when it is joked about and trivialize?

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Jay21

I have worked in mental health for over 25 years and know OCD sufferers and suffering very well.

Does it bother you when it is joked about and trivialize?
I guess it depends on the situation. If it's one of innocent ignorance, I understand the context and it doesn't bother me. Some people don't actually know OCD is medical/mental condition. Some people don't understand that acting out compulsions isn't a choice.

Yep. And it can also be mostly obsessive, like intrusive thoughts, and not compulsively repeating certain behaviors — although it can certainly be that.
JimmyJoeMeeker

Not sure what you mean “not compulsively repeating certain behaviors”.

OCD is repeating behaviors, wishing the intrusive thoughts will stop making the sufferer repeat.

Old thread I know.

Absolutely OCD! Isn’t that part of the fun??
BigJ
I get that you are joking, having fun and enjoying this thread. Continue to enjoy this thread.

Just know those who really suffer from OCD do not find it fun. They would do anything to make the intrusive thoughts stop so that they can enjoy wet shaving.

I agree with @luvmysuper 's post above. True OCD is or can be debilitating.....

One of the things for which I have a lot of disdain is wasting inordinate amounts of time looking for something. That's why I prefer to be organized. My Dad taught me.... every tool has a place, so use them, clean them and put them back where they belong. His advice has served me well over the years.
Phoenixkh

It sounds like you are enjoying this thread and having fun with this topic. You should. That is what this forum is all about. Continue to do so. Your father was correct.

Just know those with actual OCD do waste inordinate amounts of time, but not by choice. Time is precious to them just like it is to both you and your father.

The intrusive thoughts trigger the repeated compulsions. The illness tells them if they do not repeat the behaviors something bad will happen to their loved ones. Due to this, the behaviors are repeated, “wasting an inordinate amounts of time”. In their minds they are keeping their loved ones safe.

No one wants to waste time if they can help it.

I’m not OCD, I just hyper-fixate and judge myself harshly. If I could figure out the insurance code so a diagnosis isn’t $600+, I’d get all my anxiety disorders and neurological divergences catalogued. Sadly, I think it’d be a few hours of testing and the psychiatrist would just write “weirdo” on the form.

You can get that covered with a single brush:

Otherwise, you’ll be in a prism of your own making.
Rocket1

The brush thing. That was hilarious. Thank you for the laugh.

The term has come to be used loosely to describe nearly any meticulous behavior. Count me among the ignorant mass of people who unknowingly may be insulting those truly afflicted. It isn't intentional, though I suppose still hurtful to those who are struggling.

I never judge, and do my best to filter my responses to not offend.

You do you, I'll do me...and we can happily coexist. 🙂
gpjoe

Your sensitivity on the debilitating topic is appreciated.

Most who suffer from real OCD do not mind OCD humor as long as it comes from a good place like you and those in this forum.

OCD suffers want others to educate themselves so they really understand what OCD symptoms are, and show respect.

JimmyJoeMeeker

Not sure what you mean “not compulsively repeating certain behaviors”.

OCD is repeating behaviors, wishing the intrusive thoughts will stop making the sufferer repeat.

Old thread I know.

Context matters. This is a shaving forum. Most people, most of the time, distinguish between thoughts and behaviors.

While there may be fields of study or other contexts where more specific definitions are required, I stand by my previous wording. The fact that it made it nine months and seems to have confused only one person is a record I can live with.

I had to read through quickly to make sure I wasn't a repeat!

To the OP, I don't think it is OCD really, but this kind of stuff tends to attract the collector type personality.
Collectors can be pretty focused at times, but I don't know that it is compulse, though it may at times be obsessive!

Here's a picture to drive your OCD friends crazy.

That picture just made my day, thank you.

and germaphobes
From where I'm standing that seems to be an American thing.
There is a very cool video about a guy that gives people their coffee with the added remark; "I didn't do anything to it."
None of the receivers drinks their coffee, they just look at it in disgust..

Context matters. This is a shaving forum. Most people, most of the time, distinguish between thoughts and behaviors.

While there may be fields of study or other contexts where more specific definitions are required, I stand by my previous wording. The fact that it made it nine months and seems to have confused only one person is a record I can live with.
JimmyJoeMeeker

I am not confused by your phrase.
My apology if my question seemed offensive or challenging. Not my intention. In the context of the thread, I am just trying to understand what was meant by the phrase. No more no less. I have enjoyed this thread and what was shared.

JimmyJoeMeeker

I am not confused by your phrase.
My apology if my question seemed offensive or challenging. Not my intention. In the context of the thread, I am just trying to understand what was meant by the phrase. No more no less. I have enjoyed this thread and what was shared.

Fair enough. I meant that real OCD can vary in presentation, and that a person can have it without outward signs like excessive hand washing. The obsessing can be there without visible compulsive behavior.

I don't mean to brag, but I'm rocking a nice little bundle of neuroses. Thankfully none of them are severe enough that I can't laugh at myself (usually), but OCD is one of them.

I'm lucky that my neuroses haven't seemed to hold me back in life completely, but I've got enough personal experience with a handful of them to be able to extrapolate from a first-person perspective what it would be like if they were any worse.

So, while I don't do many things that anybody would notice — like excessive hand washing — I understand on a visceral level why some people do. It makes perfect sense to me.

Fair enough. I meant that real OCD can vary in presentation, and that a person can have it without outward signs like excessive hand washing. The obsessing can be there without visible compulsive behavior.

I don't mean to brag, but I'm rocking a nice little bundle of neuroses. Thankfully none of them are severe enough that I can't laugh at myself (usually), but OCD is one of them.

I'm lucky that my neuroses haven't seemed to hold me back in life completely, but I've got enough personal experience with a handful of them to be able to extrapolate from a first-person perspective what it would be like if they were any worse.

So, while I don't do many things that anybody would notice — like excessive hand washing — I understand on a visceral level why some people do. It makes perfect sense to me.
Thank you for helping me understand the point you were making. You are correct.

Sounds like you are talking about Pure O. I am sure you know this. For those who do not. Pure O stands for 'purely obsessional'. People sometimes use this phrase to describe a type of OCD where they experience distressing intrusive thoughts. But they don't have any external signs of compulsions, such as checking or washing physical things.

Whether with OCD or Pure O, if wet shaving helps with managing symptoms for sufferer’s, good for them.

I think I have a touch of OCD, but I manage it. My part of it is being organized. I do believe it’s hereditary as my mother was completely obsessed with cleaning. She would run the sweeper at 5:00 am almost everyday. We had furniture that we weren’t allowed to sit on, it was just to look at. God forbid that you didn’t hang up your jacket or put your books in the designated spot. We keep our home clean, but would never go to the extreme that I grew up with.

OCD. I don't really know. I do know that I'm the type that checks if the door is locked before going to bed, knowing fully well that it is.

The doors to the house and checking the garage door once leaving home are mine. I have driven around the block more than once to see if I closed the garage door.

Top Bottom