What's new

How much soap is too much soap?

20, 50, enough for the next 6 generations after you to use?
If my soap acquirement disease turns into razor acquirement disease I will go bankrupt within 6 months.

If you don't have enough room to shave for all the soap......

...move the soap to another room and then buy more soap!

For me, the goal has always been to not own more than three or four soaps, plus a handful of samples. Having more soap than that is excessive, as I cannot use it within a reasonable time frame. I've been working on thinning the herd, and not constantly buying samples, as I used to do. This has me down to very little, and I'm happy with it. Excluding my lifetime supply of MdC, I could use up every bit of soap in my den in 6 months time, if I stopped buying stuff.

I have five and NEVER plan on going past ten. If I want a different one, I PIF one or give one to family. Samples are great; I enjoy it, use it up and still have room.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
As far as I can tell soap does not "expire". So as far as I'm concerned if I end up with 200 different soaps, so be it. Same with aftershaves.

Cream on the other hand...I'm not sure it would last 20,30,40,50 years....

I have four of my own and my wife had three, but just finished one. I won't buy more until I finish one of the four.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I wanted to be a minimalist while having a bit of variety. Initially i thought that rotating between the Proraso creams, would be more than enough. But i am also a sucker for bargains and i discovered that there are actually many cheap and good european creams, as well as turkish ones, so that plan went down the drain... According to rough calculation, i am at 6,6 years of soap now, with creams being the overwhelming majority. So i will try to cut down cream purchases and maybe grab some more hard soap, since everyone says how much more resilient in time they are.

Wet shaving for years now and the best part of it all has been eliminating products and downsizing the den. Only really high quality razors, brushes & soaps now.

I had right around 100 soaps at one point but averaged around 60 or so. I am now (thank goodness) down to a 7 soap limit and I really stick to it. If an eighth comes in one goes out and quickly.

One soap for each day of the week is perfect. They last a really long time.

That wet shaving hoarding lifestyle got depressing. I enjoy the hobby so much more now.

Soap is my weakness.

I love shaving with a different soap every morning. I have about 14 soaps and I already think that's too much. But the desire to try a different one is strong.

Funny thing is that I'm a minimalist with razor, brush, and blades. I have a handful of aftershaves but not nearly as many as I have soaps.

Wet shaving for years now and the best part of it all has been eliminating products and downsizing the den. Only really high quality razors, brushes & soaps now.

I had right around 100 soaps at one point but averaged around 60 or so. I am now (thank goodness) down to a 7 soap limit and I really stick to it. If an eighth comes in one goes out and quickly.

That wet shaving hoarding lifestyle got depressing. I enjoy the hobby so much more now.

One soap for each day of the week??? So 7 soaps in active rotation? Boy and i thought the 3 i had opened now were a bit of exageration! 100 soaps??

I intend to reduce the number of my creams to, once i decide which i like the least. And to have 2 soaps in rotation at a given moment.

I am stopping ...tomorrow.
today? oh, that was just to get the aftershaves and balms I didn't have for soaps I already do.
the new soap/as/balm that came with them? Oh, That was just because I've never tried THAT one yet.
ya, I can stop any time; maybe tomorrow.

oh, forgot to mention, I can't use a soap more than one day at a time... just too many new experiences to be had yet and (at 58) I'm running outta days to do new experiences in.

Totally agree with Max here. I too have too much stuff and it's overwhelming. I just pick 10 more or less and use those for a month or two and then rotate. Still I'd prefer a more minimalist approach, I can certaily appreciate this way of thinking.

"Too much" soap?
I don't understand the question...

I need to count how many are in active rotation sitting on my bathroom counter right now but I'll estimate between 30 and 40. I did just move 3 to storage because they couldn't quite compete with my favorites, so I've got that going for me.

He who dies with the most soap wins.

Your SAD will subside. Many of jump into this headlong and develop various AD's. When we realize how much stuff we have, there is kind of a self-moderating factor that comes into play. Either that happens or your significant other puts a stop to it!

Wives don't get us!:001_rolle Yeah, it does subside but there are some absolutely amazing soaps being introduced right now so those come in.

I just have to keep the discipline and it works fine!

Top Bottom