What's new

How much is a Pocket Edition worth?

I am looking for some help here. On a visit to an antique store earlier this week, I found what looks like a new old stock Gillette 3 piece. It was in the original cardboard box, with a basket weave, metal case (silver color). Inside was the original paperwork the razor and a blade case with one blade (still in its paper wrapper). They were asking $36 for it. The shops in this area has a reputation for over-pricing and since I had no idea what it was, I left it behind.

After looking around B&B, I think it was a Pocket Edition. Maybe like this one
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17163&highlight=pocket+edition
I say maybe, because after looking at so many pictures of these on B&B, I may be a bit confused.

Anyway...is this a good deal or was I right to walk away? Can anyone suggest a value? I could always try to make an offer.

Any guidance is appreciated.

For 36.00 with original box and paperwork in good condition. As a collector I would grab it. As a user, I would grab it. Heck, I would just grab it, that's a very fair price.
I'll send you the 36.00 to grab it for me.....:biggrin:

+1...that's a very fair price for that razor as you describe it. I'd jump on it if you're starting a collection. I know if I ran across it, it's photo would be in the "Acquisitions" thread the same day!:smile:

Thanks gents! Knew I could count on you. Well, I guess I know where I am going for lunch today. :biggrin:

If its still there, it will be my first edition to the Score.

Hey guys. I wanted you to be the first to see it. Sorry about the pics. Camera on the phone is no good. I will get some better pics tonight. Look for it on the aquisition thread.

Thanks again for the push.

Also found this. Not quite sure what it is, but it was to good to pass up.

Tough to tell from th pics, but any thoughts on what it is? Needs a good polishing. The only markings I see are Pat. Nov 15 '04 on handle. Needs a good polishing.

I will likely post it in another thread to help with the identification.

Nice snag on the pocket edition. The second one youve got is a single ring old type, is there a serial number? The case is a bit odd, I dont recognise the catch, most of the old boxes had snap catches. Are there any markings on the blade boxes.THe box may be an early one thats lost its gillette ribbon, which is what they used before the script logo and the diamond logo. Be careful cleaning the razor, these are silver plated so use silver polish and it'll shine up nicely.

Nice score!

I'm not sure, but I think the second one you've got there is a Big Fellow. I have two of them, and it looks just like mine. It is silver, and should clean up well with scrubbing bubble, followed by MAAS and a cotton shirt.

Ray, Achim and Scott,

Thanks for your advice. Without it, I would not have gone back to pick it up today. I am looking forward to cleaning these up tonight.

pjggy-
Thanks. I am pretty excited about both. I thought this was an old type. Is it single ring because of the one ring at the top of the handle (toward the blade end)? Still learning this stuff. At first I did not notice a serial #, but I just found it on the twist off shaft (is there a name for that?). It is 474103.

The latch looks similar the one in ArronX post here...(he has a pretty familiar looking pocket edition there, too)
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=475426&highlight=1904
You are porbably right that it lost its ribbon.

There are no marking on the blade boxes. They appear to be wrapped in the same material as the outside of the case.

Thanks for the cleaning tip. Not sure if I will shave with it or not, but if I do, can you soak a silver plated razor in barbasol?

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Nice score!

I'm not sure, but I think the second one you've got there is a Big Fellow. I have two of them, and it looks just like mine. It is silver, and should clean up well with scrubbing bubble, followed by MAAS and a cotton shirt.

No, the Big Fellow is longer.

These did come with this push release clasp as well as the catch type. I have several of them in my collection.

Thanks for the info. With the serial number this does look like a very early model (1906?). Wish I could find ones like it over here.

Thanks for the info. With the serial number this does look like a very early model (1906?). Wish I could find ones like it over here.

Wow. I have got to get better at posting. You guys are quick! :w00t:

Thanks for the information.

"Thanks for the cleaning tip. Not sure if I will shave with it or not, but if I do, can you soak a silver plated razor in barbasol?"

I'm not sure, I never use my antique razors for shaving so I've never sterilized them. I believe the old types dont shave very well with modern blades.

Top Bottom