What's new

How much brush “splay” when lathering?

Hello gents!

It has been a while since I last posted, but its good to be back!

I have noticed that I used to strictly face lather and have always splayed my 2 band badger hairs all over. Now, I do want to add that I do have sensitive skin.

I have noticed fewer ingrowns, pimples, etc since switching to bowl lathering with zero splay. I basically just “paint the fence” now.

I’m curious as to what you guys prefer and possibly, if anyone has linked brush splay as a potential negative factor when dealing with sensitive skin.

I have not changed soaps/creams/AS. I wonder if I could possibilly have a slight allergic reaction to either the badger bristles themselves or if my skin is just sensitive to the tips of the brush, when used in a “splay” motion.

Last edited:
Hello gents!

I have noticed that I used to strictly face lather and have always splayed my 2 band badger hairs all over. Now, I do want to add that I do have sensitive skin.

I have noticed fewer ingrowns, pimples, etc since switching to bowl lathering with zero splay. I basically just “paint the fence” now.

I’m curious as to what you guys prefer and possibly, if anyone has linked brush splay as a potential negative factor when dealing with sensitive skin.

I have not changed soaps/creams/AS. I wonder if I could possibilly have a slight allergic reaction to either the badger bristles themselves or if my skin is just sensitive to the tips of the brush, when used in a “splay” motion.
I honestly think it is just about what your skin can and can't tolerate. I face lather and swirl but I don't really splay if that makes sense. I just lightly use the brush on the face as opposed to really pushing it into my face and switch between painting and swirling as I feel like it. I've done the bowl lather and paint and gotten great results and I've done the face lather with lots of swirling and gotten great results. I will say that if my face is irritated or if I cut myself etc prior, I almost always bowl lather and paint onto my face. I also have somewhat sensitive skin and I would say that for me it doesn't matter within reason. For you, clearly bowl lathering is better if your skin is better.

I have a little brush splay, but not more than 50% or so. I paint first and them splay with circular strokes to lift the hairs and work in the soap.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Most of mine is painting strokes.

The swirling is mainly done if I'm adding water while face lathering, and it isn't melding with the soap deeper in the brush. A little bit of a swirl helps get the lather in the brush and on the face to nearer the same hydration. After that, it's back to painting.

However, that's with my usual synthetic brushes. With natural brushes, I might swirl a lot more. It depends on the brush.

Some brushes I splay like a madman, others I don't. With my boars I can't help it, it feels so good!

Lather is generated mainly from the tips of the bristles. You don't really have to splay a lot, the idea is just to agitate the lather. You can use a mix of side-to-side and circular strokes, but you don't have to apply a lot of pressure to the brush.

I tend to think ingrowns are more of a problem for the cartridge shavers. Blemishes and whatnot usually result from something blocking up the pores, like some type of oil or lotion.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I do like the consistency of the lather I get from a good bowl lather. I can still really feel the soft tips on my Simpson badger when painting as well.

I as far as I can see you are doing everything right for yourself, most important your enjoying bowl lathering . The bowl takes the brunt of the lather generating and your face gets softness of the brush with nice rich lather.
I once in a while use a soap stick and found the bowl more enjoyable for myself. Nothing worse then ingrown hairs, best way if you are prone to them is dry brush a little with a worn out tooth brush gently or a dry old boar brush. What the dry brush does is free the hair that is headed in the wrong direction as they are inward bound towards the flesh, I do a quick dry brush just before starting my main shave now, even if I do not get them hardly and it helps.
I did not think of the dry brush idea for ingrown hairs it came from a very experienced wet shaver Matic59 (I'm just passing good information along for others).
If you like to scrub with the brush I would suggest a brush that is a lot gentler on the skin> the one I use is a dedicated Yaqi Cashmere synthetic 24mm knot for Pre shave brush washing whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap , it is a excellent knot , excellent lather generator, gentle scrub + great lather painter also IMO(for sensitive skin or daily shaving needs).
Have some great shaves!

I let the brush guide me...
I splay until it feels natural and not forced for the particular brush I'm using.

If I splay further, it risks damaging the brush and causing skin irritation.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hello gents!

I too splay the hell out of my brush. I face lather and really enjoy the good scrubbing I get.

Top Bottom