What's new

How many shaves with feather blade ( shavette )

It certainly is! My standard shave entails two and a half ATG passes with that blade. In fact it is the same with a DE, SE, or a traditional straight. I like a close shave. The Pro blades are thinner and narrower, and they feel a little bit sharper to me for the first few shaves. After about shave six, both those blades feel the same to me - in the DX anyway. I have yet to try one in the SS.

It certainly is! My standard shave entails two and a half ATG passes with that blade. In fact it is the same with a DE, SE, or a traditional straight. I like a close shave. The Pro blades are thinner and narrower, and they feel a little bit sharper to me for the first few shaves. After about shave six, both those blades feel the same to me - in the DX anyway. I have yet to try one in the SS.
I was looking at this style dx. And wonder if I could get away with getting this one some how. As for the feather pro super blades, It says there thicker blades, and made for coarse hair. Something I would be interested in. Here is a pic of the dx with a lifetime warranty.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190519-112632.png
    Screenshot_20190519-112632.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 7
I also wouldn't expect more than two or three shaves, maybe even just one or one and a half. In my experience, they aren't the long lasting kind of blades.
I tend to agree with your message as I have been shaving for a couple of weeks or so, I am doing just 1 shave then toss now, any blade in that matter. I find 1 shave does an amazing job for my somewhat coarse hair, anything more for me just isn't as comfortable!

I am using feather de blades and cutting them in half, I just shaved once with feather blade today, how long should I expect it to last? I am using shaving foam mixed with water, then lather with a ch2 synthetic badger which spreads very well, the lather is thin, and I get a lot of good sound feedback with using not to much pressure if that helps.

It is common when beginning to think the blade is dull when actually it is a lack of experience using a shavette. I tossed several Feather Pro Guard blades prematurely before having the epiphany.

It is common when beginning to think the blade is dull when actually it is a lack of experience using a shavette. I tossed several Feather Pro Guard blades prematurely before having the epiphany.
I have been shaving with my shavette for about a month. I find one shave is good enough then toss. I could try for two shaves, won't bother now. As of the feather pro blades they are not the same!

I have been shaving with my shavette for about a month. I find one shave is good enough then toss. I could try for two shaves, won't bother now. As of the feather pro blades they are not the same!

I am not advocating you change your habit of tossing, but perhaps tossing your shavette and getting a folding Feather SS......IMHO, the best of the best among shavette type SR's.

I am not advocating you change your habit of tossing, but perhaps tossing your shavette and getting a folding Feather SS......IMHO, the best of the best among shavette type SR's.
I have already had that idea on my mind to buy a couple of months from now. I have not put up post about feather ss etc. How good they are, how long the blades last, I think for the ss I am looking at about $200.00 CAD. Very nice, and I do not have to worry about sharpening stones etc. Which can be a headache. The dx is just too much money for me!

I have already had that idea on my mind to buy a couple of months from now. I have not put up post about feather ss etc. How good they are, how long the blades last, I think for the ss I am looking at about $200.00 CAD. Very nice, and I do not have to worry about sharpening stones etc. Which can be a headache. The dx is just too much money for me!

The folding SS are available on eBay and Amazon in the $60 range. https://www.amazon.com/Feather-Fold...8&s=gateway&sprefix=feather+ss,aps,165&sr=8-4

I have a Feather SS and am on shave 15 or so with a ProGuard blade. Still going. Rotating with my other straights at home and using it when I travel, the 2 packs of blades i have will last me a very long time.
I think the Feather SS is near the pinnacle of razors. The blades are laser sharp and for me last longer than any blade I tried in my DE razors.

Yes it seems I would save quite a bit this way. Still have to pay import fees etc. Still saves money, quite a bit about $70 on the razor. I will have to see a month or two down the road. I still will need questions that need answering before jumping!

Yes it seems I would save quite a bit this way. Still have to pay import fees etc. Still saves money, quite a bit about $70 on the razor. I will have to see a month or two down the road. I still will need questions that need answering before jumping!
Yes, $70 is nothing to sneeze at for me as well. That said, if you are serious about using a SR concept, it's an economical decision over time. Some can be imported from Japan on eBay, BTW.

Yes, $70 is nothing to sneeze at for me as well. That said, if you are serious about using a SR concept, it's an economical decision over time. Some can be imported from Japan on eBay, BTW.
Yes can also be bought from Japan on eBay. I think buying on Amazon will be cheaper. It includes taxes and import fees. $111.00 CAD! On eBay a little cheaper, although does not include taxes import fees etc. And that will be stopped by customs for sure, and I will get hit with fees when it arrives, as well as could take up to 2 months to arrive! So I save money, and time!

Yes can also be bought from Japan on eBay. I think buying on Amazon will be cheaper. It includes taxes and import fees. $111.00 CAD! On eBay a little cheaper, although does not include taxes import fees etc. And that will be stopped by customs for sure, and I will get hit with fees when it arrives, as well as could take up to 2 months to arrive! So I save money, and time!
I don't think we Americans realize what an advantage we have when making purchases.

I don't think we Americans realize what an advantage we have when making purchases.
I am switching today from my usual feather blade to a GSB blade, see how well it shaves. I have USA branded blades too that I enjoy! I forget what country manufactured them, my thoughts say Russia, not 100 percent on that, either way I do enjoy Gillette blades, super sharp as well. In my experience!

I am switching today from my usual feather blade to a GSB blade, see how well it shaves. I have USA branded blades too that I enjoy! I forget what country manufactured them, my thoughts say Russia, not 100 percent on that, either way I do enjoy Gillette blades, super sharp as well. In my experience!
Just as I thought a wonderful shave with the GSB blade! Now the toss away and use a fresh blade in my shavette. I still wonder if I should try to go atg next time and see if I can make one blade work. Try to get that bbs!

GR100B CJB Straight Kamisori Razor Similar to Feather artist club single edge | eBay

These razors get excellent reviews... They are clone of the Feather Artist Club SS style.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Oh it's not about money!
I was meaning to test the water so that it is not a waste of money down the line. [emoji41]

It's rubbish to lay out the dough, only to find out that you don't like it after all.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom