What's new

How many shaves out of a Dorco ST-301 Blade?

So the question is, how many shaves can you get out of a Dorco ST 301 blade before disposal? Well.. I sort of know the answer, at least for my experience. ZERO! What a terrible shave that was with a brand new blade. I am glade that I never just ended up with them to begin with. If I did I think I would have given up on DE razors. It tugged and pulled right out of the wrap. It did give more sound tho, almost like it was cutting more at once then other blades.. That sound of buttering toast was very loud. Loudest out of the three blades I have tried thus far, which are the Merkur, Derby and Dorco. So far the Dorco's are dead last and I am not even sure I will try them again.. Time to try another brand. Glad I took the recommendation for samples. This is proving to be very useful information to know in order to enjoy my shaving experience forever more.

It is indeed surprising how much difference there is from one blade to the other. I have a sample pack of Dorco, haven't tried it yet.

I did try Derbys and Merkurs. Both were OK, but did not impress me. My favorites so far are Feathers and Astra Platinum. That's the two brands I currently use, while sampling a new one once in a while.

A lot of people like Dorco, but I had no luck---ditched it after about 3 strokes of pulling and tugging!

Derbys are good, I'd suggest giving Astra Platinum a try, too.

I have Merkur, Derby, Dorco, Precision, Astra and Feathers to try. So far I have only made it through the first three names.. I should have used the Derbys just before the Astras. Then I would have worked my way up in quality. Maybe should have started with the Dorco, Precision, Merkur, Derby, Astra and then Feather.

In anycase.. So far I am not liking the Dorcos and have a feeling the precision may be the same based on price, packaging and gut feeling.

I will say that since this blade tugs and pulls more I do believe that it may be good for my technique. Since it has potential to rip my face apart I am going slower and using less pressure. I think if I was to use this blade for awhile, once I switched to a better blade it would be a dream. Maybe I will use this blades as one shave blades and then dispose of them.. Maybe zero is not the answer. I do know that other then helping with technique, I am not really a fan tho. Much perfer the derbys at this point in testing. Look forward to the astra and feathers in the end of the first testing round.

Those 301's actually did a few strokes without too much trouble; I needed 4 blades to get through one shave with a semi-passable result. About the most expensive shave of my life!! :frown:

The 301s are one of my favorite blades. I usually get three or four days out of them - sometimes as many as five. These blades have a reputation for having a slightly harsher first shave that settles down for subsequent shaves and that's my experience, too. It may be that the blade coating has to wear a little to break the blade in...

I get about 3 from my Dorcos, don't get much from Derbys though. Different faces, different blades of course. YMMV

R

rainman

To the OP. I'd put the Dorcos first place out of the ones you tried.

I got 3 good shaves out of one. Personally I don't think they are as bad as some make out to be- but YMMV.

I get 3 shaves out of them. They only work for me in a vintage Merkur and the shaves are DFS, not BBS. I use them because the combination is the most comfortable, easiest on my face and safest when I'm in a rush.

- Peter

I haven't used the 301's just the 300's which depending on your views are the same blade, or different....

I only did 1 shave per blade, I could literally feel the edge dull after each pass....

Your mileage may vary (YMMV) certainly is true in this case. I am glad that I bought a sample pack and got to try them. I still have 9 left and maybe I will give them another go. Before I tossed the blade for another brand, I did give it a few passes on my cheeks for the next day shave and it did seem a little better, but still not performing as a good blade for me.

I should note that I tried these blades in an Merkur HD safety razor. I am unsure if the razor makes a difference as I don't have another to compare, but it may. Probably doesn't make as much difference as skin type and hair type.

If I do try these blades again, I will update this thread as to how the experience was. This way you can see if I am consistent or not :)

Have a good one and thanks for all the replies.. Great to see how each person opinion varies depending on their hair/skin situation and methods.

Top Bottom