What's new

How many shaves do you get out of a Derby?

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I've been getting a lot of shaves from a Derby I have in RazoRock DE-1. Shaves are effortless, clean, and smooth. I haven't been shaving everyday, but I know I've been getting a lot shave out of this one blade. I put a nice size piece of Alvarez Gomez cream in a shaving scuttle with a good amount of water and lathered it up. I did not get one knick while shaving.

Usually get 5-6 shaves before I bin it. Smooth and reliable. Could probably do more but why push my luck.

8 to 15 depending on razor, shave cream and how close I want to be shaved, talking Derby Extra here. I change out a blade when the shave leaves stubble or tugs around my chin. Given the price per blade, they are an amazingly low cost per shave for a close comfortable shave. I like their other, sharper versions also, Prime, USTA also. They are also nicely priced.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Derby's and I don't get along. I don't know why. Maybe I will commit to a 3 shave experiment?

I tend to get at least a week from most blades I like and Derby is no exception ( if we are discussing USTAs and Premiums ). I haven't used an Extra lately ( but I did 10 years ago when I first started shaving ) and I don't remember it being any less.

I suspect I have easier to shave whiskers on the whole so take my numbers with that in mind.

I consistently get 10+ shaves from Derby Premium blades, they just keep giving me smooth comfortable shaves.

Derby USTA blades are similar for me but seem to average around 8-10 comfortable shaves.

Derby Extra blades seem to last for around 4 - 6 shaves and are not quite as sharp or comfortable for me as the Derby Premium or Derby USTA.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I tend to get at least a week from most blades I like and Derby is no exception ( if we are discussing USTAs and Premiums ). I haven't used an Extra lately ( but I did 10 years ago when I first started shaving ) and I don't remember it being any less.

I suspect I have easier to shave whiskers on the whole so take my numbers with that in mind.
Could be your whiskers. Or not? My whiskers multiple personality disorder. I can't make heads nor tails out of what blades they decide to fall for.

I consistently get 10+ shaves from Derby Premium blades, they just keep giving me smooth comfortable shaves.

Derby USTA blades are similar for me but seem to average around 8-10 comfortable shaves.

Derby Extra blades seem to last for around 4 - 6 shaves and are not quite as sharp or comfortable for me as the Derby Premium or Derby USTA.
Those Premiums are high up on my 'non-dramatic' list. They just provide smooth effortless shaves. I like the USTAs but I have to keep a slightly closer eye on them.

I’ve tried Derby Premium and Derby Professional half DE blades in the last few months. Didn’t like them at all - both had a very rough ‘gritty’ feel to them.

Could be your whiskers. Or not? My whiskers multiple personality disorder. I can't make heads nor tails out of what blades they decide to fall for.
I used to use a Mach 3 cartridge for months ( usually only tossing them when they started to discolor ). Some of it may be while my hair is easy to shave I also suspect I just have forgiving skin. I shaved in the shower for years with no foam or gel. Just let the shower spray my face while I removed whiskers.

So if you guys ever see me complain about a shave pay attention :)

8 or so on a pre-2016 Extra, maybe double that for Premiums and Ustas. after a week or two, I tend to switch blades out of boredom.

Lol, six on the first one, felt like I had to use both hands to drag it through my beard. Since I put one in a German Bakelite slant, I expect around 50 as I got 25 on the first edge.

Not one of my favorite blades, but they do a good job of removing the stubble.

Top Bottom