What's new

How many shaves do you get from a blade?

About a week's worth (5-6 days; three-pass shaves). There is a spot on my right cheek where I can feel the sharpness decline after day 3 - i.e., I can feel the stubble after I've shaved it XTG on day 3 vs no stubble on days 1 and 2.

I use very light pressure and do a 3 pass plus a FORTH very light glide over entire face with a wet thin lather. The last pass really makes the difference under my neck.
I usually change my blade weekly. But using a Nacet out of GC .84 PC got 10 days with no degradation of the blade . Binned it anyway after that .

I keep using the blade until it starts to tug or catch on the hairs. The quantity of shaves per blade varies.

Everyone's results will be different due to all the variables in hair vs. blade type.

Five or six, 3-pass shaves from all of the blades I use. I figure that is one blade per week, shaving every day and skipping a day.

I shave every other day, so one blade goes 10-12 days.

Schick Proline behält 30 Rasuren bei mir, bleibt also einen Monat im General.
Bei DE-Klingen meist 4-5 Rasuren, dann wechseln. Ich warte nicht, bis es zieht. Aber sie kosten einfach zu wenig, um zu Tode zu reiten.

Highly dependent on the blade, for the Lord Platinum, possibly my absolute favorite blade (so smooth, yet sharp), 5-6 shaves maximum, before it struggles to provide a close shave, but does those shaves oh so comfy. Western Wall, Crystal Super+, or Personna Red (Israeli) blades, last the longest, and I've made it up into the 20-30 shave range on a blade. - All three feel the same, are all made in the same factory, and I'd venture they're basically the same blade. Of course Personna moved the 'Red' manufacturing to Germany a year or so back, and sadly those are NOT in the same league as the old Israeli made blades, at least not to my face, just don't like them.

Other blades run the gambit somewhere in between those two blades, Feathers are maybe 5 shaves and dull as a butter knife, Rapira Platinum Lux blades maybe a dozen, razor dependent, as are Pol-Silver SI. (I no longer use the Astra blades, and have Wilkinson Sword that while last into the teens, just aren't my favorite blade in my preferred razors, particularly on the first couple of shaves).

My magic number is 3 times with 3 passes each time. I can get 4 out of Nacets and Astras. Feather with me, 4 times is pushing it.

I usually go a week, more or less. I do a daily two pass shave on roughly 2/3 of my face, leaving the upper lip and chin to grow. I often find the blade gets smoother after the first 2-3 shaves and gives me a better shave.

I keep using the blade until it starts to tug or catch on the hairs. The quantity of shaves per blade varies.
Me, too. Which is why I was surprised that, on the 4th use of my Astra SP in my new "Lupo .95 SB", I noticed a tug. I usually get 5 shaves out of the same Astra SP blades with my GC 84-P. The blade was put in the "Bank" after this last shave.

It's why I wonder if the wider blade gap and blade exposure of the "Lupo .95" has anything to do with the longevity of the blade?

b/r

ON_1

Me, too. Which is why I was surprised that, on the 4th use of my Astra SP in my new "Lupo .95 SB", I noticed a tug. I usually get 5 shaves out of the same Astra SP blades with my GC 84-P. The blade was put in the "Bank" after this last shave.

It's why I wonder if the wider blade gap and blade exposure of the "Lupo .95" has anything to do with the longevity of the blade?

b/r

ON_1
I recently posted simlar question on the DE blade area. When I use aggressive razors I only get 4 shaves out of a blade that would normally go 6 shaves.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I aim for seven days worth of shaves from each blade. Three pass shaves each time. Some blades do this relatively easily and some can feel done after 4 to 5 shaves. I start Monday with a new blade and the last shave is on Sunday.

My tendency is to do a 2-3 pass shave, depending on blade choice.

I bin mine between 4-6 shaves usually, some less..some more. Again, highly blade-dependant.

The only exceptions to the above would be a few scattered long-term experiments, each somehwere around 40-50 shaves.

Before you ask...because I felt like it. 😝

And if that sounds like a lot..well, you should chat with the 'Excalibur' folks.

One and done for me. I’ve heard all the arguments for using a blade multiple times and understand them. I have tried it several times and for me there is nothing that beats starting every shave with a fresh blade.
I live in a state that charges a dime for each shopping bag. I always get a laugh when I see people picking up there loose groceries in the parking lot because they saved a dime.

I usually run a blade 2 times, maybe 3 once in a while but it's never great.

Feathers are 2 day max, 2nd day is better than day 1.

15+ from Gem PTFE glass scraper blades in my Superman SE.

Last edited:
I do 4 passes daily (W/X/A/A).
I use only BIC and Wizamet blades.

If I use tap water to rinse the blade, I get 2 shaves before it feels tuggy (our water hardness is around 800-1000 PPM).

However, I use soft water and tap water doesn't ever come in contact with my razor/blade.

Due to this, I get 5 shaves per blade.
The decline is also very linear so I could get more shaves per blade, but I change it out after 5.

lasta

Blade Biter
Back when I was a stable 1 razor, 1 blade, 1 soap guy, I'd do 7 2.5 pass shaves per blade and change on Sundays.

N-S, S-N, touch up ATG.

Nowadays, it could be anything from 1-11. I don't remember the last time I took anything past 11.

I have a strong preference for Feather blades over any others I have tried, but I generally only use them for two shaves - about two passes each - and then switch to a new one. I also appreciate that blades are fairly inexpensive, so I don't mind tossing them.

@nav ...I was not aware the 'hard or soft' water had any affect on a razor blade. That's interesting. Does it corrode the fine edge prematurely? Is there a chemical process dulling the blade?

b/r

ON_1

Top Bottom