What's new

How many razors do you have?

So I am now a little over 6 months into the straight razor lifestyle. I have 5 razors with 4 of these in a daily rotation. One is used periodically. I don’t know if this is a lot or a little. In theory I could get by with just one razor - but my gut feeling says I could benefit from 2 more. (My gut is also a good source in deciding if I need more stones and less money.)

For those on the sub, how many razors do you have, and how many of those are in rotational use?

Legion

Staff member
I'll move this to the general SR area in a bit....

I'm not sure how many I actually own. But I only keep one or two out of the storage containers for regular use. And sometimes there might be an extra one I am restoring or honing, but that will go into a box once I get it dialled in.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
After almost three years of SR shaving, I am down to only 38. At the end of my first years I was up to 67 (that included 5 matching seven-day sets).

Of my current 38, 31 are in current rotation, 3 are in Dopp bags for travel and the other four are being PIFed. I also have one more now winging its way to me.

SR shaving to me is not a hobby, it's an addiction. I am trying to keep my SR stable to a reasonable number.

Got 15 or so razors. 5 are nice ones/gifts I don't use. The other 10 are ones I normally shave with. Try to get a bit of everything to control the RAD then a couple extras of your favorites. If I had to suggest some razors everyone to have I would say the following.

-7/8 or 8/8 new production razor -can be custom or not depending on your taste.

-5/8 or 6/8 new production razor -same criteria as above

- a good vintage Swedish razor, German razor, japanese, and English blade -if you know your preference of razor size aim for that

-2 or 3 test razors , good shavers from a brand you like. Used mostly for taking care of the honing/testing itch without feeling bad of adding hone wear.

As you find your favorites add more of those of course! I like Swedish blades so my extra razors are those. However whenever I have that itch for a new razor I probably have something close I can shave with the stop the itch.

6/8 modern T.I. Le Grelot, 7/8th modern T.I. spec'd by Portland Razors, Koraat basic II 8/8th near wedge, Gold dollar honing beater, 6/8th Ralf Aust

I probably use the Ralf Aust the least. Not that it's a bad razor, I just don't reach for it much. Still going to hold onto it.
Lately the new Koraat has been stealing the show.

So I'd say, realistically I have 3 in active rotation that get used regularly. Possibly 1 if the Koraat continues to steal the show, which is a distinct possibility.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I don't feel so bad after reading this thread. I only have three and am pondering a 4th, but don't want more than five. I thought I was being a bit overboard. I see I'm not even in the same league.
Every gentleman of even modest means should have at least a matching seven-day set.

IMG_20210801_205938.jpg

I currently have six. I will only allow one more before I have to PIF or sell one. I don't use a SR every day, typically just on weekends. I figure if I have one for every day of the week it is more than enough.

Top Bottom