What's new

How many razors do you have?

In 4 years I've managed to limit myself to 9 vintage straights, a new 5/8 Ralf Aust, and a couple of test/practice razors. I only shave three times a week but they all want my attention....ordered new scales for the 77 Herder & Sohn 5/8 Full Hallow= one more!

Between 40-45 or around that. The inventory varies. I have/had some genuine treasures for sale but was not able to list them here and other shave venues are not all that functional.
May list a few in the upcoming months. We shall see.
Here are a few of the stable. Some have already moved on. Others have taken their places.
78AE835D-394E-4846-A1B4-4B8954E15798.jpeg

Attachments

• FD97893A-D189-42E0-A3D8-58EE0FB7ED02.jpeg
    FD97893A-D189-42E0-A3D8-58EE0FB7ED02.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • D7A917B6-3B47-43F0-AE3A-5EBF42A4337B.jpeg
    D7A917B6-3B47-43F0-AE3A-5EBF42A4337B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • 1256DB7C-BD25-47F1-8D40-B176F40ADB43.jpeg
    1256DB7C-BD25-47F1-8D40-B176F40ADB43.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
I have 15 total:
- 11 TI's (8 of which I had custom made by TI and ordered earlier this year), still haven't used them yet, my OCD has me afraid to use them since they are nice, lol. I'm looking to sell one of the new ones since TI made an error (I ordered a French nose but they sent me a round nose, they later sent me a French nose in the specs I ordered, so I have an extra (two of the same razor I ordered)). A two-day set of 7/8s and a seven day set of assorted 6/8 and 5/8 TI's with each day of the week having its own theme with a different color scales, stamping, some with spine work, round/French point, etc.
- 2 Sheffield razors (a Wade and Butcher arrow razor made in the late W&B era, and a Frederick Reynolds in Pua/Abalone shell that I will be looking to sell off)
- 1 Wadsworth square point made in Solingen, Germany that I will be looking to sell off.
- 1 Gold Dollar beater that I use to test hones or practice honing but never shave with.

So I am now a little over 6 months into the straight razor lifestyle. I have 5 razors with 4 of these in a daily rotation. One is used periodically. I don’t know if this is a lot or a little. In theory I could get by with just one razor - but my gut feeling says I could benefit from 2 more. (My gut is also a good source in deciding if I need more stones and less money.)

For those on the sub, how many razors do you have, and how many of those are in rotational use?
Maybe 12 DE razors (mostly vintage Gillettes), 6 vintage SE (all ASR/GEM) and 6 injectors (all vintage Schick except 1 PAL). I'm a user and secondarily a collector. During the last year, I have let my DEs rest and now use exclusively GEMs and Schicks. A GEM shaves very close to a straight razor, but without the scariness (to me). Much prefer the rigid feel of SEs and their blades over the wobbliness of DEs and their blades.

Maybe 12 DE razors (mostly vintage Gillettes), 6 vintage SE (all ASR/GEM) and 6 injectors (all vintage Schick except 1 PAL). I'm a user and secondarily a collector. During the last year, I have let my DEs rest and now use exclusively GEMs and Schicks. A GEM shaves very close to a straight razor, but without the scariness (to me). Much prefer the rigid feel of SEs and their blades over the wobbliness of DEs and their blades.
But how many straight razors? :p

I've only been using Straights for a month and already have bought:
1 Ralf Aust 6/8 full hollow
2 Thiers Issard Le Grelot 6/8 full hollow,
3 James Arman 6/8 near wedge,
4 Ertan Süer Mon fire destier 6/8 full hollow,
5 J A Henckels restored,
6 Union restored,
7 Wostenholm rattler restored,
8 Wade and Butcher 6/8

And now add 20 more that just bought as a lot for me to restore/clean and hone up🤪🤪🤪

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
5 J A Henckels restored,
6 Union restored,
8 Wade and Butcher 6/8

And now add 20 more that just bought as a lot for me to restore/clean and hone up🤪🤪🤪
That's a nice little start.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
None. After I heard that the British call straight razors "cutthroat" razors, I got too scared to use them. Seriously, the honing and stropping necessary to keep a real straight razor (as opposed to a shavette) sharp seem like too much work.
Yes, about 1 minute of stropping before a shave and about 2 minutes of balsa stropping after each shave (never needs honing again) can be too much work for some.

Instead of the basla stropping you can forego that and spend about 15 to 20 minutes once every few months refreshing the edge on a whetstone. Me, I prefer a fresh balsa stropped edge for every shave.

5 J A Henckels restored,
6 Union restored,
8 Wade and Butcher 6/8

Carefull, it's a disease for which there is no known cure...:thumbup1:

None. After I heard that the British call straight razors "cutthroat" razors, I got too scared to use them. Seriously, the honing and stropping necessary to keep a real straight razor (as opposed to a shavette) sharp seem like too much work.
Yes, the maintenance of straight razors is a requirement. It's easier to switch blades when they get dull. I asked a friend how he knows when to switch to a new blade. He said he switches out the old blade when he gets cut.

Top Bottom