What's new

How many razors do you have?

Eight, with a ninth on order. I'm wary of getting into double figures, so will probably adopt a "one in, one out" policy*. I'm happy with a smaller rotation that means each razor gets a run at least once a fortnight.

* Unless I spot something really special that I just can't say no to... :p

I don't feel so bad after reading this thread. I only have three and am pondering a 4th, but don't want more than five. I thought I was being a bit overboard. I see I'm not even in the same league.
I've got 12 in my rotation with a total around 30-35.

Thing is, they were all very cheap, and the driver was always either:

- cheap junk to work on, practice, learn restoration etc

- addition to my theme set (historical etches - presidents, battle ships, world's fairs, just received a genco improved eagle, etc)

We all only need 2 - a spare for when the other goes to the stones, but variety is helpful for learning about restoration techniques, and different straight razor traits you like (think I love the square point most). Also variety is nice because sometimes I want to use my little 4/8th to do a quick nimble shave, not worrying over closeness - and sometimes I want to use the 7/8th to really take my time and get the closest shave.

I don't need as many as I have, and haven't hit the stones with a number of them, but restoring them is a hobby and I have a backlog of interesting pieces to take to the stones when I want to.

Most in my rotation are my theme set, a few I just thought were beautiful and restored amazingly. The others need a refresh or haven't been to the stones yet.

Eehhh most have me beat. I think I have about 15-18 useable razors. Maybe 1 or 2 more. I have 6-8 various broken or failure razors. One of my best fell victim to a darn cat knocking it off onto a tile floor. At least a couple or threee were ruined by me during cleanup and restoration. One left it's useful life on earth via woman's scorn (soon to be ex wife slammed it on the sink). So yeah I have a few. I want more though.

I've got 5 in rotation, plus one that needs new scales and another that needs a heel correction and honing. So that's 7 razors I could shave with, and I also have 4 junkers that are too far gone to do anything with. I'll use them for restoration practice one day.

I've got 5 in rotation, plus one that needs new scales and another that needs a heel correction and honing. So that's 7 razors I could shave with, and I also have 4 junkers that are too far gone to do anything with. I'll use them for restoration practice one day.
Cannibalize the scales from the junkers - I've put good scales on good blades thrice this way

Cannibalize the scales from the junkers - I've put good scales on good blades thrice this way
I need (ok, want) nicer scales than what my junkers have... plus I've never rescaled a razor so need to practice that before I try it on a good razor. I already made the mistake of learning to hone on a nice razor (hello honewear!) so I'm not going to repeat that with rescaling 🤣

How do you safely remove the scales without breaking them? Those pins are usually very tight.
People talk about careful drilling and filing and things, but honestly I've found it quite simple with flush cutters - all you need to do is get enough grip with them to deform the pin until the washer comes off. Then just jigger at the pin and scales, butter knife between them to pry them a little when the pin starts loosening in the scales.

If the pin puts a small scratch on the scales by the hole, it's usually covered up by the new washer when I repin. I've found it pretty easy honestly just with flush cutters and some jiggering. Use eye protection and/or hold a solo cup over the flush cutters when you do - I have had washers shoot off when the flush cutters squeeze on them. I've removed more than I've reused like this, but the ones I tried to reuse I had no difficulty in *not* scratching up the scales.

Eehhh most have me beat. I think I have about 15-18 useable razors. Maybe 1 or 2 more. I have 6-8 various broken or failure razors. One of my best fell victim to a darn cat knocking it off onto a tile floor. At least a couple or threee were ruined by me during cleanup and restoration. One left it's useful life on earth via woman's scorn (soon to be ex wife slammed it on the sink). So yeah I have a few. I want more though.
She sure knew where to hurt you 😱

Eight, with a ninth on order. I'm wary of getting into double figures, so will probably adopt a "one in, one out" policy*. I'm happy with a smaller rotation that means each razor gets a run at least once a fortnight.

* Unless I spot something really special that I just can't say no to... :p
You'll get to double figures, me think.

There's a lot of ways to remove pins. Which one you choose should depend on a lot of factors: how brittle the scale material is, how much the pin is mushroomed, how much it sticks out, if it has collars, to what degree the pin is bent, etc. There's a lot of discussion in the restoration subforum.

Top Bottom