What's new

How many of you have both a thin and thick Old Type?

Thank you. I just picked them up over the past few months and haven't gotten to try them. How do they shave compared to a 1932 Goodwill? I wanted to like it, but found it too aggressive for my taste. maybe I should have tried longer.

None of those you refer to are very aggressive, especially compared to many modern razors, you'll have to try them and see how they work for you.

the Old Type designation did not exist until 1921 when Gillette started marketing the New Improved. They then dropped the price of the old style razors and started calling them "Old Type".

That is correct, but they referred to all of them, 1903-1928 as the "OLD type".

Last edited:
Gillette NEW and OLD

1. Old Type (1903 - 1928/29) – Old razors had baseplate and top plate that were smoothly curved. Earlier models had a long stud that screwed into the knob of the razor handle and later models had a short stud that screwed into the top of the handle. These were open comb razors with short and long combs.

Double rings were first. Stopped in c. 1906 after introduction of Single ring.

Single rings were made from 1906 to 1921. The Old Type Single Ring razor comes in many models. The way to tell them apart is by the case design not the actual razor since the razor almost all look the same to some degree. From 1907 to 1929 they all looked somewhat identical. The cases (i.e. sets) were the only distinguishing features as an indicator. Some of the set names were Standard, Combination, Pocket Editions, etc. Both Double Ring and Single Ring have tube handles. There are also Old ball end handles and ABC handles. Standard refers to a set and not a specific razor, and all Standard Sets after 1906 and before 1921 had Single Rings.

# 102 has a thinner cap/head and #102a (beginning 1921) has a thicker cap.

Single rings have the serial number on the shaft of the knob that runs inside the handle to the cap. Standard old types have the serial number on the combed blade base.

The first 25,000 razors produced had no serial numbers, but "Pat" appl for” notation and they were the Double Ring style. The first serial numbers were on the opening knob barrel and then moved to the razor head. My 1908 has SN on the barrel my 1918 on the head (not sure change date).

Serial numbers were discontinued in August 1921 but I think the razor should still have some type of "Pat" number reference. Also the "Pat" number on the lower handle changed then to Jan 13, 1920 from November 5, 1904. Also the caps after 21 are the 102A style which are thicker.

I don't want to get into a pissing contest. Old Type sets existed only from 1921. Folks can call a 1904 Double Ring an Old Type if they want but it's nothing to do with what Gillette called them, and doing so makes a mess of how to refer to the 1921-29 issues which Gillette DID refer to as Old Type. Anyway, carry on.

Last edited:
OLD type is the head design.

OLD TYPE 1903 - 1921*
Open comb, curved head with stabilizer pins.
1) Double Ring: 1903-1906, Pat. 1904
2) Single Ring: 1906 - 1920
3) Pocket Edition (various handles/cases): 1909 - 1914
4) Khaki: 1917-1920 5) Brownie (no serial on guard): 1921
*Redesigned Brownie (thicker cap): 1930

Other models include Aristocrat (1910), Bulldog (1914), Milady Decollette (1915) and Big Fellow (1919).

Old Type sets existed only from 1921. Folks can call a 1904 Double Ring an Old Type if they want but it's nothing to do with what Gillette called them, and doing so makes a mess of how to refer to the 1921-29 issues which Gillette DID refer to as Old Type.
In 1977, I went to see a movie called Star Wars. Later on, they renamed the movie to Star Wars: Episode 4: A New Hope. Did I see Episode 4 in 1977? Of course I did.

Just the fact that Gillette only officially named that family of razors the OLD Type in 1921 doesn't change the fact that the older ones are still the same razor.

In 1977, I went to see a movie called Star Wars. Later on, they renamed the movie to Star Wars: Episode 4: A New Hope. Did I see Episode 4 in 1977? Of course I did.

Just the fact that Gillette only officially named that family of razors the OLD Type in 1921 doesn't change the fact that the older ones are still the same razor.
The Old Type designation came with the introduction of the 102A and the thick cap, and no serial on the gap guard, all of which distinguished the post 1921 Old Type from the 1906-21 Single Ring. I'm not aware of prior thin cap production being marketed as Old Type razors. That they are different razors is why I thought we were having this grudge match.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The Old Type designation came with the introduction of the 102A and the thick cap, and no serial on the gap guard, all of which distinguished the post 1921 Old Type from the 1906-21 Single Ring. I'm not aware of prior thin cap production being marketed as Old Type razors. That they are different razors is why I thought we were having this grudge match.

They weren't called "OLD TYPE" until they actually became the old type. When they began making the New Improved the previously used design became the old type. They obviously wouldn't call the new (at the time) razor from Gillette "OLD" during the time they were making it, only after it got replaced by a new design.

They weren't called "OLD TYPE" until they actually became the old type. When they began making the New Improved the previously used design became the old type. They obviously wouldn't call the new (at the time) razor from Gillette "OLD" during the time they were making it, only after it got replaced by a new design.
In creating the Old Type moniker they were referring to the new production of $1 razors in the old style which continued after the New Improved was introduced in 1921, they weren't retroactively renaming a 1905 double Ring an Old Type razor. And the 1921-28 production Old Type wasn't exactly the same design because they changed the cap. But you know what, it ain't that important. I give up.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I have both plus. There are also visible variations in base plate thickness. I have the following variations:

Early single ring with a base plate 1,54mm thick and a top cap 1.65mm thick.
Late Single ring with a base plate 1.54mm and a top cap 2.02mm at the thickest.
Single ring with 1.60mm base plate and very thin top cap, 1.38mm.
3 piece old with a base plate 1.86mm thick and a top cap 2.02mm at the thickest.
First year curved base plate Big Fellow with a 2.39mm base plate thickness and a top cap 1.58mm, second thinnest of all checked.

No idea of factory tolerances when the Old razors were built but you can see the variations in my limited sample. All dimensions checked with a plastic 6" digital calipers.

Rich Wood

I have both plus. There are also visible variations in base plate thickness. I have the following variations:

Early single ring with a base plate 1,54mm thick and a top cap 1.65mm thick.
Late Single ring with a base plate 1.54mm and a top cap 2.02mm at the thickest.
Single ring with 1.60mm base plate and very thin top cap, 1.38mm.
3 piece old with a base plate 1.86mm thick and a top cap 2.02mm at the thickest.
First year curved base plate Big Fellow with a 2.39mm base plate thickness and a top cap 1.58mm, second thinnest of all checked.

No idea of factory tolerances when the Old razors were built but you can see the variations in my limited sample. All dimensions checked with a plastic 6" digital calipers.

Rich Wood

We're going to have some fun with these ones!
Grudge Match: Old vs Old; Thin vs Thick

Hi,

Well, those dimensions are all over the place. No wonder why some folks think Gillette got it right the first time, and others just say 'what?' in response to that statement.....

Stan

Top Bottom