What's new

How many have 'made the leap?'

I haven't made the leap. Straights are my blade of choice, but I use an GEM SE or a slant for quick shaves, and sometimes other DE's for a bit longer but still quick shave.

Out of curiosity, I shave every third time with a non straight implement and will continue to do so until I have satisfactorily experienced the major DEs and SEs. Since I started honing I have been asking myself why I use anything else than straights however when I have failed to get a satisfactory edge on a razor I am too lazy to haul out another and strop it up so I usually finish with an SE or DE on such occasions. I am quite sure that one day it will be straights only.

I started full-time wet shaving end of 2009, with a single DE (Merkur Futur). I also had a Dovo straight, new, not shave ready.
I attempted to go straight twice between that time and now, but couldn't see it working for me.
I kept acquiring DEs, shave creams, soaps, balms.

Two months ago I woke up one day and said to myself: "...it is an excuse that you can't do it - just go out there and don't hesitate..."
I read the forums, watched the videos, bought a strop and a couple of straights to start with and then went for it.

During the first 10 days I would shave alternate, one day DE shave, one day straight shave. Straight shaves would give me moderately 'clean' results but my skin would really hurt all day, mainly from the unnecessary pressure and the poor angle. On the other hand, my DE shaves improved dramatically (exactly because my technique had to try go up in the meantime due to using a straight). I started to use my left hand as well, and the results were very good.

I still had to force myself sometimes in order to avoid going the 'easy' way and pick up the DE. The more I did that, and the more straight shaves I was completing, the less I wanted to go back to the DE. Straight shaves slowly started to give me cleaner and cleaner results, with two passes. Next step was to attempt XTG with the straight, success here as well. At the same time, in an effort to focus better and improve the technique consistently, I selected and put aside three straight razors from the collection I had already started to build up. I would only rotate these three till my shave and strop technique improved.

Right now, as I write these lines, I have 49 straights, I shave with a DE 2-3 times a month (just to enjoy a few razors from the collection which I had still never used), the straight shaves I get are highly rewarding, irritation and redness are a thing of the past. I'm not there yet by any means, but now I have control to the point where I can quickly identify mistakes and areas where improvement is needed. Experimentation with different grinds, shaving technique improvement and honing are next.

Straight razor shaving is an experience at a whole new and different (upper) level. It bears no resemblance whatsoever with any other technique. I am glad I gave it a go and persevered.

I started with straights 15 mo.s ago and had the luxury of being on semi retired status allowing me the time to focus on using them every day for basically as long as it took to complete my shave. In that time I have used a DE less than a hand full of times. Interestingly I figured i had it to where it was as good as it gets up until the 1 year mark, but in the last 3 mo.s I have had a very satisfying jump in the skill set i was not really expecting and have a renewed enthusiasm, I will continue to have the faith that still better lays ahead.

Ian

Sometime in the near future I will start my straight journey. I placed the order for my first (minimalist) set up and can't wait for my answer to be "today".

Just curious...Beginning ~Jan of this year, I have shaved with straights exclusively. Nowadays, I am using a straight ~6 days a week after starting this new job, and it's been enjoyable every single day. No irritation, no sensitive skin - just good. More and more levels of subtlety coming through all the time. Doubt I can go back.

How 'bout y'all?

I want to but can't. I need to cut down the irritation, improve the results, and cut the amount of time it takes. I can get a BBS shave with a safety razor but really want to achieve this with a straight.

I'd like to think I'm closing the gap. I have improved my shaves and have identified razors and types of razors that are better suited for my face. I shaved 3 out of 4 times this work week with straights. When I do get a BBS shave with a safety razor like this morning, I try to identify how I achieved it and try to apply it to straight shaving. I'm becoming more agile with my movements but still can't always maneuver the razor where I want it all the time. One thing that has been real helpful is that I am able to hone my own razors and check the results with a small 100x microscope.

Hopefully paydirt isn't too far away. I've been trying for over a year, so I am definitely a slow learner. That's OK as long as I eventually get it.

I think I just got "there".

Last week I got up late for work. In need of a shave, I still went through my Str8 routine, though I didn't even think of "chasing the unicorn". Just a N-S pass and a E-W pass and let it go at that. SAS is plenty good enough for work.

I think the routine and muscle memory are set for straights now - I would probably hurt myself if I tried the carts again.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm still in transition, having less than a dozen straight shaves under my belt. These are still only partial straight shaves, requiring finishing with a safety razor, usually one of my Injectors. I aspire to a more or less complete transition, but I will probably occasionally relapse into using a safety when convenience demands. I can't see dumping my collection of DEs, SEs, and Injectors any time soon, I enjoy collecting and displaying them in my shave den too much.

I started in Nov. 2010, so about 9 months now. I used a DE a couple times recently just to compare, and I enjoy the straight razor shave so much more. I have worked on cleaning some razors up, and do my own honing by coticule now as well.

I really enjoy it.

certain weeks. i am totally all about straights, but when i get run down and feel tired or sick, or just want to try something else, i use the cobra or slant.. it's a nice change once in a while...

...Since I started honing I have been asking myself why I use anything else than straights however when I have failed to get a satisfactory edge on a razor I am too lazy to haul out another and strop it up so I usually finish with an SE or DE on such occasions. I am quite sure that one day it will be straights only.

Well....hmmph! What I mean to say is 'Whaaat? :001_tt2:

I started straight shaving in July of last year. Never did the SE or DE thing. I used a disposable once since then cause I couldn't carry a straight on the plane. (mistake) The next time I flew I mailed my razors ahead. Leaped!

Top Bottom