What's new

How long until vintage shaving soap loses its scent?

I am looking at some vintage shaving soaps on eBay. Will they retain their scent
if the package has remained sealed? If not, how long until they lose their scent?

There is just no telling until you have the soap physically in your hands. You could always shoot the seller a question. But I wouldn't (don't) count on any scent being left when buying a vintage soap. If there is any, then it is a pleasant surprise.

-jim

It really depends on the soap, the packaging and the conditions in which it was stored. I came across a puck of vintage Old Spice soap in the mug with the plastic lid on it and I was surprised at how strong the scent was. You just never know until you sniff the puck and lather up!

^this is true.

ty

the more scented, the more likely there will be some fading.

i've had vintage shave soaps retain lots of scent, fwiw.

english leather everready rahal december 7 2015.jpg

I have to agree with the other gents who have already proffered advice here.

I've bought plenty over the years and it's generally true. The only thing I've noticed is that if it's sealed you have a greater chance of the scent persisting. But it's still a crap shoot.

Not much help, I know, there you have it.

Chris

I am looking at some vintage shaving soaps on eBay. Will they retain their scent
if the package has remained sealed? If not, how long until they lose their scent?
I don't want to give anyone false hope...but I can relate my experience. I was the blessed recipient of a Vinolia Shave Stick (see Vintage Vinolia Shave Stick) and, although it was made in the 1950's, still retained its amazing Gentleman's Rose scent. The shave sticks had been sealed and the manufacturer is known for its high quality soaps (soaps were on the Titanic, the European Royals use their soaps, etc).

That said, if the manufacturer of the soap has a good reputation and the soap has remained sealed, there very well could be scent remaining...HOWEVER...the scent could fade very quickly after you open it.

...HOWEVER...the scent could fade very quickly after you open it.

I have experienced just that. I received the package, opened it up and the soap smelled wonderful. A week later it smelled like soap. It was still very good soap though, so no disappointment there.

-jim

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
It depends, really. I had shave sticks that were almost un scented. After a few shaves, the scent would be there, no problems. Others, it remained unscented

I used various soaps from the 50s and 70s. It’s a gamble...

Top Bottom