What's new

How long does it take to get competent with a straight razor?

Thanks for all the feedback and encouragement. I did cork the Super Pro blade, otherwise my first time would have been much bloodier. The switching hands thing is confusing, it makes sense, but seems harder as well.I'll keep at it, and try to get 10 or so shaves under my belt. But I can't really see daily shaving with a straight, as some days I just don't have enough time, and rushing with a straight seems foolish and suicidal.

I have been shaving with a straight exclusively for about 10 months. For me it took about 1 month to get excellent shaves using both hands. I am still learning though. At the present time I take about 10-15 minutes for a complete shave. Not much more than with a DE as I recall.

Raf

I'm a klutz with my left hand, but I do use both hands while shaving with a straight. After around three months I have noticed improvement, but the left is nowhere near the right. It will take much time and effort, but it will come around.

andriod-

i have only been at it for a week now and am no where near competent. i have had 2 full 2 pass shaves now. both times the results were good but not quite as close as with a de. since it takes more time to shave i have switched to shaving in the evenings after the chillins are in bed. this allows for me to spend more time concentrating and enjoying. perhaps after a while when i am quicker i might switch back to morning shaving but for now it is a nice routine.

cheers,
ryan

I switched from using DE (that I used for about thirty years) to using a traditional straight razor. I was determined to learn, and so refused to switch back to a DE even when I was having a tough time. I wouldn't recommend this method to others; but with my determination, I would say it took me a least a year to get really proficient at using a straight. However, using a straight razor, in contrast to a Feather AC, also involves learning to strop and hone. I rarely nicked myself when I was starting out, and learned to handle a straight razor quite quickly; when starting out I suffered from occasional razor burn and ingrown hairs. Learning how to strop and hone was the real challenge, but when I finally got the stropping (and honing) down, my straight razor shaves improved considerably. When learning to straight razor shave patience is a virtue. The enjoyment of a good straight razor shave was well worth the time spent learning.

Hal

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I don't use my other hand at all ... to each his own, but for me my bad right hand would just be a liability.

I've tried both switching and not switching hands. I've never cut myself with my off hand, and only one nick from my main hand.

That said, I'm about to really start trying to learn to use my off hand, because the contortions I have to use to use my right hand only are getting silly.

I've been using straights for about 5 years now, most of the time I've been shaving actually. It was really easy at first, I don't remember mutilating myself, or even getting cut that often. But I had fairly light bristles, and only shaved every other, or even every 3 days. I just shaved once over against the grain! Couldn't do that now...

Anyway, a while back I didn't shave for ages, when I went on a 200 mile hike, and then a festival at the end of it. I was out of the habit of shaving when I got back, but eventually by wife bullied me into shaving again, and I really mauled myself, for the next few shaves. My bristles are now really tough, and I need to shave every day! Maybe I just care more now... Eventually I looked on the internet to see if I could find out any more about it, learned about the accepted techniques for shaving, and soon started getting better shaves, going with the grain, and then a second time over, etc. So my shaves were soon taking longer, but I was getting better results than ever before. It also led me into this website, with the result that a stick of Palmolive is no longer good enough, no, I must have Trumpers Sandalwood, followed by an expenive alcohol splash- expensive habits I never had before!

I think if you start off shaving with a straight from the start, with tuition from an experienced user, you have the best chance, while the bristles are soft and so on. But it isn't too hard to learn any time, really, especially with all the information that is now available.

I think if you are going to learn to use a straight the right way you should learn to use both hands. Of course many never do use both hands and get great results but you'll find that when you use both hands certain maneuvers become much easier. Also when you are really ready to prove your mettle with a straight get a traditional Japanese straight where you only use one side of the blade. There both hands are mandatory and even then you have to learn to shave all over again.

Okay, last nite I had my second Feather Straight shave. Tried using left hand too, and it went a little better. Was able to get most of the face and the neck without drama. Still can't get under the nose without fierce nicking. My shapely Cary Grant chin is not so easy either.

I can see it's a learning curve. But even after 3 passes, WTG, ATG, and XTG, I still found that when I compare the closeness of the shave to one quick pass with my M3 or 38C, it is lacking. I like the skill aspect of str8t shaving, but not if the end result is a mediocre shave. I should add I am one of those guys with a heavy, fast growing beard. Shaving every other day is not an option.

Thoughts?

Also, from what guys around here say, shaving with a Feather straight is not the same as shaving with a regular straight, so bear that in mind.

Personally, I find that shaving with my $13 eBay razor (re-scaled by Jo Chandler) I get a shave MUCH closer than with a DE, and I'm not even that good with the straight yet.

I have a question of my own - how many straight users switch hands?

I generally do the whole shave right-handed, but tried switching hands a while back and didn't cut myself. I starting thinking about it while painting this weekend - I was cutting in some borders with the right hand and switched to the left to avoid moving the ladder.

So, anyone switch hands?

Yes, I switch hands and find that I get more control and a better overall shave.

I have been at this for over ten years. Despite the random good, bad, and ugly shaves, I am still learning. An undeniable truth for me is, when I think I know it all.... ouch. Don't rush, learning is great fun.

Top Bottom