What's new

How long does it take to get competent with a straight razor?

I just got a Feather Straight razor, and I've tried shaving with it a couple of times, once with a Pro Guard blade, and once with a Pro Super blade. The Pro Guard was useless, hard to shave and left me with stubble. The Pro Super was a little better. But it is very hard to a) get a close shave, and b) not cut myself fiercely. Even on the easy to shave place like upper cheeks, I didn't really get a super close shave.

Question: How many shaves will it take to get proficient at this? I'm willing to stick with it if I think I can get somewhere reasonably soon.

Straight razor shavers, please comment. Thanks.

First of all I switched from a M3 to a straight. For me as soon as I got a sharp enough blade to shave with the improvement was dramatic.

So for me fairly soon.

On the other hand, I've been doing it for about a year and a half now and I figure out better angles and tricks for spots that are hard all the time.

So although it's something you can learn quite fast. It's also something that you don't completely MASTER that fast.

I've had my AC for exactly two weeks now and I got a near BBS shave from the start. I'd been using a normal straight occasionally for a while beforehand though. Still trying to get the hang of honing. So much easier with the AC.

Still find it difficult getting at some places either side of the Adam's Apple though but I'm getting there. For those really difficult places, I've found it easiest to fold the scales right back as far as they go which makes the who razor quite short and easy to get in at odd angles.

Keep at it, you'll get there soon and it's worth it.

Gareth

I got a DE and became proficient with it after a few shaves. When I changed to the straight, it took maybe a week to get decent results. Another week or so for the chin area. It's maybe a month now and I no longer cut myself (except for yesterday!) and I like the results. The best thing I can tell you is to experiment and see what works.

Honing and stropping have not been an issue since I do the same with kitchen knives and chisels. Nothing new for me there.

On the other hand, I've been doing it for about a year and a half now and I figure out better angles and tricks for spots that are hard all the time.

So although it's something you can learn quite fast. It's also something that you don't completely MASTER that fast.

I agree... I've been using a straight for 3 years. Within the first couple of weeks I was getting acceptable results. After about 1-2 months, the results were getting better and better.

With that said, I just recently changed my grip pretty dramatically... after all this time. And now, my shaves are that much better, even though I had been getting great shaves prior. So, I agree with the above comment that there's always tweaking going on.

Drew

I moved from a DE to a str8 took about week get a smooth shave that lasts well into the next day.
Started with cheeks WTG and move to the more difficult areas and finally moved to ATG the same way

Feathers may be a bit different in terms of the learning curve.

I have a question of my own - how many straight users switch hands?

I generally do the whole shave right-handed, but tried switching hands a while back and didn't cut myself. I starting thinking about it while painting this weekend - I was cutting in some borders with the right hand and switched to the left to avoid moving the ladder.

So, anyone switch hands?

I went from mach 3 to de to straight in a week (go back and forth between the de and the straight now) and on my first straight shave I was presentable, but hurting. Took me 3 shaves to not hurt so much, and now (2 months) I get a presentable shave with a straight that passes the aftershave test.

Switching hands gave me 90% of the cuts I've had so I don't do it.

It took me about 3 weeks before I stopped cutting myself on every shave, and started getting consistantly reasonable shaves. After about 7 months I considered myself "comfortable" and was getting BBS most days. I still have the occasional off day though, I've cut myself 3 times this week including removing the end of my thumb! :eek:

There is a great thread about corking the blade- maybe this will make the initial shaves a bit tamer so you may start on your technique- may help you... it takes one variable out of the picture at the start-

The old shaving manuals say it takes between 6 months and a year to really master straight shaving. For me it took almost a year to get really comfortable with the straight and get comfortable and close shaves. I would say it took me initially about a month before I started to get acceptable shaves.

As to the other question, I use two hands while shaving.

I use two hands. It probably took me 2 months of shaving 5-6 times a week to get work-acceptable shaves. After a year of practice I get BBS or close to it almost everyday now. I'm still learning and have not mastered straights yet. The trip continues to be fun though. :biggrin:

Jordan

I think I am still learning / improving. Especially with the large variety of blades that I use - angles don't always work the same for them, etc.

Switching hands is half the fun :biggrin:

Cheers
Ivo

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
There is a great thread about corking the blade- maybe this will make the initial shaves a bit tamer so you may start on your technique- may help you... it takes one variable out of the picture at the start-

That thread is over in the safety razor forum.

YMMV in terms of how long it takes to get proficient, but it will happen. I started out going from a cartridge razor straight to a Feather, and I managed to nick myself a fair bit to begin with. Some people are more adept at delicate work with their hands, and other people need more time to develop those new motor skills.

Your best shaves with the a blade will come after about three or four shaves ... then the blade really 'rounds into midseason form' and you get some great shaves. (I notice you said one shave with this and one with that blade ... don't toss the blades after one shave; you should be able to get 7-10 shaves with each.)

Thank you Ian-

Very true- if you are using fresh blades each time- you are really getting a blade that is like a laser- very sharp almost too sharp- what I have found out- as well as others- that Feather blades have a three stage mellowing process- too sharp, just right, losing/time to change the blade.

At the price per shave- corking will not really add too much to the final cost and if it brings the just right shave for 5-7 shaves- you are on track- sometimes saving money is not the best way to go when it comes to your face.

I've been shaving with a str8 for 2 weeks now and every day gets better. Improving technique angle, stropping, etc. By the way stropping is no big deal if you pay attention. It doesn't take that long and helps to get you in the zone. For the first week I started with my str8 and finished with my DE.

Getting decent results should not take that long, as was mentioned, mastering the str8 is a whole different story.

I change hands as well without incident.

Would you share a description, or photo(s), of your new grip?

Here is a link: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19669

To another question posted in this thread, I also shave with both hands... I don't know how you "one handers" do it. When you think about it, there's only half as much to learn when shaving with both hands... what you do on one side of the face, you do on the other with the opposite hand. For any beginner out there, I think it's worth trying to learn how to do this. With that said, I understand that some people just can't get the coordination with their off-hand.

Drew

I've been shaving with a straight for three months. I was getting decent shaves within two weeks (having started with a shave-ready razor); I was getting the best shaves of my life within about a month, and things have only gotten better since.

It took me a very, very long time with learning, to hone included, but it was a lot of fun. I think I went through atleast two deep points when I was really uncertain if I would ever get a good shave from a straight.

I really think the expert in wetshaving should know how to use a straight, regardless of whether he intends to stick with it or not.

Top Bottom