What's new

How long do your AC blades last?

I bough a gently used Hawk V2 from a member here and picked up a variety of blades from tryablade. My intent was to used it initially for touchup insight spots: under nose and around my ears and on the nape of my neck for head shaves, though i may eventually use it for entire head shaves.

I started with a Feather Pro Guard, and so far the combination has exceeded my expectations - I can hear the razor cutting on areas I thought the DE razor had already cleaned up.

So far, I have used it to touch up approximately five head shaves and seven face shaves, and the blade still cuts like the day I installed it into the razor.

I know that using it sparingly will prolong blade life, but I was curious about typical blade life. In your experience, how long do these blades last?

10+. It depends on what razor I use them in. I generally get more use with an open blade razor then something like the Vector.
I get 2 to 3 shaves off most de blades.

Open blade, AKA: a shavette?

I usually shoot for six with DE, and figure using the Hawk for touchup it will last much longer. I plan to use the same blade until it stops cutting effectively, which I suppose is likely different for each user.

Good post, got my first ever ac blade razor today, hawk v2 and some feathers, and just had a very enjoyable shave considering it was the first with this razor. I was just going to search for this question 😃

Open blade, AKA: a shavette?

I usually shoot for six with DE, and figure using the Hawk for touchup it will last much longer. I plan to use the same blade until it stops cutting effectively, which I suppose is likely different for each user.
Yes, shavette type razor. I am not sure what the correct terminology is. Shavette is is a trademark name by Dovo for their shavette.

10-15 is pretty common, though you'll see some users only get five or so. It all depends on your tolerance for blades dulling and some users are quick to replace a blade while others squeeze as much as they can out of a blade.
No surprise, just as with DE blades. Some use DE for one shave, others for twenty.

I always look for a solid average when reading responses, and it looks like you are right there at 10 - 15.

Yes, shavette type razor. I am not sure what the correct terminology is. Shavette is is a trademark name by Dovo for their shavette.

Yes, shavette style.

I'm guessing it's like calling all facial tissue "Kleenex". 🙂

Reactions: JPO

Eben Stone

Staff member
I tried pushing the AC blades one shave past the limit, to test their longevity.

23 shaves with the RazoRock Hawk V3-OC
4 shaves with Feather AC SS/SR

I got about the same results with Feather AC Pro, Pro Supers, Schick Prolines, Kai Mild.

Not sure why there is such a difference. It's possible I was using too steep of an angle with the shavettes.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I use the AC 50mm blades and find their longevity are not as good as a SE Gem Personna SS PTFE blade( Gem 9-12 shaves) where the AC blades vary Feather Professional(6-7) Schick proline p30(5-6) Kai Protouch (6) seems to be my average.
I enjoy the AC 50mm blade system for SE shaving and use many blade systems like Oneblade, Schick injectors, DE razors and ASR razors(Gem) in different razors and I do count my shaves per blade!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I was a bit disappointed to only get 3 decent shaves from the Schick Proline P-30s and the Kai non guarded blades. I get 6 or 7 from the Feather ProGuards and the Kai Captain Titan Mild MG blades and oddly enough, the guarded blades give me a smoother and more effortless shave. The Feather ProSoft Guarded blades came in third but those two made it to the top of testing I did.... now I have to use up the other blades I bought.

I was a bit disappointed to only get 3 decent shaves from the Schick Proline P-30s and the Kai non guarded blades. I get 6 or 7 from the Feather ProGuards and the Kai Captain Titan Mild MG blades and oddly enough, the guarded blades give me a smoother and more effortless shave. The Feather ProSoft Guarded blades came in third but those two made it to the top of testing I did.... now I have to use up the other blades I bought.
You must have one tough beard only getting three shaves with a Proline!

I get 3 shaves from a Feather Pro in a kamisori style holder. That's 3.5 passes per shave. I have some Kai milds but I haven't really spent any time exploring them. First shave with the Mild was comfortable but not close. Might have been user error. I'll give it another shot sometime.

I have too many straights in my rotation so I haven't really been tempted to explore other AC format blades.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
You must have one tough beard only getting three shaves with a Proline!
Old man whiskers, I tell you... I used three of them because I couldn't believe it myself. It's a very highly regarded blade here, favored by many Vector users. I bought two 30 blade packages. I'll have to force myself to use them up. At least, they are one of the least expensive AC blades.

Top Bottom