What's new

How long do things last for you?

It depends on quality of the stuff.
My findings are that the big companies do not produce really high quality clothes anymore.
My US made Ralph Lauren Bayport cotton jacket is over 20 years with me. A Diesel jeans jacket nearly 30 years.
A Levis 501 nearly 20 years.
A Hilfiger jeans has fallen apart within 3 years. Their shirts last much, much longer.

Yes, unfortunately I think you're right about quality going down at big companies. In particular, I think Boss stuff is very hit or miss. I have a pair of leather gloves that are about 15 years old and they remain fantastic but a more recent purchase of a pair of knit gloves was very disappointing. Boss socks are typically fantastic too, and I have many pairs that are probably at least 10 years old and still worn regularly. Also a big fan of Boss neckties. But with one notable exception, I've been disappointed how well Boss chinos and jeans hold up.

I've been disappointed with Levi's and Dockers the last several years too. My Levi's of choice are 505s, but they are so variable when it comes to fit I find that they really need to be tried on before buying. Still love my Docker's K-1s, but those must be getting close to 15 years old at this point. Uniqlo is usually excellent quality for the price, but I recently had a very nice looking pair of chinos that were developing holes by the back pockets after less than 10 wearings.

Lacoste quality is generally quite good in my opinion, and if you're able to score something you like on clearance the brand can provide excellent value. I have several polos that are more than 10 years old and only one is past the point of looking presentable. Lacoste's chinos are excellent, and they are probably the best pants I've found.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Yes, unfortunately I think you're right about quality going down at big companies. In particular, I think Boss stuff is very hit or miss. I have a pair of leather gloves that are about 15 years old and they remain fantastic but a more recent purchase of a pair of knit gloves was very disappointing. Boss socks are typically fantastic too, and I have many pairs that are probably at least 10 years old and still worn regularly. Also a big fan of Boss neckties. But with one notable exception, I've been disappointed how well Boss chinos and jeans hold up.

I've been disappointed with Levi's and Dockers the last several years too. My Levi's of choice are 505s, but they are so variable when it comes to fit I find that they really need to be tried on before buying. Still love my Docker's K-1s, but those must be getting close to 15 years old at this point. Uniqlo is usually excellent quality for the price, but I recently had a very nice looking pair of chinos that were developing holes by the back pockets after less than 10 wearings.

Lacoste quality is generally quite good in my opinion, and if you're able to score something you like on clearance the brand can provide excellent value. I have several polos that are more than 10 years old and only one is past the point of looking presentable. Lacoste's chinos are excellent, and they are probably the best pants I've found.
I was devoted to Lacoste polos, but they kept getting harder and harder to find. I gave the store brand polos from O'Connell's a try and actually prefer them! They are a comfortable fit with nice long tails and wear very well. I only wish they had more colors, but a drawer with five (navy, white, hunter, pink, and flamingo) got me through the summer just fine.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I was devoted to Lacoste polos, but they kept getting harder and harder to find. I gave the store brand polos from O'Connell's a try and actually prefer them! They are a comfortable fit with nice long tails and wear very well. I only wish they had more colors, but a drawer with five (navy, white, hunter, pink, and flamingo) got me through the summer just fine.

I am a big fan of Lacoste polos and have collected a dozen or so over the years.

After washing (on cold), I never put them in the dryer and always lay them flat to air dry which helps with the longevity of these shirts.

The dryer just beats the heck out of them.

I have a couple of Penneys pocket T-shirts from the 80s, that I still wear when working around the house or apt. I can tell them by all the holes. I also have 6 pair of BVD boxer briefs, from last century, that I wear occasionally. They still fit well and I miss that brand. I also have a 20+ yo Lands End reversible winter hooded coat. One side is a (now-filthy) bright orange that I wore at trucking and dump sites for work, before retiring in 2010. I hated putting on a safety vest over a winter coat for work, and I wore this coat in lieu of a vest. I had planned to toss it upon retirement, but it's the warmest coat I've ever had and I still wear it for shoveling snow.

Top Bottom